PDA

View Full Version : The new rules 2012

dontlifttoshift
02-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Goodguys AutoCross Rules 2012
1. The classes for 2012 will be as follows: Pro-Class, Street Machine, Street Rod, Truck and Super Sunday Late Models.
2. All classes will have the following rules:
3. DOT tires and tread wear will be limited to 200 minimum. Any tread wear below that will be exhibition only and times will not be recorded or promoted.
4. Must have all lug nuts on each wheel and must remove hub caps during runs.
5. Batteries must be secure by mechanical fastener.
6. Overflow on the radiator is mandatory.
7. Brake pedal must have good resistance and not go to the floor.
8. Steering column must be tight and secure.
9. Seat belts must be a minimum of a lap belt and secured to the body, bar, seat anchor bolt or frame. Any passenger riding must also have a seatbelt.
10. Gas cap or over flow must not leak on the track.
11. All entries will have all body panels of such vehicle. (Fenders, doors, hood, deck lid and bed sides on trucks)
12. Must have front and rear glass or plastic and side windows must be rolled down during run times.
13. Throttle must have a return spring.
14. After any situation vehicle may have to be re-inspected at the desertion of track official.
15. All entries must be registered with Goodguys at the event and must be street licensed, insured and no race cars.
16. The registered name on the vehicle window sticker will be the only driver that times can be counted or displayed. If you have two drivers you must have two window stickers with the different driver names. If someone else drives the car that is not listed times will not count.
17. All entries must run a Goodguys AutoCross decal to run on the track, you will get this after the vehicle is teched.
18. You must be present at the end of your class competition if you are the winner of the class for pictures and the awards. If you are not you will not receive the prizes and the runner up will become the new winner. Must go through awards on Sunday.
19. All passengers must be 18 years or older unless riding with parents and then they must be 16 or older.
20. Driver must have a state issued license and proof of insurance.
21. All loose items must be removed from the vehicle.
22. Helmets are not required; the course will be designed to keep speeds below 35MPH.
23. All decisions made by race official will be enforced and are final.
24. No unsafe driving will be tolerated.
25. Cone penalty is 1 second off your time.
Tech will open about one hour before racing starts. Please stay with your car until it has made it through tech and you have your decal. Pit space is limited and will be first come first served. If stalls become open during the day we will fill with cars from the waiting area. You will have until 9am on two days of competition to go back to your same pit stall if you do not your space will be given away.

PRO-Class:
• Sponsors of the AutoCross are automatically put into the PRO-Class. The Street Machine, Street Rod and Truck class winners after each event will be in the PRO-Class for the remainder of that season.
• Sponsor cars must be house cars only, or owned by a full time employee of the sponsor.
• Drivers of the PRO-Class must be full time employees of the sponsoring company or the driver that was in the vehicle that won its class to move up.
• PRO-Class will run at the top of every hour at the discretion of the track officials.
• PRO-Class will be running for an award and the chance to be in a feature in the Goodguys Gazette at seasons end.
• There will be an official PRO-Class decal for your window once you qualify for that class.
• PRO-Class vehicles must be 1972 or older ONLY.
Street Machine Class:
• All vehicles must be 1955 to 1972 production style cars, kit cars representing a production car are allowed.
• Goodguys Get-Togethers at Pleasanton will be 1955 and newer production style cars in this class.
Street Rod Class:
• All vehicles must be 1955 or older cars, no trucks, deliveries or panels allowed in this class.
• High-Boys and Roadsters are not required to run fenders.
Truck Class:
• Must be 1972 or older at the National events and all year trucks at the Pleasanton Get-Togethers.
• Any vehicle with a Bed, Panel trucks, Deliveries, El Caminos and Rancheros will be in this class.
Super Sunday Late Models:
• All 1973 and newer cars and trucks will be in this class and can only run on Sundays at the Nationals events.
• Tread wear should be production equipped rate or 200 minimum.

Goodguys Sponsor Shootout:
The Columbus Sponsor Shootout will be limited to 1972 and older vehicles only.
Rules on the Shootout will be sent to the sponsors of the AutoCross before Columbus. Each sponsor will get one entry into the Shootout and a chance at the $5000.00.
-----

Pretty Lame.....Will all the showcars only get one trophy this year? "I'm sorry Sir you already won a trophy and it just wouldn't be fair if you got another one." I would REALLY like someone to explain the thinking behind this.

