PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to break in a new rear end?

DarkoNova
03-30-2012, 08:12 PM
I had my 10 bolt rebuilt a couple years ago after destroying it (had a slow leak, ran it dry, and the gears basically annihilated themselves -_-). Since then, I've had it on jack stands and I turned the wheels once or twice a week. Now that the engine is back in the car, what's the best way to break in the gears? All I've done is taken it around the block a couple times. I know when I got the rear end, it had a piece of paper that said something like drive for 10 minutes, let it cool, drive for 20 minutes, let it cool, etc.

I don't really remember the rest, though...

sik68
03-30-2012, 08:21 PM
When I saw your title, I thought you were giving us some follow up on this thread (https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?87196-Married-people-how-the-amp-*-do-you-do-it&highlight=married) :poke:

TheJDMan
04-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Just drive it.

Simmo
04-02-2012, 11:34 PM
When I saw your title, I thought you were giving us some follow up on this thread (https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?87196-Married-people-how-the-amp-*-do-you-do-it&highlight=married) :poke:

clever haha...

To the OP, hopefully that all worked itself out!

JEFFTATE
04-03-2012, 05:28 AM
The first time you drive it , take it easy on it .
Drive about 25 miles , then let it cool down.
Drive it another 25 miles , then let it cool down.
Then drive it easily for 300 to 500 miles and change the lube in it .

Here is the break-in procedure from Randy's Ring and Pinion .
What is the break-in proceedure for a new set of gears?
All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. After driving the first 15 or 20 miles it is best to let the differential cool before proceeding. I recommend at least 500 miles before towing. I also recommend towing for very short distances (less than 15 miles) and letting the differential cool before continuing during the first 45 towing miles. This may seem unnecessary but I have seen many differentials damaged from being loaded before the gear set was broken in.
I also recommend changing the gear oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set.

HarleyR
04-04-2012, 05:20 PM
non- synthetic gear oil is a good idea also

carguykeith
04-04-2012, 06:22 PM
My setup kit from Yukon Gears said basically the same as Rady's does. A question I have though if someone knows, what about used gears? I changed posi to go to 30 spline but reused the gears, I assume I can't just hammer it from the get-go and should do something similiar?