PDA

View Full Version : Second gen vs S10

rayy
01-27-2012, 08:25 PM
I know this may sound like a strange question. But have a friend working on a 40 Ford streetrod and wants to install a second gen clip to make the car handle much better. He also has a mid 90s S10 clip that looks the same other than the width. Can anyone tell me if those clips are similar in geomerty? If they are then the S10 is the way to go due to the width. He want the car to handle good and to auto x the car from time to time. That being said budget is very tight and he already has the second gen clip. He has taken all the mesurments for track width and wheel base and knows alot of work is involved. Thanks for the input.

Throttle
01-27-2012, 09:52 PM
The Second Gen FBody frame are hard to use on those early cars because of the location of the steering box, It is best to use a Mustang II or first Gen FBody subframe..

dontlifttoshift
01-28-2012, 05:34 AM
It doesn't matter which is better, neither one fits under a 40 Ford at all. Every aftermarket manufacturer recommends narrow control arms with a mustang II on a 35-40 Ford. Standard trackwidth is 56 1/2" and 5/8" narrower per side puts you at 55 1/4". You will never get those clips to fit under there with any amount of tire and it certainly won't add up to "handling". As mentioned the front steer steering box sucks for retrofit in early cars.

In short, IT DOES NOT WORK!

Shop around, do some research, MII isn't bad and you can piece together a kit with pretty good parts for between $2,000 and $2,500 and make few simple mods and have a pretty decent suspension.

Donny

exwestracer
01-28-2012, 05:43 AM
Pretty good advice from Donny. Narrowing any suspension shortens the swing arm length, which has a pretty nasty effect on handling with modern tires.

MonzaRacer
01-29-2012, 03:10 AM
Actually if I remember correctly the S10 suspension should be close to the 5some odd inches as I use an S10 rearend in my Monza and its like 55 or 56 in wide(may be wrong and it is basically a G body in design. Ill have to measure my rearend and get back to you.

rayy
02-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the input. I know there are smarter people on here than me. He has installed a 2 gen on a Nash wagon that handles great and I think the track width was around 56 1/2 but not sure. Just trying to make use of what I have. Thanks

dontlifttoshift
02-02-2012, 04:28 PM
installed a 2 gen on a Nash wagon that handles great and I think the track width was around 56 1/2 but not sure. Just trying to make use of what I have. Thanks

No it didn't and that measurment is not correct.

I get the budget thing, I really do but honestly it's an expensive hobby. A '40 coupe is not a cheap proposition.

I wear a size 10 1/2 shoe. If someone gave a lifetime supply of size 14 I would still go buy size 10 1/2 shoes. Not because I am a rich guy (Im not), because 10 1/2 is the right size. Sure I could walk around with size 14 shoes and I could get by like that but truthfully they just don't fit properly.

To prove I am not a jagoff I did some research for you. TCI just had a sale on their custom IFS that ships with front boxing plates and is already engineered for your car. With everything they were throwing in it was $2,600.....sounds like a LOT of money I know. But look at what you get....powdercoated NARROW control arms that put the wheels where they should be, power rack and pinion steering, dropped spindles, 1" sway bar, big bore single piston gm calipers and your choice of bolt pattern, coilovers for easy spring changes and ride height adjustment did I mention that it is designed for your car. I will be willing to bet a steak dinner that a 40 Ford with this front end will out handle a similar car with a clip. You will get more tire width under the front end with a MII or similar that you will with the camaro clip. Now that's their top of the line front end. As stated, if you shop you can get into a complete MII for around 2,000.

Add up the cost of refurbishing your second gen subframe, be fair, replace all the wear items and let me know where you are at. Don't forget a steering box. Then factor in the time spent problem solving, I am not even talking about the work just the thinking, it will take to get core support mounts and bumper brackets where they need to be. Setting proper ride height, keeping everything square and level. I know how much work it is. I have a chassis table to work off of and it's still not easy.

If you truthfully take all of this into account and still think a clip is the way to go I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Search the hamb for subframe how-to articles there are several and you can carefully sort through and find some good information.

Donny

Bad94
02-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Donny is right, just do a MII kit. They are super easy to install.

We had a customer with a street rod that had a 68-72 nova clip on the car, and we cut it off and made new rails from firewall forward and did a MII kit. Owner never liked how the car drove intill we did the MII.

rayy
02-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I hear you but I have never been in a MII that handles well. Yea just driving is fine but when put under pressure (autox). If this is the route we might need to go for something geared more for true performance.

dontlifttoshift
02-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Lets do it like this. How much autocrossing have you or your friend done and how much do you plan to do?

Are we just talking twice a year at Goodguys?

Oh, something geared for "true performance" check out DSE's 535 universal crossmember

silver69camaro
02-03-2012, 10:21 AM
...or just call us. This is what we do.

rayy
02-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Well time to time is more than twice a year for sure. Art may be the ticket.