Donny

Bad94
02-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Dont fully understand "PRO-Class will run at the top of every hour at the discretion of the track officials"

So at the start of the day Pro class run(which is 9 am) then at 10am they run again, at 11am they run again, and so on?

dontlifttoshift
02-16-2012, 03:55 PM
I would also like clarification on some things. I think some of these questions others might like answers to as well.

• Sponsors of the AutoCross are automatically put into the PRO-Class. The Street Machine, Street Rod and Truck class winners after each event will be in the PRO-Class for the remainder of that season.

So only sponsors will run pro class? So then companies like Hotchkis, Heidts, Gateway, Spectre, etc would run street machine, street rod, or truck until they got the one win they are allowed before they are deemed a pro? Did Rob McGaffin just get bumped into Pro class with PHR Project Olds? Sorry Rob.

Does the vehicle or the driver get moved to Pro class? Potentially, I could end up in Pro and my lovely wife Angela would still be in street rod until she obliterates the street rod class. Maybe I will drive a certain Chevelle and put a tall guy in the roadster after we meet our win quotas.

• Sponsor cars must be house cars only, or owned by a full time employee of the sponsor.

So an official autocross sponsor may not drive a customer's car in pro class, are they legal in a regular class then? Does a sticker kit make the vehicle a "house car"?

• PRO-Class will run at the top of every hour at the discretion of the track officials.

Like Dan, I am curious about this as well. Pro class to start each session I get but top of every hour? I would imagine there would be events where non pro cars only run a 1/2 hour at a time. Hell if enough previous winners show up non pro's may not run hardly at all.

• PRO-Class vehicles must be 1972 or older ONLY.

I guess Mary only gets to drive on Sunday's.

• Tread wear should be production equipped rate or 200 minimum.

We're back to 200 then?

I am sure I sound like a whiner but I am pretty pissed about the one win and go to Pro class thing. In my eyes this is a pretty drastic change to what was a really a simple ruleset. To pull my car from street rod class or Rob McGregor's truck from truck class because of a win just doesn't make sense. Yeah, we both bring machetes to a knife fight but DSE and Ridetech are shooting canons.

parsonsj
02-16-2012, 04:02 PM
My favorite:

14. After any situation vehicle may have to be re-inspected at the desertion of track official.

dontlifttoshift
02-16-2012, 04:08 PM
I think that means we have to bring Chad ice cream while he looks at our cars.

Bad94
02-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Donny, Im with you on a few things, not sure how much i want to post on how i feel on this. Some may say im just crying. But im thinking about the new guys/gals that are wanting to have fun.

I have a customer with a 59 Wagon, that want to do autox at GG's but he isnt about sitting all day and only getting 3 runs in.

musclecarmatt
02-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Donny, Im with you on a few things, not sure how much i want to post on how i feel on this. Some may say im just crying. But im thinking about the new guys/gals that are wanting to have fun.

I have a customer with a 59 Wagon, that want to do autox at GG's but he isnt about sitting all day and only getting 3 runs in.

i'm agree....i hope the non pro cars get to run a fair share........i would think its all about the people bring out their cars and having fun...didnt see a problem way the old rules were....at goodguys charlotte i had somewhere around 16 runs that what made it fun....kept the adrenline flowing...

SLO_Z28
02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
I guess Mary only gets to drive on Sunday's.

We're back to 200 then?

Mary is kind of double excluded from the rules, 1973 and its not owned by a full time employee of the sponsor, Hotchkis is a sponsor right?

Id bet the 200 treadwear is because Bridgestone dropped as a sponsor for some reason, so Good-Guys is trying to screw with their cars.

AutoX_a_Truck?
02-16-2012, 05:51 PM
3. DOT tires and tread wear will be limited to 200 minimum. Any tread wear below that will be exhibition only and times will not be recorded or promoted.

Well, so much for my $1,000 set of Kumhos

11. All entries will have all body panels of such vehicle. (Fenders, doors, hood, deck lid and bed sides on trucks)

I guess someone complained about my fenderless truck! So can I even run for fun? And if I manage to fit some stock style fenders that are chopped down to the scale of my truck am I eligible to win or is my truck just flat out not eligible to compete let alone win?

mpozzi
02-16-2012, 09:00 PM
I emailed Ed my thoughts and I know he was receptive but he's not the only one involved with these rules. It's no big deal and I'm glad they made this announcement as its saving me a ton of $$$ this spring, summer, and fall.

