PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Writing Jobs in the Bay Area

TonyHuntimer
05-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Is anyone looking for a job writing service and repair manuals?

Tesla Motors in Fremont is looking for a Tech Writer. It's a great job! You'd get some hands on work in the shop on brand new cars, but you'd go home clean 99% of the time...with a GREAT salary. You don't have to know anything about electric drive systems...you just need to know about cars in general.

I'm tech writing for Fisker Automotive. These automotive tech writing positions are great careers. If you're on this site, there's a good chance you've read a few repair manuals. If you can write and know cars...tech writing in this field is a good move.

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/careers

There may be more tech writing jobs in this field in San Jose coming available in a few months too.

Good luck,
Tony Huntimer

DTM Racing
05-02-2012, 07:30 AM
That sounds like an awesome opportunity.

TonyHuntimer
05-02-2012, 08:28 AM
It really is. There's something to be said for working around cars but not getting dirty and doing it in an air conditioned environment. I love it!

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

carguy502
05-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Is there any possibility of a remote position? I work at Edmunds.com (Car website) in Santa Monica and while I would consider the move, I would not mind doing the job remotely. I do have a Fisker dealer just down the road from me...

Don

TonyHuntimer
05-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Hey all,

Just so I'm clear about this job...I only know about this job because they tried to recruit me. I'm currently tech writing for Fisker Automotive and I'm extremely happy with my job, so I passed on this great opportunity. I post any car-related jobs I find on the P-T message board hoping fellow members can benefit.

If you have any writing experience, a little photography experience (know how to get the subject in focus and visible in the photo), and have decent car knowledge...I suggest you take a shot and apply. It can't hurt. Here's the direct link to the job I'm refering to:

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA7/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=TESLA&cws=1&rid=4869

Here's the details if the link breaks for some reason:
ABOUT TESLA
Tesla's goal is to produce a full range of electric cars, from sports cars to mass-market vehicles – relentlessly driving down the cost of electric vehicles. It is currently the only U.S. automaker that builds and sells highway-capable EVs in serial production. Palo Alto, California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs and EV powertrain components. Tesla has delivered more than 1,600 Roadsters to customers in North America, Europe and the Asia Pacific Region. Model S, the first premium sedan to be built from the ground up as an electric vehicle, goes on the market in mid-2012.

Tesla Motors designs and sells high-performance, highly efficient electric sports cars — with no compromises. Tesla Motors cars combine style, acceleration, and handling with advanced technologies that make them among the quickest and the most energy-efficient cars on the road.

Position Description
■ We are looking for a technical writer with an automotive background that can reasonably understand the complex problems that occur on a modern high tech automobile. There is no requirement to understand the latest EV technology; we will train on these systems if needed. A general understanding of automotive technology and how good technical support helps the end beneficiary, the customer, is required.
■ This position will encompass a few roles; developing new document templates, understanding document control, creation of new templates, and helping manage the process flow of document development.
■ Essential Duties/Responsibilities
■ Writing technical automotive documents with the primary focus on service bulletins for the service department but not excluding various training aids and internal communications documents. These documents are intended for internal use.
■ Develop written standards and formats for all technical documents
■ Manage the current documents and all new documents in a document/change control database.
■ Follow up with various engineering and quality teams to gather technical information. Understand the problems and communicate them into the proper bulletin.
■ Validate the information for accuracy and use a routing process to get approval on the documents.

Qualifications/Skills
■ Bachelor’s degree in English with an emphasis in technical writing and/or 2-4 years of technical writing experience.
■ Experience in automotive repair or automotive engineering (design, testing, etc.)
■ Must be able to extract and comprehend system operation from typical engineering documentation (schematics, subsystem specifications or equipment spec docs)
■ Strong attention to detail and personal organization.
■ High literacy in MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint
■ Proven professional attitude toward work assignments, toward customer relationships, and toward company/department Lean goals and vision.
■ High interpersonal communication skills.
■ Be a pro-active team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
■ Good problem solving skills.
■ Ability to work with little supervision.
■ Have positive attitude toward change and inevitable mid-project course corrections.
■ Moderate skill in photography and audio visual a plus.
■ Mechanical aptitude with hand tools and the ability to perform basic repairs on an automobile a plus.
■ Knowledge of Adobe FrameMaker a plus.

The job is listed as being located in Palo Alto. I understand that it will start out there, but will be moving to Fremont at the old Numi plant in a few months.

Good luck everyone!

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Rod
05-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the lead Tony

TonyHuntimer
05-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Is there any possibility of a remote position? I work at Edmunds.com (Car website) in Santa Monica and while I would consider the move, I would not mind doing the job remotely. I do have a Fisker dealer just down the road from me...

Don

Hey Don,

I know Tesla needs somebody in the office 5 days a week. If that is a deal breaker, that's okay. You never know, there may be an automotive tech writing job coming available in Southern California in the future.

There's always the job at Harbor Freight in Calabasas at their main headquarters: http://www.harborfreight.com/corporate_opportunities.html

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com