PDA

View Full Version : Help on Coilover brands!

TN10.5Guy
01-26-2012, 06:22 AM
what are the majority of you guys running for coilovers? I have a 70 chevelle and am getting ready to start my build. I know markc at sc and c uses varishocks and i've seen a few people running penskes. I have a local guy here that does afco's and is able to do a LOT better price on them than afco advertises on there (specific pro touring) shock. I have ran afcos drag racing and loved the adjustability, but not sure how long they've been doing road/autocross/street style stuff. I don't want anything too harsh that I'm gonna hate to drive but on track days I want the max out of the car. Let me know what you all have and what options you can think of.

UMI Tech
01-26-2012, 07:38 AM
We have been specifying a lot of QA1's for cars like yours. The QA1 spring is high quality and the coilover makes for a nice installation.

Another increasingly popular option for us is Ridetech. Great product and their customer service is top notch.

For harshness, it's all about what spring rates you are looking for and the damping rates you require. Keep in mind the proper coilover damper (aka shock absorber) can be loaded with the spring of your choice provided it's a standard spring with no weird mounting situation. As an example you could replace an Afco 2-1/2" standard coil with a Hyperco standard 2-1/2" coil.

ramey

BMR Sales
01-26-2012, 10:07 AM
I have a 70 chevelle and am getting ready to start my build. I don't want anything too harsh that I'm gonna hate to drive but on track days I want the max out of the car. Let me know what you all have and what options you can think of.

Instead of getting "salesman" on you and tell you what we offer, I urge you to use the search option here to potentially get personal experience with shocks on their GM A-Body. This is the best way to determine what might be best for your needs and budget.

If you haven't looked at the Afco Pro-Touring Elites, take a look here:

http://www.afcoracing.com/hr_shocks.html

TN10.5Guy
01-26-2012, 11:13 AM
yea i had looked at them, and the guy that is here local can get me a good price on them. I just wasnt sure if anyone had any experience w/ them

Bryce
01-26-2012, 01:53 PM
I use afcos on two cars. I presonally really like them. The pro-touring double adjustable is just the T2 in silver instead of blue. Most people do not need a remote mount resevoir monotube shock.

TN10.5Guy
01-26-2012, 02:15 PM
i prob dont need it but he can get me the price on it that the lower ends are priced at.

Bryce
01-26-2012, 03:27 PM
So an AFCO M2 for $300. Thats a good price. GO for it.

TN10.5Guy
01-27-2012, 01:35 PM
he said right at 400 w/ springs and kits each. they are the pt elites.

Bryce
01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Thats a good price!

MonzaRacer
01-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Ridetech non adjustables are $600 a pair w/ springs. New springs are only $75 each if you need heavier or lighter springs, single adjustables for $700
I have yet to find a better deal for the performance and have several people who have changed over.Kind of cool,,, BUT then I remember when a big name suspension company owner said air ride was for fair grounds, sport trucks and low riders and NOT for performance handling. and I kept thinking OHHH boy this is gonna get good as Ihad just done my truck and put a generic kit on for a friend,which we had t o swap out the rear double convoluted bags for tapered sleeves, it road like crap before. My truck is nothing special and handles like better than ever, I was running right on tthe heels of an 01 Camaro with full on Eibach set up and adjustable struts and shocks on Goodyear F1s I sold him, I had 255/70 Hoosier radial GT on front and 30/9.50 Hoosier radial DT truck tires on rear, no rear bar and plain jane shock and if I had wanted I could have pushed him through twisties! My little roller 350 was running strong then(been swapped out but is same basic set up but blue printed with better heads now).
Oh well buy what fits your budget.

TN10.5Guy
01-29-2012, 06:35 PM
The only prob I see w/ the ridetech air is the size constraints on the front. I am trying to decide whether to go coilovers all around or springs and double adjustable in the front and coilovers in rear