PDA

View Full Version : Affordable1966 mustang coupe ifs

jeff77
11-13-2011, 03:02 PM
I have been shopping for a ifs for my 66 mustang coupe. I don't have alot of money to spend at the time, anyone know of any good setups for under $1500?

Bryce
11-13-2011, 03:17 PM
I would not do a MII unless you plan on adding structure back to car, tying in the upper torque boxes and firewall to the front frame rails.

There are a few bolt on kits that can perform very well. I built my own for about that price. But I had about 6 months of design time plus fab time.

What are your goals for the car? This is the most important question. The stock suspension can perform good if setup correctly.

jeff77
11-13-2011, 03:52 PM
I want a solid weekend driver. I am more interested in handling good in the curves and getting a good ride height.

Bryce
11-13-2011, 04:07 PM
I want a solid weekend driver. I am more interested in handling good in the curves and getting a good ride height.

you could do that with stock control arms, assuming yours are in good condition. and not spend alot of money.

I would do the shelby drop, add a larger sway bar, get the correct springs for the desired ride height, do the roller bearing conversion in the spring perches, buy the best shocks you can. I would go with some double adjustable ones.

67 Fastback
11-13-2011, 04:29 PM
My plan for my 67 is much like Bryce mentioned. Convert the UCA's to roller bearings, LCA's to roller bearings, Basically anything up front that was rubber bushinged replaced with a full rollerized bearing. Roller idler arm also. If your handy and have access to a few tools and your LCA's, UCA's, and spring perches are reusable then you can do this for less than a couple hundred bucks. Also, the strut rods will be made adjustable with heim joints on both ends. I think this will make a corner carver.
Bill

Bryce
11-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Look thtough my build, if you want to build your own suspension. I designed and fabbed up all four corners of mine.

67 Fastback
11-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Look thtough my build, if you want to build your own suspension. I designed and fabbed up all four corners of mine.

I'd love to get together with you on the phone to pick your brain on your suspension setup. I know next to nothing about this stuff. I have attempted a parts list to do a coil over conversion in the past, but felt I knew too little to design a setup. I like what you have accomplished.
Bill

Bryce
11-13-2011, 04:56 PM
I'd love to get together with you on the phone to pick your brain on your suspension setup. I know next to nothing about this stuff. I have attempted a parts list to do a coil over conversion in the past, but felt I knew too little to design a setup. I like what you have accomplished.
Bill

sounds fun! HAHA.

I designed a bolt in coilover for my 65 mustang that uses stock control arms and has more travel than any other mustang coilover conversion on the market. If you wait this might be on the market in the future.

67 Fastback
11-13-2011, 05:00 PM
sounds fun! HAHA.

I designed a bolt in coilover for my 65 mustang that uses stock control arms and has more travel than any other mustang coilover conversion on the market. If you wait this might be on the market in the future.

I like to build stuff myself. Just like the engineering done for me lol. I've got a buddy that runs a machine shop, so I have access to anything I need to build usually.
Your falcon setup looks very simple in design to replicate, which I really like and appreciate. I think with a few key measurements, I could build this myself.
Bill