PDA

View Full Version : 2004 GMC 4.3 timing

jerrys85iroc
12-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Ok so my buddy had to change his head gaskets and now that he has it all back together he can't get it timed. So what I'm asking is if anyone can tell me the the procedure to time it (cause I've never messed with timing before) so we can get this thing timed. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Oh and I wasn't there to tear it apart I'm here now with the aftermath.

absintheisfun
12-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Just replacing the head shouldn't effect the timing...Why was the head being replaced originally? Perhaps the timing was off before the head came off...

does it have a distributor or wasted spark?

larrydan
12-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Very interesting forum. I like it.

MonzaRacer
12-07-2011, 05:31 AM
Most GM use scanner and are setting cam sensor not "timing".
Pull it up on TDC number one cylinder(ds front cylinder. noting where the #1 pin ACTUALLY IS by following the trace rib to that internal point. mark on distributor.
Drop in distributor with rotor off from #1 mark on dist. IF you line it up accurately, you should be able ot drive to shop with scanner to set the cam sensor offset. Not having access to alldata or mitchell I can tell you what its limits are but generally if you get it within 2-4 degrees +or- it wont set light but make sure it gets checked, distributor being off can cause drivability issues.

David Pozzi
12-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Does a 2004 anything still use a distributor???

grenade inspector
12-07-2011, 06:05 PM
^ lol, I think you could still get a couple base model fork lifts with a dizzy in '04, not sure though. The older 4.3s did however have a dizzy. Should be a real simple matter of taking his wallet, going and buying a 15 dollar haynes manual, following the instructions and then smacking friend in the back of the head for taking it apart without paying attention. Giving the wallet back is optional.

MrQuick
12-09-2011, 11:24 PM
do it the old fasion way....disable the ignition. pull number one plug, stick your finger over the hole, crank till you get air pessure. STOP. inspect mark....set to timing spec. check number one plug wire at the cap. make a mark on distributor body. remove your cap, check rotor location. should be near the mark you made. if not remove distributor and drop in till rotor lines up. reinstall cap, reinstall plug and wire. start car. take to get scanned and adjust cam/crank relation.

gkring
12-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Problem is the 4.3 has two timing marks on the dampner, neither one of them marked. The distributor is electronic and needs to be set at the base adjustment of zero with the brown EST wire unhooked. That wire is under the dash by the passenger kickpanel. I agree, go buy the correct haynes manual and follow it. My info is from experience on a 96 4.3 S10 blazer.