PDA

View Full Version : Spc lca + hellwig front tubular sway bar + extreme duty end link install abody?

rockytopper
12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Ok I found this statement from Dave@Hellwig on another thread about the subject. Is this acurate as for a starting point to locate the clevis of the end link? Does anyone have a good picture of one at it's final resting place weight on wheels?
"A good starting point is to mount the clevis to the control arm so that the through bolt for the hourglass bushing is parallel with the foward edge of the mounting plate in the SPC control arm. Then bolt the end link to the sway bar and note the articulation of the end link while bouncing the vehicle (http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288645&page=3&highlight=hellwig+sway+bar+spc+arms). You can rotate the clevis to provide the least articulation of the bushing. Usually this ends up with the clevis oriented as described above or very close to it."

Marks said to install it and find it's natural location so to speak but not sure were to start?

CFster
12-14-2011, 09:27 PM
I put mine in more or less the position as described above. Just seemed like the best position from a common sense point of view. The first time I did it the bar ended up yanked over to one side - so much so that the tire rubbed it when turning. Then I set them back and it seems to be staying in the middle for now. I have to disconnect them again while I screw around with ride height so who knows if it will happen again. Not crazy about these links.

rockytopper
12-15-2011, 05:39 AM
So in the picture below you just had it mounted loose correct? From how I am reading it above the link is clocked about 45 dgrees from where it is suppose to be in this picture.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

CFster
12-15-2011, 05:44 AM
No that's where it ended up. It rotated. You can see the rub mark on the swaybar where the tire hit it.

rockytopper
12-15-2011, 07:28 AM
I now see the other nice goat on here has it oriented same as yours. So either the guy selling this product has it wrong or you 2 guys do. :hand: Maybe he ment to say perpendicular and not parallel.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/08/DSC_5137-1.jpg

CFster
12-15-2011, 07:33 AM
All I know is there's some super secret heim joint links in development for that bar and one or two members here may or may not already have sets and I can neither confirm nor deny that I made that statement.

I want a set.

Dave@Hellwig
12-15-2011, 08:52 AM
The best orientation I have found for the clevis is to have the head of the bolt that goes through the clevis pointed at the ball joint or a little forward of it. The end link needs to rotate fore and aft as the suspension articulates and this orientation will allow it to do that. The hourglass bushing can handle up to 5 deg of conical rotation either way so if the end link leans a little either way it will not hurt the bushing. You want to make sure that the end link can rotate fore and aft with the sway bar.

CFster - The heim joint upgrade is available. They are a little pricey as we are using all American made products in the kit. The joints are a high misalignment rod end from Aurora Bearing that is teflon lined and features a 4340 chrome moly body. Mark at SC&C can supply these kits.

rockytopper
12-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Dave that is exactly what you said prior. I will give that a try.
Thanks for the quick response.
Rocky

Marcus SC&C
12-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Rocky, you`re on the right page now. If you have questions like this please always feel free to give me a call. That`s why I`m here. :) Like David said basically point the clevis bolt at the ball joints and you`ve got the general idea. I sometimes get a little too esoteric for my own good. Those who are super detail oriented can leave the clevis tightened lightly and drive the car around a little then check the orientation *at ride height* and tighten them down in that position. On most cars we`ve installed them on they`ll turn outward in front just a little. That`s a totally optional step though.

Collin, the super duper rod end end links are available. They`re hot off the presses, we don`t even have them up on the site yet or have a name for them. They`re going to be the hot ticket for the road race and hardcore street guys and include a rubber boot to out water/dirt for a long service life. Give us a call and we`ll exchange your existing SD end links if you like for the price difference and free shipping. The new links will knock your socks off.

The SD end link bars will continue to be our recommended street bars, we may need to include better instructions but they`ve proven to be a really great all around setup. The super duper rod end race bar package will be up on the site shortly for about $100 more than the SD bar. The formerly (until SEMA) ultra top secret adjustable rate race bar should be out in Feb. some time, for use with SPC lower A arms only and exclusively through SC&C. :twothumbs Mark SC&C

CFster
12-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks Marcus!

rockytopper
12-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks Marcus I knew I could call ya but your a busy guy and I figured someone had already been down this road. I just wanted to get the answer and share the info for others in the future. Being your products are great but your instuctions suck. LOL

Sorry I had to say that it's the detail oriented draftsman in me, oh wait it's usally the shop telling me that.