PDA

View Full Version : Ridetech True Turn With ATS Spindles Brake Problem

jeremy30thz
01-22-2012, 07:39 PM
So I installed the true turn system over the weekend on my 69 Camaro and I'm using speed tech a-arms and ATS spindles and now my Baer brakes that are made for the spindles don't fit. The bottom of the caliper hits the end of the tie rod..... Any suggestions or help will be appreciated

johnny68
01-22-2012, 09:17 PM
i just have a ? due to i dont know but what ive heard but why did you get the true turn (just for the bigger wheel and tire) ats spindles i thought fixed the geometry of the steering?
john

David Pozzi
01-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Why would you use the True Turn system with ATS spindles? The true Turn system is made for the Ride Tech spindles.
David

Huzzah!
01-22-2012, 09:37 PM
From what Marc at s c and c told me is that the tru turn was made to fix the geometry problems that the ride tech spindles caused by their design. ATS spindles already have that stuff fixed.

SR71
01-22-2012, 09:41 PM
sell the ats spindles, buy ridetech spindles and buy more mods with the rest of the money....problem solved.

or

keep the ats spindles and send me the tru turn kit for disposal since it's used and non returnable. :cheers:

jeremy30thz
01-23-2012, 12:24 AM
I bought the true turn to fit a 10" wheel and the car came with ATS spindles and the brakes that fit the ATS spindles so if I get the ridetech spindles the brakes want fit

Proforged
01-23-2012, 06:04 AM
So I installed the true turn system over the weekend on my 69 Camaro and I'm using speed tech a-arms and ATS spindles and now my Baer brakes that are made for the spindles don't fit. The bottom of the caliper hits the end of the tie rod..... Any suggestions or help will be appreciated

I'm guessing that this is what is going on:

The TruTurn setup is intended for the Ridetech spindle.
The Ridetech spindle uses factory steering arm mounting holes.
The TruTurn setup reduces bump steer by using a custom steering arm and a custom center link bracket. The point of this is to locate the tie rod in a specific location to minimize bump steer.
The AFX spindle is intended for use with a stock steering arm.
It reduces bump steer by changing the steering arm mounting holes, thus moving the steering arm, and locating the tie rod in a certain position to minimize bump steer.
When you use the AFX spindle AND the TruTurn steering arm, you are "double compensating" - the AFX spindle moves the steering arm (and thus the tie rod) to the correct location, and then the TruTurn steering arm moves it again (to an incorrect location).
This overcompensation is causing an interference between the tie rod and the caliper.

One possible solution is a custom billet steering arm that un-does the AFX spindle adjustment, but it just may not be compatible due to the brake setup. Not sure.

SR71
01-23-2012, 06:35 AM
the ats spindle uses a corvette brake set-up. baer also makes your brake set-up to work with stock spindles. so all you need to adapt your brakes to ridetechs spindles is a pair of brackets from baer or kore 3.

Black93GT
01-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Maybe I've been missing information this whole time. But buy ridetechs spindle and true turn to correct the suspension and steering geometry then buy adapters for the vette brakes..... or just buy the ATS spindles and you're done??? Almost sounds like a waste to even bother with ridetech.

Bad94
01-23-2012, 07:13 AM
I have a true turn set up on ats spindle sitting in my shop right now. I know what you are talking about. I will post a few pics later of how i fixed the problem. Also has C6 ZO6 brakes.

jeremy30thz
01-23-2012, 07:26 AM
I have a true turn set up on ats spindle sitting in my shop right now. I know what you are talking about. I will post a few pics later of how i fixed the problem. Also has C6 ZO6 brakes.

Please tell me you have a solution

SR71
01-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Maybe I've been missing information this whole time. But buy ridetechs spindle and true turn to correct the suspension and steering geometry then buy adapters for the vette brakes..... or just buy the ATS spindles and you're done??? Almost sounds like a waste to even bother with ridetech.

the full tru turn kit comes with their spindles. you can buy the kit without spindles though. this is meant for people who already have the ridetech spindles like me, not for people with other brands. the tru turn info on ridetech's site plainly says that the tru turn will not work properly with other brands of spindles.

evidently a 10" wheel won't clear the ats spindles either or the gentleman would not have bought the tru turn kit.

killer69
01-23-2012, 08:17 AM
the full tru turn kit comes with their spindles. you can buy the kit without spindles though. this is meant for people who already have the ridetech spindles like me, not for people with other brands. the tru turn info on ridetech's site plainly says that the tru turn will not work properly with other brands of spindles.

evidently a 10" wheel won't clear the ats spindles either or the gentleman would not have bought the tru turn kit.

