PDA

View Full Version : Types of ignition.

TheRoaringEagle
09-02-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm not familiar with ignition so this should be a simple question. What types of ignition are there? I've got the stock points on my 70 400 SBC. What're points, what's so bad about it, and what's my best options to upgrade?

:camaro:

gmachinz
09-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Well, I can shed a little light on the topic. Points are not liked mainly because of how often you must change them and because they don't handle high voltage well which means a lot on a pump gas engine. That is why there is a resistance wire (stainless steel core) running to your coil coming from your fuse box under the hood-and some run through a ballist resistor as well. Now, HEI came into play to offer a hotter spark for engine swith ever-increasing emissions saddled equipment and cat-piss octane ratings. HEI is fairly reliable up to 4,500. For a basic tried and true upgrade, think about the HEI conversion-it's very easy and straightforward. Just remember to open your gaps up to .045-you can open them further based on engine modifications as far as .060 but that's another subject. I have also had great success with using a Petronix conversion which replaces the points/condensor with a solid state control module and reluctor plate. I ran an Ignitor Series I for three years with no problems on a '70 Monte Carlo. Ignition systems are very mis-understood and everyone has there own ideas of what they do but one has to understand what the differences between them are before making a conscious decision on what is best for their application. Rather than brow-beat and chest-thump on a forum, I'd be more than happy to discuss any ignition topic or theory anyone may [email protected] -Jabin

OLDFLM
09-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Dave just moved to AZ and is setting his shop back up but should
be ready for business again on the 20th.
Check out his site: http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/
He takes your old points dist and converts it...
I'm having mine done for $135 to trigger an MSD 6AL.

rob07002
09-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Just my $.02, but why not buy a brand new MSD Billet Dist. or Mallory Unilite and be done with it they cost $225 - $180 respectivly and are headache free. Not to mention provide plenty of spark even on a 13:1 motor..... Ive had/seen too many drivability/ race issues that ended up being an ignition prob.... IMO not a place to cheap out when its not a big cost to begin with..