PDA

View Full Version : Differentials for an IFS/IRS setup

olason
02-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Hello,

I have been looking to do an all-wheel drive swap for sometime, and I have been looking at the Currie 9" center section found here: http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=3497 as the differential in each end of my project. I realize that it is a big unit, and even with setting the engine back I don't think I will have enough room for that big unit.

Any small stock, but aftermarket supported differentials? I am looking at 600hp - 800hp with more power to the rear end, but a max of 45% front / 55% rear.

carguykeith
02-12-2012, 03:00 PM
My pie in the sky AWD 600hp G-body would be based on a trailblazer SS platform, 400hp stock so shouldn't be that hard to get to 600 and keep everything together. To give credit where credit's due I got the idea from SSAWD's build.

Oh it requires running an LS though and an auto, so if you had a different powertrain planned that won't work...

olason
02-12-2012, 08:31 PM
I have seen that build, my daily driver is actually a Trailblazer SS. I was looking to use a different setup as the Trailblazer SS setup places the differential axle going through the oil pan. Which means the engine is sitting rather high for what I want.

Kenny
02-16-2012, 01:44 PM
How about the 2006+ CTS-V diff? It is supposed to be stronger than previous years, and it looks way cool with a cooler installed. The S-10 front diff actually holds up reasonably well, if set up correctly and is lightweight. I don't know all the gear ratios for the Caddy rear, but they are both available with 3.73 gears for sure. I am looking at doing the same thing in the Blazer with some aluminum spindles that are more suited to a retro-fit than the Vette pieces.

I have seen that build, my daily driver is actually a Trailblazer SS. I was looking to use a different setup as the Trailblazer SS setup places the differential axle going through the oil pan. Which means the engine is sitting rather high for what I want.
You could probably lower the engine & diff in the chassis without too much angle on the cv joints. I just don't see you getting the axles any closer to the crank without placing the engine completely behind the axle centerline.

93Polo
04-11-2012, 08:08 AM
If you want to use an OEM diff. The common options are the Ford 8.8 (Cobra03/04, Expolorer etc) Viper or C4 Dana 44 and the Nissan Diffs. The Nissan R230 is bigger than a 9” Ford differential. HybribZ has had some good topics on Diffs.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=50499