PDA

View Full Version : best performance 9" limited slip/ locker

scottymonte
12-10-2011, 06:39 AM
Hello I am looking for feed back to help decide which dif to purchase. Vehicle use will be mixed street, drag, autox, general spirited driving. Monte has moser 9" with 31 spline axles with manual trans.

67zo6Camaro
12-10-2011, 09:57 AM
I use a Detroit True Trac. No problems and I enjoy the engagement when the power is applied. I have used mine for street, autocross and drag. 3000lbs car and +-450hp.

scottymonte
12-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I think tru-track is what I am leaning to. Although I have heard good and bad things about it. Seams like mostly good.

Greg from Aus
12-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Have a look at the Wave track, they are stronger.

Greg

scottymonte
12-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Wave track looks great, just a little pricey. Looks like $1000.00 is going rate.

Bryce
12-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I will be ordering my detroit locker in the next week or so.

dontlifttoshift
12-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Tru trac is great and is what is in my car. It's light and we are only dealing with 425 ponies. It seems when you get near the 600 horse number the wavetrac is the answer. The trutrac doesn't seem to like WFO coming out of a turn.

Bryce, I had read in another thread you were going with a locker....why? If you are going straight it is the answer for sure, but i would think the locking/unlocking would upset the car going left and right.

Bryce
12-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Tru trac is great and is what is in my car. It's light and we are only dealing with 425 ponies. It seems when you get near the 600 horse number the wavetrac is the answer. The trutrac doesn't seem to like WFO coming out of a turn.

Bryce, I had read in another thread you were going with a locker....why? If you are going straight it is the answer for sure, but i would think the locking/unlocking would upset the car going left and right.

Yep, you read that correctly. It will drive differently but I think it will be the best solution for my car. As you turn in under throttle it will make the car push, but normally that would be when you are hard on the brakes.

Matt@BOS
12-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Yep, you read that correctly. It will drive differently but I think it will be the best solution for my car. As you turn in under throttle it will make the car push, but normally that would be when you are hard on the brakes.

Bryce, can you explain how it works powering out of a corner as you are decreasing steering angle?

Matt

BADDRIDE II
12-12-2011, 03:59 PM
A locker will be a big mistake IMO if you will be attending Auto-X events. I have owned MANY cars with Lockers and are great for straight lines.....but will be a handfull at the Auto-X course.

Bryce
12-12-2011, 06:44 PM
A locker will be a big mistake IMO if you will be attending Auto-X events. I have owned MANY cars with Lockers and are great for straight lines.....but will be a handfull at the Auto-X course.

There are a few big names running lockers and mini spools.

parsonsj
12-12-2011, 06:53 PM
I ran a Locker in II Much. It worked fine on the autoX and at Road Atlanta. The only time I noticed its harshness was turning while in reverse.

Bryce
12-12-2011, 09:06 PM
I have seen a lot of cars go around the cones at SCCA events and goodguys and I have talked with builders and drivers. I also talked with Eaton at the SEMA show and discussed my options. I do not want a limited slip. I dont want the inside tire to be spinning.

Bryce
12-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Moser is running a special on the wavetrac and axles. I am considering this right now!

BADDRIDE II
12-14-2011, 09:48 AM
I have seen a lot of cars go around the cones at SCCA events and goodguys and I have talked with builders and drivers. I also talked with Eaton at the SEMA show and discussed my options. I do not want a limited slip. I dont want the inside tire to be spinning.

Hey Bryce, not sure if this was a type error or not and did not want this info to mislead others....but as you "turn in under throttle", (with a D-Locker) both wheels will stay locked and spin. If you happen to be off the throttle, the outside wheel will ratchet free.

Moser is running a special on the wavetrac and axles. I am considering this right now!

Much better choice IMO! I know its more expensive....but does have advantages. I do like D-lockers as well, but believe would be much better for straight lines or a more open road course....they just dont like quick transitions from left to right going from accel to decell like Auto-X will do :)

Bryce
12-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Hey Bryce, not sure if this was a type error or not and did not want this info to mislead others....but as you "turn in under throttle", (with a D-Locker) both wheels will stay locked and spin. If you happen to be off the throttle, the outside wheel will ratchet free.

Sorry I meant, I do not want the inside tire slipping without driving the outside.

Much better choice IMO! I know its more expensive....but does have advantages. I do like D-lockers as well, but believe would be much better for straight lines or a more open road course....they just dont like quick transitions from left to right going from accel to decell like Auto-X will do :)

I did not like the fact that the WaveTrac never locks up, it will always bias the torque. The detroit locker is predictable, it always does the same thing. I can drive with confidence knowing what the car will do with my inputs.

Under throttle a detroit locker will drive the inside wheel, whiel letting the outside wheel ratchet, until the insde wheel is spinning as fast as the outside wheel. This will be a hard impulse load but if you know its going to happen you can be prepared. The older Detroit lockers could have up to a 1/4 turn on the driveshaft until it would lock up, the new ones are better.

The only big issue is in reverse it will drive the outside wheel.

BADDRIDE II
12-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Interesting..... :drive1:

seancarole
12-24-2011, 06:05 AM
the best would be the I think it's called the grizzly

TheJDMan
12-29-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm a little confused, is the Detroit True Trac different than the Detroit Locker? Does anyone have an opinion on the Ford Trac Loc 4 pinion posi unit?

scottymonte
12-29-2011, 07:32 PM
I have decided to go with a detroit locker, friend of mine is selling me a complete third member with the detroit locker for a good price.
Could not pass it up.
If I find I do not like the way it feels, I will bite the bullet and get a wave track.

funcars
01-01-2012, 11:06 PM
another option: DPI black gold/platinum track. LSD and torque sensing combo diff. Works very good but not cheap.

LM7_67
01-11-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm a little confused, is the Detroit True Trac different than the Detroit Locker? Does anyone have an opinion on the Ford Trac Loc 4 pinion posi unit?

This is my dilemma as well. Tru Trac vs. Trac Loc. Opinions on this one? AutoX, road course, street, etc.

Hugger67RSSS
01-12-2012, 07:09 AM
I can't give anyone an opinion on which option is better but I can warn you guys about something you need to know. I bought a 9" Moser housing with axles from someone and it had a tru-trac in it. I bought a forged aftermarket trac-loc type posi after the vendor flat out told me that the tru-trac would not be any better and it was $185 more. I figured if he would rather sell me the cheaper unit he must not be lying.

Now, if you are having trouble deciding make sure that your axles will match what you end up using. My axles were too long because the trac loc has a center pin in it and a tru trac does not. The axles will be different so decide on all of it at once

Bryce
01-12-2012, 07:24 AM
I love my detroit locker. I have only done spirited street driving but it is great and predictable.