PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount a MSD Box - 2nd Gen Camaro?

MikeDVC
07-06-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm looking for some ideas. Getting ready to mount a MSD 6al box, can't decide where to put it. I've seen many people mount them on the firewall (engine side) just above the heater core, but I don't want it so out in the open. Any ideas?

MrQuick
07-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Your car has several nice places where it would stay cool, like over by the battery fender area and the opposite side , big area in front of the radiator/under header panel, or behind the glove box. Keep it reachable to swap out rev chips.

MikeDVC
07-07-2005, 10:50 AM
"big area in front of the radiator/under header panel"

That is the spot I like the most, but will need to extend some of the wiring. I read somewhere that if you increase the length, it's best to use one gauge heavier wire to do so. Think I'll put it on the battery side, since I moved the battery to the trunk.

Thanks for your suggestions.

CAMAROBOY69
07-07-2005, 11:09 AM
If you wanted to completely hide it you could put it in front of the console and under the dash. If there is room. In my 69 Camaro I have 4th gen interior and my 6AL box is hiding in the the location I just mentioned. Never had a problem so far with it at all. I know I have a different car but its just an idea.

MrQuick
07-08-2005, 12:45 AM
I read somewhere that if you increase the length, it's best to use one gauge heavier wire to do so

sould be fine with the MSD set up. The power is 12 ga. Sizes should be fine if you run the purp and green harness...just run a red trigger wire off of you horn relay...its should be on your firewall. Thats close enough.

Adam, you should have some kind of air flow to it. They get pretty hot and you might decrease the life of the unit.

yody
08-26-2005, 03:01 PM
thats not true, they are not supposed to get very hot, warm but not hot. I have mine under my dash too, they do need some sort of venitlation though, that is why they tell you not to mount it in the glove box

vanzuuk1
08-26-2005, 05:43 PM
uh oh. I mounted mine under the dash, over the glove box .Oops.

yody
08-26-2005, 06:06 PM
nothing wrong with that, you aren't supposed to mount it "in" the glovebox

vanzuuk1
08-26-2005, 07:00 PM
I dont think there is much airflow where I mounted it , but it should be fine.

I do wish the coil didnt sound like the death ray from war of the worlds, I wasnt expecting that.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Lesrace82
08-26-2005, 07:20 PM
What about behind hood hinge mount on the fender where the inner fender well mounts.

CAMAROBOY69
08-27-2005, 02:14 AM
I dont think there is much airflow where I mounted it , but it should be fine.

I do wish the coil didnt sound like the death ray from war of the worlds, I wasnt expecting that.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
That is a bad connection somewhere. When I first installed mine it did the same thing. I forgot what I did to fix it but it should be perfectly quite. I think it was something with the power wire or where I had the ground hooked up. It should not BUZZZZZZZ. Make sure the main red part of the box is not directly on metal. I believe that was the main problem. It must be insulated with the rubber bushings or carpet where you bolt it. Mine sets directly on carpet now and is perfectly quite. It used to be on bare metal and buzzed like crazy.

yody
08-27-2005, 08:56 AM
actually, it is normal for the coil to bip everytime it fires, so if your interior is super quite and the coil is in the car it will make some nosie, howver the box shouldn't make any noise, i was thinking about wrapping mine in dynamat but figured i should call MSD first about that

cham
10-17-2005, 04:45 PM
"big area in front of the radiator/under header panel"

That is the spot I like the most, but will need to extend some of the wiring. I read somewhere that if you increase the length, it's best to use one gauge heavier wire to do so. Think I'll put it on the battery side, since I moved the battery to the trunk.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I never used the extension wire that came with my 6AL box that plugs up to the dist. Gimme 10 bucks and Ill mail it.

redsand
10-20-2005, 01:02 PM
I mounted my box and coil behind the dash and used a firewall plug.

DB Z28
10-20-2005, 03:28 PM
I mounted mine on the inside buy the heatercore behind the glove box I used Velcro. That way I can take the box down and adjust the settings and put it back up in seconds and sticks very well without falling down. also no holes to drill use the wide velcro tape works the best.