There are a lot of other events that I can attend where this "one year newer even though the body didn't change" won't be an issue. Good Guys has had that 1972 model year firmly implanted for many years and it appears it's now cast in stone ...

It was fun ...

Mary P.

SLO_Z28
02-16-2012, 09:31 PM
I emailed Ed my thoughts and I know he was receptive but he's not the only one involved with these rules. It's no big deal and I'm glad they made this announcement as its saving me a ton of $$$ this spring, summer, and fall.

There are a lot of other events that I can attend where this "one year newer even though the body didn't change" won't be an issue. Good Guys has had that 1972 model year firmly implanted for many years and it appears it's now cast in stone ...

It was fun ...

Mary P.

I was thinking the same thing. Plenty of other places to play where the rules don't change every year. I guess hotchkis isn't a GG sponsor, but they are running their own autocrosses at the NMCA events this year...

Bryce
02-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Well this does not really affect guys like me....

I am a rookie and not sponsored.

But remember at the end of the weekend its all about fun. We can all come back on PT.com and post our best times and brag about the winner. I wouldnt run at GG delmar only for a prize.

Mr.VENGEANCE
02-17-2012, 08:17 AM
walks in... doesnt care... walks out.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Goodguy Ed
02-17-2012, 02:21 PM
I will try to explain some of your questions.

The classes Street Machine, Street Rod and Truck will be running for the Gift certicicates and an Award at every event. The Pro-Class will be running for the Billet award and a chance to be the Pro-Class winner of the year and get a mini-feature in the Goodguys Gazette.

To start off the season the Pro-Class will have the RideTech cars, DSE cars, Roadster shop cars and the JetHot cars to name a few. As you win your class ( SM, SR and Truck) you will receive the certificates and then move up into the Pro-Class and get to run at the top of each hour. The other classes will run in order and break at the top of the hour to run the few sponsors and Pro-Class guys.

House cars are only when talking about the sponsor of the Pro-Class and not any other car. If Hotchkis has their Challenger at Del Mar they will run in the Street machine class, if they win they will then be moved into the Pro-Class so they only get one set of gift certificates and it give other PARTICIPANTS a chance to win the prizes and not just one guy all year or at multipal events.

As far as the Pro-Class running at the top of every hour if the class is to big the track guys can change that but we do not figure that the Pro-Class will be more that 10 guys at an event.

Goodguys events have been open to all vehicles 1972 and older for 20 plus years and vehicles 1973 and newer were aloud to be at the three Get-togethers only until NOW. Goodguys saw the need to open our events up to later model cars at all events but the Pleasanton event in August this will be on SUNDAY only and will include the AutoCross and Awards. 1972 and older for Friday and Saturday and Super Sunday is all years American made or powered.

There is nothing that changed about cars 1973 and newer coming to our events. This has always been the year cutoff at our events. We just now opened it up to let them come to all events on Sunday.

I hope this answers the questions that are coming up on this and that Goodguys did not change to NOT let the 1973 into the events for this year we are letting them in just on Sunday which we never did before.

The 200 treadwear was what all the other AutoCross events are running and that was where we started so we are just going back to that so tires are not the deciding factor on the cars if you were running other events and could not buy tires for an event of a lower treadwear.

Goodguys is hoping that we do two things with these new rules. One the AutoCross Pro-Class puts on a good show to draw more people to want to be part of it. Two it gives other participants the ability to win the prizes and not see the same guy win every time the Goodguys event comes to town. We hope that this will also give each participant a fair amount of runs so more people want to do it. We are always going to have to situation with growth of a part of the event so we need to make rules to continue to make this part of our event manageable.

We want as many as possible to come out, drive your car in the AutoCross and watch some cool fast guys get around the track. The Sponsor guys are more interested in demo's of their product then they are about prizes.

I hope you all continue to come out and have fun at the AutoCross as just getting together and playing with cars is what it is all about!!!

Goodguy Ed

dontlifttoshift
02-17-2012, 04:10 PM
I hope you all continue to come out and have fun at the AutoCross as just getting together and playing with cars is what it is all about!!!

I will and I agree.

As you win your class ( SM, SR and Truck) you will receive the certificates and then move up into the Pro-Class and get to run at the top of each hour.

The car moves up or the driver moves up to pro class? More specifically, if I win an event and move to pro class is my wife still eligible in street rod with the same car?

