PDA

View Full Version : Installing soild pinion spacer, need help.

Project69
11-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Rebuilding my rear end in the 93' (again) Im using a solid spacer what are the steps for installing this?

I know how to rebuild a rear but i've always used crush sleeves before.

Thanks

Randy67
11-09-2011, 06:21 AM
I believe (going from memory so I may be off) you setup the rear end with the crush sleeve then take it apart and measure the crush spacer. Then add the necessary shims with the spacer to match the crush sleeve It may need to be slightly less, can't remember offhand.

Project69
11-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Ok so once I get the pattern/backlash set, and everything installed just remove the pinion and replace the crush sleeve. Makes sense, then as to tightening the pinion nut to get the preload, just use the same method as a crush sleeve?

Randy67
11-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Here is a little more on the solid spacer from Randy's Ring and Pinion. It talks about how you get the preload.
http://www.ringpinion.com/FAQ.aspx#47

badazz81z28
11-20-2011, 10:49 AM
No, once you have the correct sized spacer, just torque the nut to spec, the pre-load will be correct if measured right.

bigtime
11-20-2011, 11:48 AM
I do a lot of rears so i usually just make a solid spacer smaller then look in my bin for shims then go from there. If you measure the crush sleeve then attmept to make a sold spacer from that it will be hit or miss if the preload is correct. Best bet there is to make it a little big then start taking a couple of thousands off at a time till you gett it right.