PDA

View Full Version : UMI Camber Curve, A-Body Stock Upper A-arm VS. UMI Upper A-arm w/ Tallerl Ball Joints

UMI Performance
01-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Subject: GM A and G-Body stock upper a-arm VS. UMI upper a-arm with taller ball joints

Graph below shows the stock upper a-arm from the 64-72 GM A-body and the 78-88 GM G-Body compared to UMI's upper a-arms with 1/2" taller ball joints.

The UMI upper a-arm with 1/2" taller ball joint...

...more than doubles the camber gain at 2.5" bump travel
...starts the camber gain during turn-in more quickly than stock
...has a linear camber tendency which improves camber performance on lightly loaded inside tire during cornering
...gives real handling improvement with no adjustment required to other parts of suspension (i.e. bumpsteer)
...gives the effect of a 1/2" taller spindle in an easy bolt-on part
...is a good building block for your Auto-x, street, or Pro-Tour suspension system

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

LSxChevelle
01-11-2012, 10:06 AM
I wish I could understand....lol

Still will buy once I sell my carbed 5.3 I'm building and the new rear bar is ready!

UMI Tech
01-11-2012, 10:24 AM
I wish I could understand....lol

Still will buy once I sell my carbed 5.3 I'm building and the new rear bar is ready!

Hey Jason. Don't worry, we'll get you fixed up.

You know how the outside front tire looks and feels like you're trying to break it off during cornering? The 1/2" taller ball joint is equivalent to a 1/2" taller spindle and helps the suspension go negative camber on bump which in turn keeps the tire flatter on the pavement.

ramey

exwestracer
01-11-2012, 11:18 AM
You know how the outside front tire looks and feels like you're trying to break it off during cornering?

YIKES! :seizure: LOL

Are the arms shorter than stock?

UMI Tech
01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
YIKES! :seizure: LOL

Are the arms shorter than stock?

1/4" shorter than stock, enough to help a bit but not enough to prevent just bolting-on, 1/2" taller ball joint, ball joint pad moved rearward to allow approx 6 degrees caster without splitting shims

LSxChevelle
01-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Hey Jason. Don't worry, we'll get you fixed up.

You know how the outside front tire looks and feels like you're trying to break it off during cornering? The 1/2" taller ball joint is equivalent to a 1/2" taller spindle and helps the suspension go negative camber on bump which in turn keeps the tire flatter on the pavement.

ramey

That makes sense...and yes I know what your referring to on the 'trying to break off' lol!

Getting so excited to have a classic with the modern feel I'm looking for.

UMI Performance
01-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Like Ramey mentioned we did shorten the arm slightly. The goal with the upper a-arms was to offer one arm that fits all A-Body vehicles and heights. Whether the vehicle is lowered or factory height the upper a-arm will bolt on and will not cause alignment issues. A lowered car will perform better. Thanks for looking!

67gtonut
01-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Cant wait to get mine on......

UMI Tech
01-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Cant wait to get mine on......

Hey Troy! Do you go to Carlisle? That would be cool to meet up.

ramey

scottymonte
01-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Hello,

How about the 73-77 A body (MONTE) do you have a application for these cars?

Thanks

UMI Tech
01-13-2012, 06:03 AM
Hey Scotty. We don't currently have a-arms for these cars but they're on my project list for future investigation...

ramey

andrewb70
01-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Hello,

How about the 73-77 A body (MONTE) do you have a application for these cars?

Thanks

Aren't the front suspension parts on these cars the same as 2nd gen f-bodies?

Andrew