.....it gives other participants the ability to win the prizes and not see the same guy win every time the Goodguys event comes to town.

What's wrong with the same guy winning all the time if if they are the fastest car in a given class? The only guy that thinks this is cool is second place. I have been second place...hell I've been last place. You may have read my other post but I will reiterate, when I got sick of losing I did something about. I fixed my car. I bought parts from sponsors, DSE doesn't have a 32 Ford page but I made it work. I went through several sets of steering arms and pitman arms trying to get the quickest steering combination. I took a brand new axle out of the box and bent it with a 60 ton press to get some negative camber. *****, last winter I built a new chassis because I saw room for improvement. I wanted to win!! I even tried to learn to drive.....we're still working on that one. I earned the right to win continuously by working for it. I didn't do it for gift certificates or trophies. I'm driving the trophy. I worked at it for the same reason everyone else does....for the glory! Anyone that claims they do not like to be recognized for their effort is full of it.

That first place in class validates to everyone else what I already knew I accomplished. I am proud of the fact that the last six Goodguys shows I took the roadster to, I brought home the hardware six times. No one was even close. But now after my first win, the glory goes to the guy who just showed up and ran second fastest. You would have saved me a lot of time and money if you had changed this rule 2 years ago.

Donny

Goodguy Ed
02-17-2012, 04:57 PM
I will and I agree.

The car moves up or the driver moves up to pro class? More specifically, if I win an event and move to pro class is my wife still eligible in street rod with the same car?

The Car with the driver that won the class will move up. Your wife can still run in the Street Rod Class with the second window sticker. One for you to be scored under the Pro-Class (Once you win) and one for her to be scored under the Street Rod Class until she wins, then your both in Pro-Class.

Also we want to award guys like you by letting them run in the Pro-Class and run more often as that was some of the complaints. We have to look at all sides of this and make disicions based on the good of the whole event. If you always win in the Street Rod Class guys will not even enter or try to build a better car they will just figure when at those events Donny is going to win so why play. We want more people to get involved and we got a lot of e-mail and letters asking why certain people always won and what we were going to do about it. As a group we looked at it and this is what we came up with. There maybe something we find that does not work and we have to change it but as for now this is what was talked about and sent to all sponsors to give input on.

I look forward to seeing that 32 win a Pro-Class and then your going to be the top guy and nothing will bring you down. You still have the goals to do better and win you just will move up to play with guys more in your class.

Come on lets just go out and play with cars!!!!!

See you at the events.
Goodguy Ed

What's wrong with the same guy winning all the time if if they are the fastest car in a given class? The only guy that thinks this is cool is second place. I have been second place...hell I've been last place. You may have read my other post but I will reiterate, when I got sick of losing I did something about. I fixed my car. I bought parts from sponsors, DSE doesn't have a 32 Ford page but I made it work. I went through several sets of steering arms and pitman arms trying to get the quickest steering combination. I took a brand new axle out of the box and bent it with a 60 ton press to get some negative camber. *****, last winter I built a new chassis because I saw room for improvement. I wanted to win!! I even tried to learn to drive.....we're still working on that one. I earned the right to win continuously by working for it. I didn't do it for gift certificates or trophies. I'm driving the trophy. I worked at it for the same reason everyone else does....for the glory! Anyone that claims they do not like to be recognized for their effort is full of it.

That first place in class validates to everyone else what I already knew I accomplished. I am proud of the fact that the last six Goodguys shows I took the roadster to, I brought home the hardware six times. No one was even close. But now after my first win, the glory goes to the guy who just showed up and ran second fastest. You would have saved me a lot of time and money if you had changed this rule 2 years ago.

Donny

The Car with the driver that won the class will move up. Your wife can still run in the Street Rod Class with the second window sticker. One for you to be scored under the Pro-Class (Once you win) and one for her to be scored under the Street Rod Class until she wins, then your both in Pro-Class.

Also we want to award guys like you by letting them run in the Pro-Class and run more often as that was some of the complaints. We have to look at all sides of this and make disicions based on the good of the whole event. If you always win in the Street Rod Class guys will not even enter or try to build a better car they will just figure when at those events Donny is going to win so why play. We want more people to get involved and we got a lot of e-mail and letters asking why certain people always won and what we were going to do about it. As a group we looked at it and this is what we came up with. There maybe something we find that does not work and we have to change it but as for now this is what was talked about and sent to all sponsors to give input on.

