PDA

View Full Version : 4:11 gear ratio

samh
12-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Hey everyone, this is actually my first post. I'll make an intro thread once I get more photos of my new '69 Camaro, but first I had a question...

It didn't seem to bother me when I drove it while thinking about buying it, but I'm having a few people tell me that a 4:11 ratio isn't for me. I don't plan on taking it any really long distances on highways but it will make 15-20 mile highway trips every once in awhile. The car is mainly meant to cruise around and have fun in. I understand that I'll be high in the RPM range on the highway with the 4:11, but will it be something I can get used to (I've never owned a muscle car) or will it drive me absolutely crazy?

Bryce
12-13-2011, 08:58 AM
I have a 4.11 in my falcon. I have no overdrive. With a 25.5" tall rear tire I cruise around at 65 mph at 3500 rpm. I just went for a 15 mile cruise on the freeway last weekend. It was not annoying to me. I prefer the torque mulitplication and the great accelration. If you are going to autoX I would suggest a ratio that will make it so you dont have to shift at the smaller courses. Calculate max speed in first gear and look at your torque curve and waht rpms you want to drive the car.

Yoda4561
12-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Yep, nothing WRONG with a 4.11 gear, but the trick is to match the gear ratio to your driving habit, vehicle weight, and engine's power curve. High torque low RPM motors will work nice with numerically low gears, like 3.08's - 3.42's, High RPM high horsepower (for their displacement) motors, like say a high reving 327 with a big cam in it, will want 3.73's or 4.11 gears to get the car into its powerband.

samh
12-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. This car has a 355 and doesn't have overdrive either. I'd be fine just cruising at ~60mph on the highways when I have to so as long as it wouldn't cause any problems I'd be cool with it. I used to have a turbo'd car running open downpipe so I'm used to loud cars at least haha