PDA

View Full Version : Rear coilover mounting?

JD'sTT55
11-19-2011, 06:37 AM
1.Just wondering if there is any advantage to mounting the coilover at an angle towards the tire? I had planned on mounting it vertical but have noticed most rear coilover pro touring cars angle the lower mount towards the tire? I read that someone angled it to allow for a longer shock which isn't an issue for me I was planning on running a 5" stroke shock and have plenty of room.
2. Is there any reason to run the upper and lower mounting bolts in the same plane or parallel? I was wanting to run both in double shear but in order to do that I would have to rethink my mounts? Most kits I've looked at keep the mount bolts going the same direction which got me thinking there might be a reason? Thanks in advance your expertise and opinions are appreciated. :twothumbs

Bryce
11-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Check this thread out. https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?57509-whats-better-vertical-or-angled-rear-coilovers&highlight=

exwestracer
11-19-2011, 08:13 AM
If you are using urethane (or rubber) bushings in the shock eyes, the mounting bolts need to be parallel to each other and run front to rear. This allows the bushings to rotate as the axle articulates.

If you are using rod ends (solid ball), the mounts do NOT have to be parallel or run front to rear, as long as there is adequate range of motion for the ball.

On race cars, we put the coil overs at whatever angle works best for linear travel with wheel movement. This has everything to do with roll center location. Typically, more angle means less shock movement compared to wheel movement, but mounting straight up can put you on the other side of that equation, as the shock is actually past 90deg to the roll center location.

As far as front to rear angles, it depends on how much travel you expect, and how much pinion angle change is happening with the rear suspension geometry.

JD'sTT55
11-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks Bryce I did a search earlier but must have missed that one somehow. It had the answers to my questions on angles. Ray I am planning on using ridetech coilovers with ball ends.