I look forward to seeing that 32 win a Pro-Class and then your going to be the top guy and nothing will bring you down. You still have the goals to do better and win you just will move up to play with guys more in your class.

See you at the events.
Goodguy Ed

dontlifttoshift
02-17-2012, 05:07 PM
So I get more runs but less tires:spank2:

I still think its lame but we'll see how it goes. Thanks for explaining.:)

BulldawgMusclecars
02-17-2012, 05:29 PM
***edited by Bulldawg Musclecars****

Bad94
02-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Also we want to award guys like you by letting them run in the Pro-Class and run more often as that was some of the complaints.

See you at the events.
Goodguy Ed

Pro Class= vendors, so the vendors are saying they dont get enough runs in? At columbus they got 4 or 5 runs more then me. Also you stopped running Street Machine car right before me, to run Street Machine of the Year, and then after that it went back to vendors and then the first street machine, so i lost that run.

tommycomfort
02-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Intersting, I will be following the posts here and events to see how it works out...

SLO_Z28
02-17-2012, 09:06 PM
The 200 treadwear was what all the other AutoCross events are running and that was where we started so we are just going back to that so tires are not the deciding factor on the cars if you were running other events and could not buy tires for an event of a lower treadwear.

Nope. The VAST majority of autocross (98% +) 140 treadwear is considered a street tire.

I don't think that coming on Sunday only is going to attract many people. I have to drive 880 miles round trip to one event, and 300 miles round trip to the other, I wouldn't do the trip for one day, and I'm sure I'm not a minority on this.

sik68
02-17-2012, 09:53 PM
I am pretty sure Ed is referring to the American Street Car Series; I think it's cool that both series are together on a rating now.

66SuperSport
02-18-2012, 07:19 AM
I have a few questions that I know will effect more than just myself.

If you bring/register more than one car at an event, can you compete with more than one vehicle?
As an example, if I bring both of our Chevelles to an event and my wife doesn't want to drive can I compete with both cars?
To further complicate this, if I manage to win wih my Chevelle does this put me in the pro class if I go to the next event with my wife's car?
What if I show up at the next event with a truck?
Please clarify this as I know we're not the only people that have more than one vehicle.

Thanks

RobNoLimit
02-18-2012, 12:35 PM
I have to say that I'm not to thrilled by the new rules. This won't stop me from going to events, But I may be a bit less vocal about getting others involved. GoodGuys is trying to make everybody hapy, which is never possible. I have fears that the long term impact of this will be felt most by the autocross sponsors themselves. Goodguys autocross is a selling tool to them, and is tied to the competetive nature of all of us. These sponsors pay a HEFTY price to be involved, and while it is fun for everyone to go out and drive the track, those, like Donny, will go out and buy parts from those sponsors (they're the ones out there proving the performance of their parts) and figure out how to win. This is great for those companies, as they sell more parts to help pay for the sponsorship check they send in each year. Now, if the fast guys move up, to a class they can't win, then slower cars and trucks will get to claim some wins, and by the end of the season, the wins will go out to people not as competetive as the fast class. So, the need to make your car better fades, and the sponsors sell fewer parts. After afew years, the value of the sponsorship may fade, and then it's over.

I suggested eliminating the vendor class, and splitting the three classes into two groups. - pro, and challenger. The prizes could be split as well so that sponsors don't have to pony up more swag. Venders would run in the pro group of the corresponding class of the car/truck, and like the new rules, once you win your class at the challenger level, you move up to the pro group of your class for the year. This way like cars/trucks run against each other. And the fastest of each class will be recognized.

As to the points and champion of the new pro class, this can only be won by a vendor now. - perhaps as it should be. But if you start out in street machine, and you win in Indy and move up, the vendors who started gaining points in Scottsdale are too far ahead to catch. I have suggested a simple points system and the naming class champions as a way to create more 'buzz' at the shows and for the competitors. Last year, I tracked all of the results of all classes, and made up a points scale as folows.

1 point to show up, tech, and complete a pass.
10 points for a first in class, 8 for second, and so on to fifth place.
1 extra point for the fastest lap of the wekend.

A simple scale is easy to score, and gives a lot of incentive to hit one or two more events if your near the top of the list. 2011 ended as follows.

