PDA

View Full Version : Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar & Magnaflows on 1st gen?

67rally
01-21-2012, 10:12 AM
I've searched everywhere (here, camaros.net, lateral-g, ls1-tech, etc) to find out if the Magnaflow X-Pipe system will work with the Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar & Chassis Brace on my '67 Camaro.

There seem to be conflicting reports as to whether on not it will fit. Does anyone have any photos that show a successful install, or photos that show where there is interference? Too complicate things, my shop wants to do the 3" system to allow for a future engine swap (500hp+). Thanks for any info.

Here's the new sway bar installed:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/01/IMG_0382x-1.jpg

badazz81z28
01-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Why do you suspect it wouldnt fit? Where is it routing? Over the axle and out towards the outside of the spring? I only see in issue if you want to go below. I would be more worried with the drop down link type of sway bar.

Vicinity
01-21-2012, 11:00 AM
I just sent back a pair of 3" Magnaflow mufflers because they didn't fit, the ends of the mufflers dumped about 2 cm from the rear axle tubes.

67rally
01-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Why do you suspect it wouldnt fit? Where is it routing? Over the axle and out towards the outside of the spring? I only see in issue if you want to go below. I would be more worried with the drop down link type of sway bar.

It's the standard Magnaflow cat back system #15899, so it would route over the axle, outside the leafs and dump next to the fuel tank.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/01/15899-1.jpg

I'm not sure where I think it would hit. I have read a few posts that said it would conflict with the Hotchkis sway bar, and a few that said it fit. Looking for pics one way or the other so I can plan my options.

From the Hotchkis install manual:

"Check for
exhaust clearance in this area. You may have to have the exhaust pipes re-bent to
provide clearance for the new sway bar assembly. Any competent exhaust shop can
handle this modification easily."

67rally
01-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I just sent back a pair of 3" Magnaflow mufflers because they didn't fit, the ends of the mufflers dumped about 2 cm from the rear axle tubes.

Do you have the rear sway bar?

Vicinity
01-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Do you have the rear sway bar?

Nope. No, swaybar, no SFC's, nothing. I believe it was the 18" long overall 3"wide SS muffler, it was just massive. It would have been very close to the ground if I had a rear drop installed at the time, as well. My brother was convinced it would scrape if I dropped it.

zbugger
01-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Where is the outlet on the mufflers? Some people put a offset outlet and may have issues, and some will have no issues with a center outlet. That might be the main issue.

67rally
01-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Where is the outlet on the mufflers? Some people put a offset outlet and may have issues, and some will have no issues with a center outlet. That might be the main issue.

The exhaust is not here yet, should be here by tomorrow. From the pics I have found on the internet, it looks like it's offset inlet, center outlet.

I also think some of the Magnaflow systems that haven't fit may have been a transverse muffler setup rather than the true duals. I should have an answer in the next couple of days.

BlackPearl
01-24-2012, 07:50 AM
I had the 2 1/2" set-up on my 68 without a problem, with Hotchkiss sway bar. I will look for pics but I have one or two of my old ones sitting in my garage. They didn't work when I installed the LS engine with long tube headers, had to go custom. I would stay with 2 1/2" for clearance reasons which should be fine for that level of Hp, that's what I'm using.

67rally
01-24-2012, 08:11 AM
I had the 2 1/2" set-up on my 68 without a problem, with Hotchkiss sway bar. I will look for pics but I have one or two of my old ones sitting in my garage. They didn't work when I installed the LS engine with long tube headers, had to go custom. I would stay with 2 1/2" for clearance reasons which should be fine for that level of Hp, that's what I'm using.

Thanks, pics would be great. Apparently the 3" setup arrived yesterday and the test fit wasn't even close.

Now my options are to order the 2 1/2" setup and hope it fits, or go with a Flowmaster 2 1/2" setup and replace the mufflers with Magnaflows. The drawbacks there are that it wouldn't be an X-Pipe system, and it won't be polished either.

67rally
01-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Well, I just got back from the shop and the 3" system wasn't even close. The tail pipe was going to hit on the endlinks and possibly on the bracket for the bushing which is held on by the U-Bolt.

