PDA

View Full Version : Goodguys 6th Chicagoland Nationals ...Cancelled!

Zanie
01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
No GG show in Joliet for 2012....Bummer!
http://goodguysforum.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=82&func=view&catid=39&id=3553

Jim Nilsen
01-11-2012, 05:12 AM
That sucks!!!!!

I am glad I got to drive around the track last year, rain cancelled it the year before and it almost didn't happen last year.

See you all at Indy.

dontlifttoshift
01-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Here's how I see it.....

No cars, no show. It's simple. At this point no one was going to come up from Indy to go to Joilet (yes that's how I spell it) when the Speedway Nationals are a month later. MOST people in Wisconsin won't drive down cause it costs money to buy gas so that leaves the Chicagoland area only to support the show. When there is free cruise nights all week long that draw 500 cars plus why pay the entry fee to sit in the infield of a racetrack with no history and look at the same cars you saw in the grocery store parking lot last week. Goodguys works hard to put on great shows but Joilet was a terrible venue. No "host" hotel, no amenities near the show, really no reason to go other than the cars and that it's close.

It sucks that it's gone but let's face it. All three shows that Goodguys listed as alternatives within 350 miles are far better venues with much larger car counts. Des Moines is hands down, the best Goodguys show in the Midwest, I rank it higher than Columbus. Big autocross, easy to get in and out of the event, and a pretty kicka$$ fireworks display AT the show on Saturday night. Oh, can't forget Iowa Beef Steakhouse, bacon wrapped filets and giant baked potatoes. If you want drive a little further, Nashville is a also a great venue (they have trees!) with great food and music right across the river.

Who do I talk to about getting my pregistration back? :-) Just credit me for another show.

See you Indy or Des Moines or Nashville.

Donny

Zanie
01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
you had me at bacon wrapped filets!

no bags
01-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I think that we had an idea that the end would be near with such a decline in attendance the last few years. As Donnie said, no host hotel or night gathering spot during the event, really not that good of a show area that was mostly dusty field,and not that great a buzz to go along with this event surely didnt help. If it wasn't for the bang for the buck I got at the auto x , I too would have passed on this event.I think too , that cruise nites that bring 500 + cars (Morris,IL)really have us spoiled in the Chicago area. RIP Chicagoland Nationals.See you all at a cruise night soon!!!!!!!

Bob

Jim Nilsen
01-13-2012, 04:54 AM
The rain threat from the weatherman 2 yrs in a row didn't help the show at all. I saw a lot of cars leave because of it and I am sure twice as many didn't come because of fear of a rain drop or 2. I'll never figure out the people who think water will hurt their car?

CreepinDeth
01-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Des Moines is hands down, the best Goodguys show in the Midwest, I rank it higher than Columbus. Big autocross, easy to get in and out of the event, and a pretty kicka$$ fireworks display AT the show on Saturday night. Oh, can't forget Iowa Beef Steakhouse, bacon wrapped filets and giant baked potatoes.

I will have to keep that in mind.

I think that we had an idea that the end would be near with such a decline in attendance the last few years. As Donnie said, no host hotel or night gathering spot during the event, really not that good of a show area that was mostly dusty field,and not that great a buzz to go along with this event surely didnt help. If it wasn't for the bang for the buck I got at the auto x , I too would have passed on this event.I think too , that cruise nites that bring 500 + cars (Morris,IL)really have us spoiled in the Chicago area. RIP Chicagoland Nationals.See you all at a cruise night soon!!!!!!!

Bob

There's nothing but cornfields , a NASCAR track, Route 66 dragway and Speedway.

However, when you consider Byron dragway is in bumblefook nowhere, and Great Lakes Speedway
has nothing around it either, it makes Joliet look like an IMMENSE place......but no hotels.

Not alot of support.

The rain threat from the weatherman 2 yrs in a row didn't help the show at all. I saw a lot of cars leave because of it and I am sure twice as many didn't come because of fear of a rain drop or 2. I'll never figure out the people who think water will hurt their car?

Alot of owners spend ALOT of time buffing and polishing their cars, and don't like to get all that work ruined.
I own a heavily chromed Harley wide glide......it pisses me off when I get caught in the rain.

THe bike looks like ass after a storm, but I just take it to Wildfire Harley to get cleaned for $20.
Mind you , I'm the anti-chrome guy these days, I prefer the "murdered out" look.

But I can imagine how much time it takes to buff and clean a classic.
I know quite a few guys with $70,000-$100,000 into their classic's that don't even have wiper motors.

My two classics were built to daily drive in the warm months though, I put LS motors with OD transmissions in both.
I'm a different kind of owner, and I don't buff and polish my cars. I pay someone else for that. LOL