VENDOR CLASS
Spectra Camaro 72
D.T.S. 70 Camaro 61
D.T.S. 63 Nova 51
RideTech 48hr Camaro 47
Gateway 68 mustang 41

STREET MACHINE CLASS
Mark Rife 36
Kevin Miller 36
Brian Finch 32
Mary Pozzi 28
Chris Jacobs 27

STREET ROD CLASS
Donnie Friese 44
Dennis Russel 38
Eric Wise 29
Fish Newman 20
Larry Cristler 12
Bob Cross 12

TRUCK CLASS
Rob MacGregor 92
Diz Demes 31
Kevin Bapst 28
Scott Call 27
Tyler Gibson 22

Thats how it shakes out

BulldawgMusclecars
02-18-2012, 06:46 PM
I posted this earlier, then deleted it because the rules weren't fully clear to me, but I'll go ahead and re-post it.
I have never understood about GoodGuys...why is a fiberglass replica/kit car popped out of the mold six months ago and assembled out of a catalog worthy, but a real steel, American made car made after 1972 not? Most pre-73s, even the less popular ones, are out of reach for a lot of people who would ordinarily come to these events to compete...and frankly, how many pro touring 1st gen Camaros can one see without getting bored? Maybe I'm jaded from being around cars my whole life, but I'd rather see someone flogging on a car you don't see every day. The vast majority of pre-'72 owners are content to sit in lawn chairs behind their cars, listen to tired '50s music, and collect another trophy for the collection. Let the owners of later models play, too! And not just for a day...that isn't worth the gas money.

BonzoHansen
02-18-2012, 08:37 PM
I don't think that coming on Sunday only is going to attract many people. I have to drive 880 miles round trip to one event, and 300 miles round trip to the other, I wouldn't do the trip for one day, and I'm sure I'm not a minority on this.

I posted this earlier, then deleted it because the rules weren't fully clear to me, but I'll go ahead and re-post it.
I have never understood about GoodGuys...why is a fiberglass replica/kit car popped out of the mold six months ago and assembled out of a catalog worthy, but a real steel, American made car made after 1972 not? Most pre-73s, even the less popular ones, are out of reach for a lot of people who would ordinarily come to these events to compete...and frankly, how many pro touring 1st gen Camaros can one see without getting bored? Maybe I'm jaded from being around cars my whole life, but I'd rather see someone flogging on a car you don't see every day. The vast majority of pre-'72 owners are content to sit in lawn chairs behind their cars, listen to tired '50s music, and collect another trophy for the collection. Let the owners of later models play, too! And not just for a day...that isn't worth the gas money.

I agree. I made that same argument to a local club that hosts a charity cruise night that cuts off at 74. I can roll in a 32 ford with no part built before 2008 and it's ok. I never got that and asked. "A 32 is a 32" was the answer I got from them. Lucky for their charity they don't know the difference between a 74 and a 77 Camaro.

I never went to any GG event because my 77 was not welcome. Sunday only is no carrot. Based on other events I am familiar with (so I could be wrong) I'd guess a lot of guys blow off Sunday to go home, so a trip like that is not worth it to me. I'd like to do one of these some weekend, but I drive my car. And it isn't going to sit in the parking lot on Sat. just my $0.02.

dontlifttoshift
02-19-2012, 09:52 AM
hey, hey ,hey. This is the thread to bitch about the autocross rules.....:spank2: Your points are valid but there are two other threads about the cutoff already. More importantly for the context of this discussion, the year cutoff is not a new rule but one that has been in place for many years.

FWIW, I can build a 69 camaro with all new parts too.

Rob, I don't like the pro class either but I don't think the answer is more classes. It was simple before, easy to comprehend. You show up and run and were divided by year right in the middle. If has a bed it's a truck, if you are a displaying vendor you're in vendor. Simple. Now you will have vendors in regular classes until they get bumped up to pro. How many cars and very capable drivers are in the Hotchkis stable? Long term it should make the show better but we won't know until we know.

Thanks for putting that points system together! That's pretty cool. How many events did you do last year? I went to four. The only problem I see with a points system the championship becomes more about attendance than anything, go to more shows and you will win......I wish I could go on tour, that would be awesome! So it really ends up like what pro class is, I think, where the guy with the most shows will likely be the champion. I really think you have to treat all of these events as just that, individual events. If the rules get to complicated it won't be good, simple is good. I really don't know what the answers are.....

Everyone, I have mentioned the new rules to say the same thing, "what is this, Kindergarten? Everybody wins, everybody gets a trophy?"

