PDA

View Full Version : truck arm rear suspension - 57 chevy

racin66coupe
12-11-2011, 04:59 PM
So, I have a 57 chevy that will be built here in the next few months, and I am looking into changing up the rear suspension to something more efficiant, and something that is not seen every day. So I then though of the truck arm kit, and after doing some reading, I know it is not as efficiant as a 3 link, some 4 links, etc. but it is pretty damn cool, and If it has worked for NASCAR for the last 30 years, I would imagine it would be fine for my needs. Hotrods to hell has a complete kit for 2k, which seems a bit steep to me, I would imagine I could have one custom built for less...

any thoughts on this?

racin66coupe
12-11-2011, 05:03 PM
oh, and as far as exhaust goes, it will be exiting out side in front of the rear tires, so that is not an issue

exwestracer
12-11-2011, 05:14 PM
It has worked in NASCAR so long because the teams are not allowed to run anything else. Yes, It does work, but inherently adds some roll resistance (depends on how far apart the front mounts are), and relatively high unsprung weight.

I'd look seriously at a 2 link with torque arm setup. Virtually identical to the truck arms in acceleration/braking, but a lot freer and more tuneable in cornering.

If you're sold the truck arm setup, stick with the OEM style stamped I-beam arms. They are designed to twist, which allows freer operation and better cornering.

racin66coupe
12-11-2011, 05:17 PM
I really do want to stick with the truck arms because how simple everything is.. compared to adjustments for say a 3 or 4 link, and it will be mostly a hot street car. And I believe that I shouldn't have to do hardly any if any floor pan mods to get everything to fit.
thanks for the advice on the OEM style arms!

jay72nova
12-11-2011, 06:39 PM
It has worked in NASCAR so long because the teams are not allowed to run anything else. Yes, It does work, but inherently adds some roll resistance (depends on how far apart the front mounts are), and relatively high unsprung weight.

I'd look seriously at a 2 link with torque arm setup. Virtually identical to the truck arms in acceleration/braking, but a lot freer and more tuneable in cornering.

If you're sold the truck arm setup, stick with the OEM style stamped I-beam arms. They are designed to twist, which allows freer operation and better cornering.

sounds like your a big fan of a torque arm setup Ray, I have heard you recomend it a number of times, can you elaborate on why you like it so much?

BBPanel
12-12-2011, 12:19 PM
I'd like to see more on the TQ Arm myself. Currently have 55 w/ladder bars and was considering converting to a TQ Arm. -Bob

RobNoLimit
12-12-2011, 12:54 PM
We (No Limit) have a nice trailing arm package for the 55-57 chevs. We use a poly-lined pivit ball up front to free up the roll resistance created with stock style bushings.

exwestracer
12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
sounds like your a big fan of a torque arm setup Ray, I have heard you recomend it a number of times, can you elaborate on why you like it so much?

Jay,
Lets start a new thread on this. It's one of the things I was going to get around to in the "rainy day" series anyway...

racin66coupe
12-12-2011, 06:48 PM
So, in this case are trailing arms the same as truck arms?

and Ray, I always thought that the torque arm was the same as a 3 link..

exwestracer
12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
So, in this case are trailing arms the same as truck arms?

and Ray, I always thought that the torque arm was the same as a 3 link..

Not at all.
Torque arm:

3 link:

Trailing (or truck) arm:

racin66coupe
12-12-2011, 07:57 PM
DUR. I should have known that. I knew they were different, but for some reason I thought that they had the same name... But now that I see the pictures next to the names, I know... oh well. thanks for the insight!

jay72nova
12-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Jay,
Lets start a new thread on this. It's one of the things I was going to get around to in the "rainy day" series anyway...

thanks Ray . I look forward to it.

Sorry racing66 for budding in on your thread!