PDA

View Full Version : Suspension package for GM A-Body 70 Chevelle

BIGCHEVYFTW
11-19-2011, 03:25 PM
i'm currently looking for a super deal to make my 70 chevelle handle great. I was looking at the BMR level 3 kit with the ATS AFX Tall spindle set up. here's a link ( http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=79)
Then i came across this set up that really looks like it will do the same thing except it comes with a complete disc brake kit http://www.classicperform.com/Store/Pro-Touring-Kits/6467PTK-4.htm " for around the same price. I'm seriously thinking of going with the CPP kit" (Because brakes are included) because, it looks like a steal! and when I called BMR the other day the guy was suppost to call me back and send me an e-mail with all the specs and he did'nt do either. So, im thinking maybe it was a sign I was calling wrong place for my parts. "please keep in mind that budget is everything at this time!" i just adopted a baby girl and money is super tight. its going to take me 3 months to save for my "tall spindle" suspension kit also if you guys know a cheaper route to achieve the same goal please let me know your ideas

UMI Tech
11-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Hey Bigchevy.

We also offer a pretty awesome handling kit. See details here: http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_254&products_id=599

UMI is introducing tall upper ball joints for this package in the next few days. You can see the benefits of tall upper ball joints in this thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?84610-UMI-G-Body-Upper-A-Arms-w-1-2-quot-Taller-Ball-Joints-amp-Camber-Curve-Data

Our in-house '72 LeMans has this same kit and handles great. You can see it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lksO33gTUuk

We can mix and match components so you don't have to buy everything all at once. We're working on tall lower ball joints and bumpsteer correction as well, so you can save money by not necessarily having to buy tall spindles. And, our Pro Touring rear bar is a few weeks out. We may even get to skidpad test it before the snow flies here in PA.

The cheapest route would be springs, shocks and 1/2" taller ball joint a-arms first (keep your stock bars), add our front bar and Pro-Tour rear when it comes out, upgrade rear suspension to Roto-joint trailing arms next, then add tall lower ball joint and bumpsteer correction after that.

Basically there's a myriad of options we'd love to help you with. Perhaps the biggest benefit is we have an in-house car going through the same process which is already on rails and heading toward slot car status in the spring...

Good luck with your project.

ramey

BIGCHEVYFTW
11-20-2011, 11:35 AM
the handling package looks to be a good deal and ill seriously consider it. the other option you offered wont work for me because the previous owner of the car molested the suspension in a wierd way. there is like 12 shims on each upper control arm shaft. im not sure if this was done to align the front end or, try to (Rig) correct camber. what i do know is im going with new parts I love the idea of saving money but i want to get my suspension done as the car will be off the frame which means the entire rolling chassis needs to be done including brakes rear axle and steering components so right now the CPP kit fits my goal im going to mix and match other companies suspension parts and see if i can save money they just need to work well together.

shep
11-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Call Marcus at SC&C (www.scandc.com) before you order anything from anywhere. He will tell you what you need to make your car meet your goals whether using his parts or someplace else.

ProdigyCustoms
11-21-2011, 04:40 AM
We sell and install 7 different brands od suspension solutions for your car. Fell free to clall and discuss your budget and needs

BMR Sales
11-22-2011, 08:13 AM
i'm currently looking for a super deal to make my 70 chevelle handle great. I was looking at the BMR level 3 kit with the ATS AFX Tall spindle set up. here's a link ( http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=79)
I called BMR the other day the guy was suppost to call me back and send me an e-mail with all the specs and he did'nt do either. So, im thinking maybe it was a sign I was calling wrong place for my parts. "please keep in mind that budget is everything at this time!" i just adopted a baby girl and money is super tight.

First of all congratulations on becoming a daddy!:twothumbs I'm not exactly sure who you talked to here, but I do not have any messages or notes for return calls on my desk. I personally want to apologize for not getting back to you.

The CPP Pro-Touring kit you linked is $3600 with front & rear brakes while our level 3 kit sells for $2260 ($1340 less) another option would be to go with our level 2 kit for $2019 ($1581 less) and possibly source the brakes separately.

