PDA

View Full Version : 460 CI Ford engine won't crank when hot

Hotwhilz
03-30-2012, 02:43 AM
Hi Guys a friend of mine had baught a Torino with a 460 CI engine in the car, the car starts fine when cold and stall on compression point when hot! it also overheat a bit, I suggested looking at the ignition advance, but no luck, we replace the starter ( was a mini starter at first, replace with a stock style one and same deal, do you guys know the solution to our problem?
Let me know
Regards

Ben

johngross
03-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Assuming the starter is good and the battery strong...and that you are talking about a cranking problem.... hold the key on for 4 or 5 seconds (while the engine is trying to turn over but failing) Then touch the battery cables with your fingers at all the connections on the battery, starter and relay. The point of current resistence will feel much warmer, maybe even hot. good luck

kmdracer
03-30-2012, 05:45 AM
My first thought is vapor lock. The fuel lines may be routed too close to headers, etc, and the fuel is vaporizing when the lines are heat soaked. This used to be quite common on old cars.
As for the overheating, that could be lack of radiator flow or wrong radiator if motor was swapped in. Could be a pump going bad, bad or missing thermostat, etc.