PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Flywheel ?

Jim Nilsen
04-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Is it possible to have an aluminum flywheel that is able to be used for an internally balanced engine and an externally balanced engine by just adding the weight to it when you need it to be externally balanced? It sounds relatively possible and and simple but there is no information anywhere that suggest that it is.

I am looking for a 168 tooth 2 pc seal aluminum flywheel that can do both.

Randy67
04-05-2012, 05:28 AM
You could use this balance plate to accomplish what you want: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1955-85-Small-Block-Chevy-Balancing-Plate,3262.html

andrewb70
04-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Is it possible to have an aluminum flywheel that is able to be used for an internally balanced engine and an externally balanced engine by just adding the weight to it when you need it to be externally balanced? It sounds relatively possible and and simple but there is no information anywhere that suggest that it is.

I am looking for a 168 tooth 2 pc seal aluminum flywheel that can do both.

No, because the crank registers are different diameter between the internally and externally balanced engines. The crank register is important because it is what centers the flywheel on the crank.

Andrew

John Wright
04-05-2012, 06:58 AM
McLeod has flywheels that you can add weight to go from zero balance to external balance.....
http://www.mcleodracing.com/products/default.asp?id=5125

Buy the flywheel with the correct crank register and then add the weight to go from neutral balance to external balance.

Jim Nilsen
04-08-2012, 06:00 AM
McLeod has flywheels that you can add weight to go from zero balance to external balance.....
http://www.mcleodracing.com/products/default.asp?id=5125

Buy the flywheel with the correct crank register and then add the weight to go from neutral balance to external balance.

Thanks for finding that John, I went and checked it out and it is possible to have 2 in 1. The one thing about it is that it is $750. I don't know why but it is really expensive. I can damn near buy 1 of each for the same money and get twice as much use out of my money.

I am waiting to hear from Fidanza to see if they can make me one for less. If not I will probably just buy an externally balanced flywheel and keep using the aluminum one I have with the 355 when needed, it has been turned down all it can and only weighs 7lb but it still works well.

John Wright
04-09-2012, 03:14 AM
Jim, I have no idea why they love their flywheels that much...seems like a lot of money to me too.

Jim Nilsen
04-09-2012, 03:32 PM
I got to talk to Ed at Fidanza and their zero blance flywheels only need the weight to be used for external balanced engines. The great news is that the flywheel is only 13.4 lb instead of 18 lb which makes it still lighter with the weight added.

The flywheel is PT#198681 at $466 suggested retail price and the external weight is PT#624001 at $16.95. The other great thing is that I can get it thru my local "HotrodShop" and it will come from Lanes. so I get to support my local speed shop and the sponsor of the "Motorstate Challenge"

It isn't that much more than other flywheels that are comparable and the fact that I have seen Fidanza flywheels up close and personal and know how precise and beautiful they are along with being made in America right in OHIO !!!!

It also accepts both 10.5 and 11in. clutches making very versitile.

Thanks for the help everyone and now I can move on to putting the 383 in the car and have the 355 for a backup.