On the bright side, I'll get my chance to run head to head with the RideTech hot rod.:drive:

coolwelder62
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Well,GoodGuy's autoX might be dead in about 2years.At these bigger event's like DeMoines there was 40 cars running.Us reg. guys will only get about 3 runs a day.That as bad as going a SCCA autox.You only get 4 runs all day there.Thats why it was cool to go to a GG event.You could get 30 runs a week end.People dont want to sit around all day and just watch the vendor's.We want to get there and run and ajust on our cars.Kevin and I have planed to show to about 7GG events this year.I hope we get alot of runs,or may just have to start our own Good Dude's event's.LOL

66SuperSport
02-21-2012, 05:24 AM
I have a few questions that I know will effect more than just myself.

If you bring/register more than one car at an event, can you compete with more than one vehicle?
As an example, if I bring both of our Chevelles to an event and my wife doesn't want to drive can I compete with both cars?
To further complicate this, if I manage to win wih my Chevelle does this put me in the pro class if I go to the next event with my wife's car?
What if I show up at the next event with a truck?
Please clarify this as I know we're not the only people that have more than one vehicle.

Thanks

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

RobNoLimit
02-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Think of the car and driver as a team. Joe B. and his camaro, vin #...73. If Joe wins in the street machine class, in that car, the Team of car and driver moves up to pro. If Joe's wife or brother drives the car, camaro vin#...73, at the next event, that team is in Street Machine, Joe can also drive the camaro at the same event, in Pro class, but each team of car and driver will need it's own entry registration card ($55 to goodguys registration). If Joe has another car, even another camaro, with a different vin, say #....78, the team of Joe and his second camaro is in street machine class until he wins in that car too.
At least thats the way it was explained to me. Hope that clears things up.

66SuperSport
02-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks Rob. That was the answer I was looking for.

GrabberGT
02-22-2012, 09:16 AM
I like the new rules myself. Perhaps next year it will grow to Pro-Street Machine, Pro-Street Rod, and Pro-Truck, along with armature Street Machine, Street Rod, and Truck. With every Racing/Sport organization, there is always a need to move into higher classes and/or handicaps. Im not familiar with the history of the GG auto-x but perhaps it once started out with only one class and was split to the current structure to make it fair. I see this as just further evolution. Im just happy there is enough growth here to warrant steps to keep things fair. I'll show up to 2-3 events this year and dont plan on winning any of them. I'm just there to have fun and improve.

V8240Z
02-22-2012, 10:30 AM
I would like to think I am the guy that the GoodGuys show is looking for. I have attended numerous shows in the past and find it enjoyable. However the influence of seeing the autocross there along with personalities such as Mary Pozzi have inspired me to take my car in the direction of a (semi)pro-touring car. I have to operate with a small budget, but would love to get out and have fun WITH the big guys. I can't think of a more friendly environment to get seat time with a talented driver in the passenger seat (which I have seen Mary do several times) to help me learn. Unfortunately my car along with Mary's are built in 1973. So with no change other than build date I am left with no choice but to seek out events such as RTTC to share my love of the sport. I get that there must be a cutoff, but perhaps it should roll at say 30-40 years old?
Sorry to ramble, just wanted to share my disappointment as I anticipate the arrival of my PTFP suspension upgrades......

sik68
02-22-2012, 10:51 AM
"Rule number 1: There can only be X rules"

Speaking in generalities here, I just hope that these grassroots series don't start taking themselves too seriously. Safety rules are one thing, but there's a lot to be said for simplicity when there's nothing really at stake except bragging rights and happy spectators.

cmraman
02-22-2012, 02:55 PM
So only sponsors will run pro class? So then companies like Hotchkis, Heidts, Gateway, Spectre, etc would run street machine, street rod, or truck until they got the one win they are allowed before they are deemed a pro? Did Rob McGaffin just get bumped into Pro class with PHR Project Olds? Sorry Rob.

No worries Donnie. When I attend an event with the Olds, whether or not I'm doing coverage, I have myself placed in vendor or just run exhibition because of my relationship with GoodGuys and SIM.

Finch
02-23-2012, 11:17 AM
I can see the reasoning behind this as it does get old for most people to see the same person win time over time, this is one of the reasons I choose to make myself ineligible in the American Street Car Series. I want others to experience the feeling of being on top which will cement them in the sport and push them to get faster and faster. That usually = spending some $$$ with the sponsors.

