PDA

View Full Version : boxing frame on chevelle

jc70chevy
11-08-2011, 08:37 PM
im in the pro cess of bowing the frame on my chevelle but second guessing doing it . im not sure if i want to box only section of it. cause i want to retain factory crossmember. is it still worth it if i leave an opening for the crossmember. or does someone make a kit for a custom crossmember with a boxed frame any help would be great.. thanks

MrQuick
11-08-2011, 09:17 PM
after you box you can create a shelf for the x member to sit on. if you have the means you can shorten your x member to sit inside of your frame. then just weld an angle to the box

exwestracer
11-09-2011, 03:03 AM
Plenty of ways to attach a crossmember to a boxed frame. I'd be more concerned with distortion from the welding process. I believe we covered that in a recent thread in this forum.

Your Chevelle frame should have a wider bottom leg IIRC. Where the crossmember attaches, build a pocket into the boxing plate, and go around the ends of the crossmember. You may need to shorten the crossmember and/or move the holes closer to center. Just make sure you leave enough room to slide it back and forth so you can get it down out of the frame when necessary.

jc70chevy
11-09-2011, 06:36 PM
thanks guys i appreciate the advice.. i did read the warping issues you posted in another discussion.

Randy67
11-10-2011, 06:22 AM
You could use the crossmember from a convertible or El Camino, they used a tab inboard of the boxing. You can see it here in this picture, note this was my 67 El Camino, but the 68-72 is similar. The boxing does extend inward some from the frame rails so the crossmember may be a bit short for what you are doing.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

jc70chevy
12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
thanks for the pic very help ful i appreciate it.