Actually a 10" wheel will work on the ATS Spindle. if you are using a 18" wheel, DEPENDING on what steering arm you have, there are a few 3-4 different lengths and heights, we have found the best fitment is available using the unisteer rack and steering arm set up.

The Truturn has been tested with the ATS spindle, and it is far from ideal, not to mention the caliper fitment issue. I had questioned Brett about the caliper fitment with the TruTurn and all their testing showed NO caliper issues. Now they apparently did not test it with the AFX spindle.

jeremy30thz
01-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Actually a 10" wheel will work on the ATS Spindle. if you are using a 18" wheel, DEPENDING on what steering arm you have, there are a few 3-4 different lengths and heights, we have found the best fitment is available using the unisteer rack and steering arm set up.

The Truturn has been tested with the ATS spindle, and it is far from ideal, not to mention the caliper fitment issue. I had questioned Brett about the caliper fitment with the TruTurn and all their testing showed NO caliper issues. Now they apparently did not test it with the AFX spindle.
Hey Blake I was going to call you today and see if you had a solution for me but since your here.......I have the ATS steering box from you guys can you tell me what steering arms I can use with a 18x10 wheel with 6.75 backspace, if I can just replace the steering arms I will sell the tru turn system

SR71
01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
I stand corrected by the man from ats himself. :)

Black93GT
01-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong... but the ATS spindle comes with the hubs too?? Sounds like i need to return the ones i jsut ordered in exchange for ATS spindles.

BrianP
01-23-2012, 11:49 AM
You could swap the spindles side to side. This would move the calipers to the leading side of the spindle.

jeremy30thz
01-23-2012, 11:51 AM
You could swap the spindles side to side. This would move the calipers to the leading side of the spindle.

Have not thought about that, anybody know if this will work?

killer69
01-23-2012, 02:49 PM
No reason it wouldn't work.

killer69
01-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong... but the ATS spindle comes with the hubs too?? Sounds like i need to return the ones i jsut ordered in exchange for ATS spindles.

Yes they do come complete with hubs.

David Pozzi
01-23-2012, 08:52 PM
The calipers may hit the sway bar if put up front. I know if the stock single piston caliper is placed forward it hits.
The Ride Tech spindle has 2" drop, so the caliper will sit 2" higher.

jeremy30thz
01-23-2012, 09:54 PM
The calipers may hit the sway bar if put up front. I know if the stock single piston caliper is placed forward it hits.
The Ride Tech spindle has 2" drop, so the caliper will sit 2" higher.

So David are you saying my brakes should work with Ridetech spindles?

David Pozzi
01-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Yes, if you have mounting brackets that would work for a stock spindle, then they will work on the Ride Tech spindle.

jeremy30thz
01-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Yes, if you have mounting brackets that would work for a stock spindle, then they will work on the Ride Tech spindle.

So I need to get different mounting brackets from Baer since mine are for ATS spindles? Do you know if I could just use a different steering arm like a Z28 one with the ATS spindles and not use the tru turn if a 18x10 wheel with a 6.75 BS will fit?

David Pozzi
01-23-2012, 11:29 PM
We have a 9" rim 275x18 tire on the One Lap Camaro with ATS spindles but I had to modify the arms to raise them which I don't recommend. A 10" rim on a 69 is probably OK as far as rim width clearing the fenders but pretty close to max you could achieve so measure carefully before ordering wheels. I don't think any factory steering arm is going to clear. I highly recommend the Speed Tech high clearance upper A arms . We have them on OLC. I think to keep the ATS spindles, you would need to do their rack conversion as Blake mentioned, or keep the Tru Turn and get Ride Tech spindles and use Baer brackets that fit a stock spindle.
David

Bad94
01-24-2012, 05:54 AM
The only problem i seen with the one lap camaro is at indy goodguy,it wasnt able to make the one turn. And bret was able too with a wider wheel. Not sure what is up with that.

