PDA

View Full Version : fender cutting my tires

spacepirate
01-26-2012, 05:06 PM
I just got RideTech's coilover 4-link setup on my 68 Camaro. The problem is that unless I have my coilovers completely firm the drivers side tire on the outside wall gets shredded. I'm running a Show Wheels 18x8 with 4.5 BS and a 255/45/18 tire. I've already shredded on and had to replace it. I would like the car to sit lower in the back but can't afford to keep replacing the tire. And suggestions?

camrat68
01-26-2012, 05:35 PM
You need to find out exactly what you're hitting. I also have a '68 Camaro with a Chris Alston coilover 4 link setup. I'm running a 275/60R15 on 15x8" rims with 4" of backspace with a 29" rear fender height and I'm not hitting anything anywhere.

You need to start by measuring and mapping out everything that could be coming into contact. Is the rear end centered? Was there bodywork done on the inner wheelhouse that reduces clearance? Are the coils too weak or mismatched to your combo allowing the car to squat too much?

Jim

Z06vet
01-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Also, thats a very tall tire with 45 sidewall. Sounds like its hitting the 1/4 lip if its shredding it. I would start by rolling it slightly so if it does rub the tire, the sharp edge will not cut into the tire. Its there about equal space bewteen the tire & lip on both sides? Does the tire rub over bumps, when turning hard, or going into steep driveways? Some pics would help out as well. How low does the car sit? Scott

spacepirate
01-26-2012, 06:52 PM
I'll get some pics this weekend and post them. I wouldn't mind getting the fender lips rolled but I've heard stories of the paint chipping when getting it done.

Hunter68
01-26-2012, 09:56 PM
I had the same problem with my car, I rolled the fenders and it went away. However find someone who knows what they are doing!! It is veryyyy easy to blister your paint but I do recommend it for the fix, just make sure they've done it a slit before

JRouche
01-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Sounds simple but works. Find the shiny spots. Where the tire was hitting it should show up on the sheet metal. Remove the wheel and get in there with a light and look for the point of contact, no paint or coating left. You might be happily surprised to see its just a small ragged "hang nail" rippin the rubber up. Or it might look like a rubber shedding factory and the entire outer lip of the Q is eating the tire. JR

spacepirate
01-26-2012, 10:54 PM
I guess I have a mission this weekend!

exwestracer
01-27-2012, 08:42 AM
How much space do you have on the inside before the tire hits anything? Rolling the fender lip may fix the problem, but the real issue may be wheel offset vs. axle width.

Also, I wouldn't lower the car much further than the point where the lower control arms are level to the ground. That 4 link system was designed for a particular geometry, and starting out too low can make it do some funny things...

spacepirate
01-27-2012, 11:29 AM
I'll get some measurements this weekend and post them. Hopefully we can figure this out.

jeremiah B
02-01-2012, 09:24 AM
A tip I learned over the years... If you do decide to roll the lips take a razor blade and scribe a line on the corner edge of the wheel well opening. This line will act as a breaking point and keep the paint from peeling/chiping onto the outer panel.

spacepirate
02-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Great tip! Thanks!