PDA

View Full Version : 68 Camaro Rear frame delima-what to do?

bretcopsey
07-06-2005, 03:38 PM
I plan to do a mini tub and my rear rails both need to be replaced due to rust. So the question is, should I a) replace with factory style rails b) replace with something like those offered by Competition Engineering or c) buy some rectangle tubing and make something myself?

I've thought about the idea of running a crossmemebr to both act as a driveshaft loop and create mounting points for the front eyes of the leafs, removing the both on brackets. I also would like to keep a factory style fuel tank rather than have a cell, and I want to do as little cutting as possible on the trunk floor to make it all work. I'm also a little leary of how narrow the factory rails need to be made to accomodate the mini tub.

So, what do you think?

CDJr
07-06-2005, 04:49 PM
If youve gotta replace em anyways, I would definitely fab it myself. Im sure itlll save money and you can build it exactly as you need. Just my 1½ cents worth.

MuscleRodz
07-06-2005, 05:09 PM
If you do not want to do anymore hacking than possible, buy the full replacement rails. I used the CE rails and I had to hack them up to make them fit the floor pan like they say they already do. CE rails are meant to go in straight which required me to section the trunk pan 9". Unless you are planning on an exotic rear suspension, I don't recommend using them. Click on my sig to see work in progress.

Mike

MrQuick
07-06-2005, 09:17 PM
The CE ones are thin walled(although thicker than stock) and don't fit well as Mike stated. Your better off making them yourself, that way it fits the body perfectly. You won't have to use pre made req. tube as its hard to bend properly.
Heres a picture to give you an idea of what im talking about.

bretcopsey
07-07-2005, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the replies so far.

I liked the idea of starting with something that is mandrel bent then modifying as necessary, but if the CE rails are that bad, maybe I should just start from scratch. I am leaning towards fabricating something from 2x3 tubing (I assume .120 rather than .085 wall thickness ). I was thinking along the lines of J Osbornes "Ballistic" frame pictures attached below.

The crossmemeber I mentioned before would also act as ties to the rockers. It would have a second crossmember for the upper shock mounts as well.

I would appreciate anymore feedback and examples of "this is what I did" and more pictures would be great as well.

Thanks guys!

ILLEGAL69
07-09-2005, 12:29 PM
I just went threw exactly the same delema. I put alot of thought into it, I even bought the 2x3 box steel.

But I went and bought the Dii rear frame rails. And I am glad I did. They are thicker than original. I had then installed in a weekend.

I started to fab some frame rails from the 2x3 and quickly realized I wasn't going to be happy with the finished product.

The original frame is the best way to go.

If you use the original style, che David Pozzis web site for the original diagrams which give you all the measurments to install it in the correct location.

Any questions feel free to ask.