On the car at i have at my shop with ats spindles i had to shorten the bolt head on the caliper to spindle bolt, it was hitting the steering arm. The C6 ZO6 caliper fits the steering arm fine.

jeremy30thz
01-24-2012, 08:11 AM
The only problem i seen with the one lap camaro is at indy goodguy,it wasnt able to make the one turn. And bret was able too with a wider wheel. Not sure what is up with that.

On the car at i have at my shop with ats spindles i had to shorten the bolt head on the caliper to spindle bolt, it was hitting the steering arm. The C6 ZO6 caliper fits the steering arm fine.

Would you mind sending me a few pics? [email protected]

jeremy30thz
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
We have a 9" rim 275x18 tire on the One Lap Camaro with ATS spindles but I had to modify the arms to raise them which I don't recommend. A 10" rim on a 69 is probably OK as far as rim width clearing the fenders but pretty close to max you could achieve so measure carefully before ordering wheels. I don't think any factory steering arm is going to clear. I highly recommend the Speed Tech high clearance upper A arms . We have them on OLC. I think to keep the ATS spindles, you would need to do their rack conversion as Blake mentioned, or keep the Tru Turn and get Ride Tech spindles and use Baer brackets that fit a stock spindle.
David

Me and Blake talked about doing a rack conversion but then I will have to buy headers because mine wan't fit, I also already have the ATS steering box that I would have to sell. Blake is contacting Ridetech about making a steering arm that will work with there spindles so that may be another option

Bad94
01-24-2012, 04:46 PM

Also you can see the caliper bolt is hitting the arm. I put it in the lathe and turn the heads down alittle.

The Baer caliper is bigger then the Z06 cailper i think.

jeremy30thz
01-24-2012, 04:55 PM
[

Thank you so much for posting the pics those calipers will be my next purchase

Bad94
01-24-2012, 05:24 PM
[

Thank you so much for posting the pics those calipers will be my next purchase

Can you post pics of the baer caliper?

BrianP
01-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Bad94,
Are those the stock Camaro steering arms or the True-turn ones in the pictures?

Bad94
01-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Bad94,
Are those the stock Camaro steering arms or the True-turn ones in the pictures?

Those are the ones that come in the kit.

jeremy30thz
01-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Can you post pics of the baer caliper?

Pics are in the post in the for sale section.
Thanks!

killer69
01-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Jeremy if you are considering the Ridetech spindle then you will also need to get the hubs and rotor hats from Baer.
i have brackets hubs and hats here if you decide to go that route and can work something out for you, they are new only installed for mock up.

jeremy30thz
01-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Jeremy if you are considering the Ridetech spindle then you will also need to get the hubs and rotor hats from Baer.
i have brackets hubs and hats here if you decide to go that route and can work something out for you, they are new only installed for mock up.

I ordered them from Tobin at Kore but thanks for the offer, Did you talk to Ridetech about doing the steering arms to go with the ATS spindles?

jeremy30thz
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I changed to the Ridetech spindles and brackets from Kore3 so my brakes would fit and now everything is working fine so thanks everybody for all the help. The ATS spindles are now for sale in the for sale section

regal454
12-15-2012, 05:51 AM

I know this is an older thread, but does any have any experience with 17" wheels and ATS spindles? What is the widest 17" wheel that will work with the spindle? What about using the "short" Z28 factory steering arms, will that aid in clearance? I would like to purchase a set of these spindles, but I would want to run a 17x9 and 275 front tire.

killer69
12-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Honestly the best combo we have seen is to run the rack with the AFX spindle, it gives the most wheel clearance, i THINK you could run a 17 x 8.5 with the rack and AFX spindle. it will be tight either way.

we have nt made any headway on the AFX spindle/ Trueturn steerin arm, parts are all here to test and design, just alot of other things going on. sorry

regal454
12-16-2012, 05:31 AM
we have nt made any headway on the AFX spindle/ Trueturn steerin arm, parts are all here to test and design, just alot of other things going on. sorry

I'd be interested in see the results in that test, please post your findings.