PDA

View Full Version : Need unbiased opinions, should I switch to a t56 over my built 4l60e? Pro's con's?

NoMoneyZ
01-05-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm having trouble deciding on which trans to run in my current build, it's 65 Skylark sedan, h/c lt1,will eventually get a 4.11 gear out back with posi. The plans for the car are cruising and mild road course use. Honestly probably will see the 1/4m once to twice a year so I'm leaning towards the t56. I have pedals for it and clutch master cylinder. I would have to trade up my built 4l60e for the t56 and maybe a flywheel deal. I just don't know what to do. I love auto's but I think the stick would be a lot more fun and have a better time in the road course. Who went what way and why? I just need to get some opinions to help me in my decision. Thanks. -Jeremy

Scott Parkhurst
01-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Go T56! Lots of fun, plenty of strength, good fuel economy in 6th....but you will have to raise the trans tunnel a couple inches. It's worth the effort...

NoMoneyZ
01-06-2012, 04:31 PM
I've seen a few swaps done in a bodies and I'm ready for the metal work, recently started welding so this will be good practice if I do it. I just mostly want the t56 because of the mileage while cruising and better control through a road course. I have my Camaro for the strip with the stalled auto so I think I'll see what the interest is in trading my trans for a t56. Hopefully someone will come through.

LT1Nova
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
I put a 4l60e in my car because that's what the donor car had. I've got a $600+ dollar stall in it and in hindsight I wish I would have put that money into a t56 swap. Thought about it plenty of times since even though I like to hit the dragstrip too. Given the choice again I'd got stick shift. They are more fun to drive.

NoMoneyZ
01-08-2012, 03:49 PM
That's what I'm afraid of as I already have a stalled auto car for the track. So I guess now the hard part is finding someone who wants to do a trade outright.

SLO_Z28
01-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Im a huge fan of automatics for race cars, and sticks for street use. I would stick with the automatic and instead focus on getting the car running and racing! Ive never lost a few seconds on the track due to a missed shift, or upset the attitude of the car doing heel-toe in a automatic! Threshold braking is more natural in automatic cars.

NoMoneyZ
01-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Well, I'm getting a T56 this Saturday. Coming out of a 95 Camaro. 400 bucks and I get everything to make it work. Going to keep my auto as a spare for my Camaro. I always wanted this to be a fun street car rather than track car. Will do some autocross/road course every now and then but mostly just a street car.

ROBS6T8
01-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Helluva purchase there. I need to find one that cheap! But what about the rebuild cost?

SLO_Z28
01-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Helluva purchase there. I need to find one that cheap! But what about the rebuild cost?

It used to be WAY more expensive to rebuild them than buy a new one from GM. At the dealer I almost never saw one get rebuilt.

NoMoneyZ
01-27-2012, 12:46 PM

Well turns out the guy sold it out from under me and conveniently forgot to let me know, so we'll see how it goes now. As far as rebuild, I work at a GM dealer so I was going to have the trans guy go through it for me so my cost would be way cheap.

SLO_Z28
01-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Well turns out the guy sold it out from under me and conveniently forgot to let me know, so we'll see how it goes now. As far as rebuild, I work at a GM dealer so I was going to have the trans guy go through it for me so my cost would be way cheap.

Its not hard to go through those, I didnt specialize in transmission but I am a GM Master tech and ASEP grad, those are about as easy as it gets. Its the parts that add up fast. It can cast as much as $1600 if you lose one gear, and for $2050 employee price you can get a SRTA.

PT Sportwagon
02-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Since you have the auto, what about getting a paddle shift for it? You could have the best of both worlds, Like James said. You can never miss a shift in an automatic. LOL

Tim