Also remember that this is a car show with a performance exhibition happening in the middle of it so is far from a formal race. I for one will just try to come out on top of an event in the new Pro group once I am moved up so the challenge is still there to improve, if this also means I get more runs then I am all for that.

mpozzi
02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
I expect you to be promoted to Pro after your first GG autocross, Brian ... No brainer there.

Mary Pozzi

peices of eight...
02-23-2012, 07:40 PM
you guys realize that if you run at the top of every hour, 2 min to line up, listen to Rob, 34 second run, 1min and 30seconds to park x 10 pro cars = 30 min out of an hour, I went to first GG show last year loved it! ran twise,it was the only reason I came down from Canada, I would have done anything to run more. I really hope that I get a chance to run more than 2 times, Its alot of fun to watch and learn from you guys, you are great people with very positive and friendly out going attitudes, don't take this the wrong way, but most people can only watch the same commercial so many times before they loose interest. Just saying.

Hans

hotrod69camaro
02-24-2012, 07:16 AM
I think the average joe taking his car to to a Goodguys autocross will get fewer runs per day now. (which is exactly who I am, joe average). I might never win but I keep trying. I dont need to get "moved up". More drivers will be disappointed that they had to sit and wait every hour for the pro class to run. And to see great people like Mary go is stupid. She has helped us all. I mean ALL. She will help, talk to, advise, ride along, give rides. I think there are many of us that with her help and advice have have done better and want to return and run better. It sounds like to me, a good thing is about to get messed up..........Mike

mpozzi
02-24-2012, 08:33 AM
I think the average joe taking his car to to a Goodguys autocross will get fewer runs per day now. (which is exactly who I am, joe average). I might never win but I keep trying. I dont need to get "moved up". More drivers will be disappointed that they had to sit and wait every hour for the pro class to run. And to see great people like Mary go is stupid. She has helped us all. I mean ALL. She will help, talk to, advise, ride along, give rides. I think there are many of us that with her help and advice have have done better and want to return and run better. It sounds like to me, a good thing is about to get messed up..........Mike

Thanks for the nice words, Mike, but this hold-fast decision about not letting my '73 Camaro run has more to do with business than anything else. GG knows my thoughts about it but their hands are tied. It's okay as I've got quite a few offers to drive some very cool (and well set up) cars at various GG events this year. Hope the schedule works so I can do them ...

Mary Pozzi

70camaro406
02-24-2012, 05:34 PM
I've got quite a few offers to drive some very cool (and well set up) cars at various GG events this year. Hope the schedule works so I can do them ...

Mary Pozzi

Hope you're able to come to Columbus again. I enjoyed hanging out with you and David, and I learned a lot too. It won't be the same if you're not there with your car.

howehot
02-27-2012, 05:46 PM
I've never been to a Goodguys show because of the cut off, but plan to be in Des Moines this summer. My car is an 84 Monte Carlo SS. Over the winter it has received a Schwartz Performance chassis, first of its kind, and I can't wait to get it running. Cars being painted by my son now then home for LS1. I'll take any opportunity offered to run this car in that environment. Might be only 2 or 3 runs but more than I could run last year. Hopefully I can learn something and meet some great people.

66SuperSport
02-28-2012, 07:50 AM
I've never been to a Goodguys show because of the cut off, but plan to be in Des Moines this summer. My car is an 84 Monte Carlo SS. Over the winter it has received a Schwartz Performance chassis, first of its kind, and I can't wait to get it running. Cars being painted by my son now then home for LS1. I'll take any opportunity offered to run this car in that environment. Might be only 2 or 3 runs but more than I could run last year. Hopefully I can learn something and meet some great people.

We'll be in Des Moines again and will be at the autocross area all weekend. In my opinion this is the best GG show of the year.
Make sure you look us up. I had a Schwartz chassis before so I may be able to give you some advice on how to set it up as well.

howehot
02-28-2012, 07:37 PM
We'll be in Des Moines again and will be at the autocross area all weekend. In my opinion this is the best GG show of the year.
Make sure you look us up. I had a Schwartz chassis before so I may be able to give you some advice on how to set it up as well.

Thanks, I'll need all the help I can get. I believe the car will far exceed my ability.

Larry Callahan
02-28-2012, 08:16 PM
New rules have been posted. I am closing this thread for now. If you have other questions please start a new thread.