PDA

View Full Version : Suspension package for a -69 Bird!

Dazze
12-06-2011, 02:04 PM
My project is a -69 400 Firebird coupe, Pontiac BB400, TH400 & 12Bolt, drums all around.

Just got it this fall from a friend (who i helped build it) and this is what is done to it:
Front end is rebuilt to an all metal "flip front", with some subframe stiffening tubular bars from the upper firewall to the front of each "leg" just by the radiator (no crossbar yet, but i will make one).
I also plan to make and weld in my own subframe connectors, and make some billet alu subframe/body mount bushings, to stiffen up the chassie.

Previous owner had Polygraphite bushings installed all around.
New multileaf(5) rear springs (no clue what brand or model) but they are way lower than stock.
New front and rear Monroe sensatrac shocks.
Cut down stock front springs.

He also gave me a new Summit brand 11/8" solid front sway bar he got for it, but never installed (haven't got any more info on it).
Going to make some billet alu Sway bar bushing brackets for it.

The 14" wheels on it was worn out, and the bird sat realy low, the headers slamed into the ground everytime i got to a bigger bump.
The first i baught was a set of 18X8,5" wheels for it and some Kumho ECSTA SPT KU31 235/45 & 255/45 front and rear tires.
Theese have a bigger diameter than the previous wheels, so just by changing them i gained some ground claerance.
My concern now is that the front is way to "soft" and don't have much travel left before it hits the bumpstops.

So i'm lookin' for some stiffer springs up front and maby better shocks, would Moog 500-550 springs(according to David Pozzi), be enough for spirited street driving with a BB under the hood (think mountain roads) and an occasional day of AutoX?
Maby with a set of Bilstein shocks or Koni?
Some nice, bind free, bushings for my lower control arms...
And I'm lookin' at SC&C "Street-Comp Stage 2-Plus" package.

Is there anything else you think is essential to make a 1:st Gen Bird to handle?
Any input is appreciated.

Ohh, and i consider this "Stage 1".
On "Stage 2" it's time for Disc brakes, and a nice four link in the rear (maby mini-tubbing it).
"Stage 3" ????

Thanks,Dazze