I decided I don't really need a 3" system right now, so my options were to order:
a) The 2 1/2" Magnaflow X-Pipe setup and replace the tailpipes with a set of 2 1/2" Flowmaster tailpipes
b) The 2 1/2" Pypes X-Pipe setup without mufflers, and add a set of Magnaflow mufflers (not sure if the Pypes tailpipe with clear the sway bar)
c) The 2 1/2" Flowmaster H-Pipe setup and replace the mufflers with a set of 2 1/2" Magnaflow mufflers

After listening to hours of sound clips I came to the following conclusion. I like the sound of Magnaflows better than any other muffler, but I'm not completely sold on the X pipe. I know it's the cool thing to do, and I'm all about being the cool kid, but I keep going back to the sound clips with H-pipes in them. The X-pipe just has a little too much of that exotic car sound, and the H gives a little more of that muscle car sound. That's my theory anyways...

Therefore, I ordered a 2 1/2" Flowmaster setup, and I will swap out the mufflers with a set of 2 1/2" Magnaflows. I'll try to sell the Flowmaster mufflers on e-bay or somewhere else. Should know more by the end of the week.

ehummelman
01-25-2012, 09:57 AM
FWIW, I have the Flowmaster American Thunder kit (2.5") with the H pipe with Magnaflow mufflers swapped in. It's a 69 so I don't know if the clearances are all the same, but it does fit - barely. The shop had to work at it to get the pipes directly centered between the trunk drop down and the leaf spring. They were clanging together badly at first from the exhaust vibrating. Good now though. And this setup does sound great, I think you will be happy with it. With all that said, I don't have a rear bar so i can't comment on that part of the topic.

mincharlie
01-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Hey 67rally, I have the 3" magnaflows with the hothckis swaybar and cross brace. I got it all to fit but it took some cutting and some tig welding. first i had to swap sides on the down links of the sway bar to the outboard position, hotchkis said it would not change any swaybar performance. Then i had to buy a extra 180/45 pipe, then some cutting and turning it came out great! I could post some pictures later if you need to see it. It was not very hard to do, just a little patience. by the way its on a 69.

67rally
01-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Hey 67rally, I have the 3" magnaflows with the hothckis swaybar and cross brace. I got it all to fit but it took some cutting and some tig welding. first i had to swap sides on the down links of the sway bar to the outboard position, hotchkis said it would not change any swaybar performance. Then i had to buy a extra 180/45 pipe, then some cutting and turning it came out great! I could post some pictures later if you need to see it. It was not very hard to do, just a little patience. by the way its on a 69.

Yeah, please post pics. It's a little too late for me now, but it would be good info for someone else in the future. The guy that was doing the install had another customer that wanted the 3" Magnaflow setup (no sway bar), so it wasn't a problem.

I should find out how the Flowmaster 2 1/2" setup went in with the Magnaflow muffler swap. I'm looking forward to the new setup, and 2 1/2's should be fine for the near future.

mincharlie
01-27-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm out of town right now, but I will post those when I get home. I think the 2 1/2 should do fine, thats what i ran on a bbc for a long time.

67rally
01-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Alright, I know this has become more of an exhaust thread than a suspension thread, but I think this information will be useful since it pertains to the Hothckis Rear Sway bar....

The exhaust is finally in. The 2 1/2" Flowmaster system would have been a simple bolt-in with no mods, but I wanted the sound of the Magnaflows, so I had the shop swap mufflers. Apparently the Magnaflow offset inlet/center outlet is spaced a little differently than the Flowmasters version, so the shop had to do a little tweaking. But they got it in and it looks perfect, and clearance with the Hotchkis Chassis Brace and Rear Sway bar are great.

Pic of the exhaust going forward (Flowmaster #817129 2.5" stainless steel H-pipe with 2.5" Magnaflows) :
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/01/IMG_0389x-1.jpg

Driver side over rear axle:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/01/IMG_0391x-1.jpg

Passenger side over rear axle:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/01/IMG_0393x-1.jpg

67rally
01-31-2012, 12:51 PM
One final note, the muffler brackets didn't match up to the stock location. Again, I think this is due to the different offsets. The shop had to fabricate new brackets, but I haven't been under there yet to really get a good look at it.

David Pozzi
01-31-2012, 01:22 PM
I have installed a couple of second gen Hotchkis bars on 1st gen Camaros. The second gen bar is wider but fits great and the end links attach to the frame rails. There is a difference in frame rail width to compensate for on the brackets.