PDA

View Full Version : 66 mustang 1.5 inches to stops is that ok?

tempoffroad
11-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Trying to set up my ride height and looks like it will be about an inch and a half till bumpstops and wasn't sure it x cross or hard street would be bouncing off stops.
Thanks

exwestracer
11-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Doesn't sound like much, but then it depends on what springs you are running, wheel motion ratio to the spring, weight, etc.

Long answer to a short question, I know.

Make sure the shocks aren't going to bottom out before you come up hard against the stops. If it is bottoming out, and you have shock / spring travel to spare, you can trim the stops down some just to take the jar out of the ride.

tempoffroad
11-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Have plenty of spring travel and I can pull spring and bumpstop and compress front end another 1.5 inches before any bind or rubbing. Have not got shocks yet.

rustomatic
11-01-2011, 08:07 PM
If possible, you can raise the shock mounts (top of towers) by spacing them upward (use a nut or steel spacer between the mount and the tower at each bolt point). Mustangs are tight, but I've seen at least a half-inch gain in travel on a track car without a messed up fiberglass hood. More travel is always better--look more toward your remaining shock travel, rather than how far it takes to hit the bump stop...

tempoffroad
11-02-2011, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the help. That's a great idea about spacing the shock up if I need to.

UMI Tech
11-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Do you have any pics of your stance? Do you have your springs installed? If so, what rates? I'm mainly interested because I have a feeling it looks awesome.

Hey Ray, are you a "BBSS bump stop guy", "stiff side of conventional suspension" guy or a "soft suspension with correct geometry guy"? I've never driven a BBSS car. Wondering how it would do on AutoX? Probably not so good due to no aero which I appears to be the main reason to do it...

ramey

campindog
11-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Tempoffroad, I have a similar suspension on a 68 convertible. As mentioned space the shocks up as much as possible w/o hitting the hood. You should be able to get 3/4" - 1". Either trim the b/s or get the global west inner brace. It has the b/s raised 3/4". Use stiff springs, GOOD shocks and roller perches. Don't forget good shocks. My ride is firm, but a long way from harsh. The hardest part was finding a spring / shock combination that worked.
The rear has a torque arm w/coilovers.

exwestracer
11-07-2011, 02:55 AM
Do you have any pics of your stance? Do you have your springs installed? If so, what rates? I'm mainly interested because I have a feeling it looks awesome.

Hey Ray, are you a "BBSS bump stop guy", "stiff side of conventional suspension" guy or a "soft suspension with correct geometry guy"? I've never driven a BBSS car. Wondering how it would do on AutoX? Probably not so good due to no aero which I appears to be the main reason to do it...

ramey

Ramey,
I missed this post but you've probably figured out I'm a "mechaical grip" guy... I never throw a solution at a car unless I know what that car wants. Too many people jump for a "canned answer" to their suspension problems, without really understanding what the problem was in the first place...

And I agree that BBSS has it's place, but I don't think it's the answer when you need good transitional response, such as AutoX...