PDA

View Full Version : MINITUB?? or NOT???

ViperBlue68
09-02-2004, 02:54 PM
hey guys I was wondering if $1,500 to minitub my 68 Camaro sounds about right?? I pay for rear end (9"inch) and coilovers etc. ive seen the guys work its nice and clean, also I just had the car completly painted its getting a full custom leather interior installed along with all the power goodies now...will it hurt the paint or should i have had this done before hand??? the main reason I want it done is I can get alot of different wheel and tire choices under there I cant now...any feedback would be appreciated.

rsk68
09-02-2004, 03:28 PM
sounds a little on the cheap side, its a 40 to 60 hr job to do it right.

RSK68
Rick KLein

camcojb
09-02-2004, 03:41 PM
VERY cheap!

Jody

Ralph LoGrasso
09-02-2004, 04:00 PM
sounds a little on the cheap side, its a 40 to 60 hr job to do it right.

RSK68
Rick KLein

I have about 45 hours in mine, and I had to clean up and get the car able to roll after I worked on it each time. It's definitely done right, Dad was a body man. We also made all custom close outs. I'd say 60 hours for a professional shop is alot, even if they're widening the tubs themselves.

$1500 is a good deal.

StRacerDuke
09-02-2004, 04:03 PM
That's rather low, but if you know how nice the guy's work is then I'd say jump on the opportunity. Some people will price themselves low to help people out if they like the job, or they only do it on the side and don't have to support a full shop with high overhead.

I would highly suggest doing it before final paint. This way you reduce the risk of damaging the paint during the install. If you choose to do it after make sure that your guy has done it before. He'll probable have to split the stock dub down the seam and put a stretch piece in. If he cuts the entire tub out and fab's it from scratch after paint then I wouldn't suggest it.

The camaro I just painted only had one mini-tub done and the other one was completely removed. (We were on a timeline because I'm leaving for Italy in a week). My buddy did leave the stock double lip on the inner finder so he could tack weld to it and not apply direct heat to the painted pannel. I wouldn't suggest this unless you are really comfortable with your welder and a little crazy. Remember, anything can be fixed, just but it much cheaper and quicker to do it right the first time.

Oh, and I would go with the mini-tub so you don't have to use bicycle tires :)

Just my 2 cents.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-02-2004, 04:06 PM
I forgot to comment about the paint, I agree with Ryan, I would MOST DEFINITELY do it before paint. The only place I would trust to do it after the car had been painted would be Detroit Speed and Engineering, since they've done it so many times. I'm doing ALL of my fab work before paint. I may have to do the body work to keep things moving, but it will only be roughed out, and will be re-blocked a few times after everything is done fab wise, before it is painted.

XcYZ
09-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Ralph, it's a fun job, isn't it. LOL I'm glad I'm done.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Ralph, it's a fun job, isn't it. LOL I'm glad I'm done.

:lmao: Nothing like squeezing in that trunk!! :headbang:

ViperBlue68
09-02-2004, 10:54 PM
thanx for all the feedback guys its been useful the guy just finished a 69 Camaro that turned out nice and it was allready painted but Im still VERY hesitant because the car just got out of the paint shop (still needs to be cut and sanded final detail after interior is complete) and you guys pretty much agree with me that I should have done it before paint and since Im on the West Coast I can count out DSE (besides it would probably cost me alot more than the $1,500 this local guy quoted me)....dillemas suck! :bsjerk:

XcYZ
09-03-2004, 04:26 AM
Ralph, the problem wasn't so much getting in to the trunk, it was getting back out again!! LOL!!

68protouring454
09-03-2004, 04:56 AM
i would go ahead and do it, if it has not been cut and buffed yet, it can be touched up easily, especially if nothing is really assembled, just make sure they tape all edges with 2-3 layers of tape and use soft cloths on rear panels etc so when i air hoe rubs on it, really doing alot of the work inside the wheel well and car, so it can be done alot easier than other things after paint, go for it!!
jake

Ralph LoGrasso
09-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Scott,

Yeah getting out again was a pain. Sparks flying while welding and getting burnt in there sucked too!

jeffandre
09-03-2004, 09:57 AM
The trunk is tighter when minitubbed, which is precisely why I built a recessed fuel cell containment box with a removeable bottom section so that I can pop up into the trunk (with cell removed of course) and get to everything. I'm 40 now and getting in and of the trunk is close to impossible at times...Pics will be available in a month or two.

Jeff

ProdigyCustoms
09-03-2004, 03:00 PM
We have done a few of DSEs tubs now. One on a killer painted car, no problems. 40 hours is correct for a coupe, more for a convertible. Make sure they tape moving blankets over the panels, then cover the blankets with 4 mil plastic sheeting (not the thin paint plastic sheeting).
If the guy is a pro, it should be no problem.

Steve N 69 69 69
09-05-2004, 01:44 PM
I guess I'm tall, I never had to get into the trunk, I just leaned WAY in, and did a lot from inside the car.( YES MY BACK STILL HURTS)
I would do it for 1500.00 for a friend, but not a penny less, it is a lot of work. and given the choice I would wait untill ALL the fab work is done before painting, just easier,safer,better end results.
what are you going to do for shock mounts,spring relocation,fuel tank..? theres a lot more to it, then just getting the tubs installed.