Like Ramey mentioned you could even start out with say our level 1 kit priced at $829 to get you started or piece a custom "build-it as-you-go" custom system tailored to what you need. It really boils down to what you want out of the car and what you can afford along the way especially now that you are a new dad. Trust me money is not the only thing that will change now....... time will be just as tight as the cash now. I have two little girls myself and they are the best thing that I ever had happen to my life!

PS: Please call or email me direct for your PT member discount.:secret:

LSxChevelle
11-22-2011, 03:58 PM
We sell and install 7 different brands od suspension solutions for your car. Fell free to clall and discuss your budget and needs

Being that I'm in the market I called Frank since he offers many brands. Looks like I can reach my susp/steering goals for right around $5K. This is for a set up that will perform well around corners and still give me some adjustability in the rear for some drag days.

Thanks for your time Frank!

BIGCHEVYFTW
11-23-2011, 09:44 AM
thank you for answering.
and its funny you mentioned buying the brakes seperatly cause i decided to do just that. now as for buying the level 1 kit and then getting more as i go, thats just not going to work in this situation. My front upper control arms are rigged on the car im not sure why but the cross bar is bent and it has about 12 shims in it and i just dont trust it. that is why im going full blown suspension kit. Dont get me wrong i WANT the BMR kit its just that for the same amount of money the CPP kit has the same parts that come in your kit the only difference i see is the cpp kit comes with the QA 1 adjustable shocks in all four corners. im still considering the BMR kit so you guys are still in the race. after i check the geometry corrections if any on thier kit will be the deciding factor. Also if i decide to Go BMR youll hear from me personally rich

UMI Tech
11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Hey Bigchev. Can you post pics at all? I'm wondering about the myriad of shim action you're talking about. Perhaps we can get that sorted out and UMI can continue in your race...

Happy Thanksgiving.

ramey

BIGCHEVYFTW
11-23-2011, 10:55 AM
i wish i could but the car is on the other side of town in paint! I decided to go with my first plan of attack which is the BMR kit with the C6 brakes and tall spindle this video is what changed my mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB0wXBixSBQ&feature=player_embedded#!

BMR Sales
11-24-2011, 07:07 AM
I decided to go with my first plan of attack which is the BMR kit with the C6 brakes and tall spindle this video is what changed my mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB0wXBixSBQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Sounds good...... we have a unbelieveable deal going through this weekend..... https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?84857-BMR-Thanksgiving-Sale-15-OFF-most-BMR-Suspension-products

PM me to get th discount and I will place the order when I get in Monday....... Have a great Thanksgiving!!!!

Nothingface5384
11-24-2011, 03:11 PM
sounds good man

Chevelle598bb
11-30-2011, 03:43 PM
You may also check out using SPc uppers since they adjust with a sleeve and not shims. It sounds like you may have a offset cross shaft in your upper causing you to have to run to many shims. If the frame is bent then you may have to run that many shims with new non adjustable upper control arms also. With the SPc arms you do not use shims. Hopefully you can get it figured out. If you do go with bmr you won't be disappointed. I have used their products in the past and they were excellent quality and great price.

jilge71
11-30-2011, 08:39 PM
x2 on calling marcus at sc&c. his knowledge is insane!!! he will help you understand what you need to do to meet your goals. and if you mix and match he can still tell you what will work with what!

csouth
12-15-2011, 08:57 AM
x2 on calling marcus at sc&c. his knowledge is insane!!! he will help you understand what you need to do to meet your goals. and if you mix and match he can still tell you what will work with what!

X3....I'm not going to bad mouth any vendor, but I do know I called CPP and they couldn't even tell me what the spring rates are for a particular GM A body part they sell. Just some food for thought.

bret
12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Having done at least as much A body development [and driving] as anyone, I would like to submit the following for consideration: http://www.ridetech.com/store/musclecars/?subcats=Y&features_hash=V270.V328
Keep in mind that you do not have to buy a complete package all at once. You are certainly welcome to start with the basics and add as you see fit. As you look through the website you'll find a large amount of tech info...and should you need additional info any number of our guys can directly answer your questions. Several have their own Chevelles with the RideTech product on them, coil and air suspension.
The A body is really a pretty good platform with some simple refinements. It is certainly not out of the question to make your car ride better and handle as well as a new Corvette with bolt-on components.