PDA

View Full Version : timken bearing play

pedro
02-17-2012, 06:55 PM
I am installing new timken tappered bearings in moser 12 bolt w/ big ford ends, new style. After torquing bolts down to 35ft-lbs I get .008" of end play, about the same as I had with the roller bearings (after 8 auto-x's and 1 track day). I plan on picking up 12 bolt carrier shims tomorrow to try and get rid of some of the play. The question is how much play should there be? Leave a little end play? Shim until I get Zero? Or shim until zero then add another shim to pre-load the bearing?

I have the wilwood floating caliper set up and using wilwoods retainer.

Thanks
Pete

Kenny
02-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Is this a hot or cold measurement? If it is cold, take that measurement and subtract the hot measurement to get a ballpark of how much shim you want to zero it out at operating temps without bind.

David Pozzi
02-21-2012, 11:08 PM
A Timken bearing is a tapered roller bearing. Did you switch from a BALL bearing to Timken?

pedro
02-22-2012, 05:12 AM
A Timken bearing is a tapered roller bearing. Did you switch from a BALL bearing to Timken?

Yes, switching from sealed ball bearing to timken tapered roller bearing. Sorry for some reason I picked up the term roller bearing for the sealed ball bearings.

I talked to another member on the forum who has a little play and hasn't had any issues with it, so I think I am just going to with what I got. The carrier shims did not fit anyway, ID to small.

Pete

David Pozzi
08-28-2012, 09:25 PM
I think the ball bearing will maintain less end play for a longer time than a tapered roller bearing. I don't see any way to shim the inboard axle on a Ford wheel bearing & reduce end play.