PDA

View Full Version : Questions about axle options

Dirtleg
11-01-2011, 02:45 PM
O.K. to start I have a Dana 60 rearend sitting around and want to replace the mopar 7.25" rearend in my 65 sport fury. It is a FF from a 1978 F250 (RIP).

What I want to accomplish is

1. I am going to narrow it. How much I am unsure of yet as I haven't taken any measurements.

2. I would like to keep it a FF but obviously am not going to be running 8 lugs on the car. Does anyone know of a spindle kit that can be used. I have seen some 9 inch FF's built and was wondering if those parts would be workable on this. Also who makes them?

I expect I'll get a line up bar and machine some pucks at work when the time comes. Just trying to figure out if I can actually accomplish what I want before getting into it.

And just to be clear I will be doing the work myself.

Thanks for any input.

Greg.

Dirtleg
11-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Short followup. I see that Currie makes a kit to do exactly what I am proposing. Not cheap but includes brakes and Wilwood calipers. I was thinking of getting a D44 front spindle and figuring out a way to get the axle engaged but I see they use a warn locking hub (yes on the rear) or sell a drive flange kit to engage the axle. Might try to see what I can come up with there.

Also saw that Moser makes a kit as well. Warn used to make one but they do not any more. Ideas are flowing. This could be bad.

TheJDMan
11-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Check Moser's Circle Track rear ends and floater kits.

Randy67
11-03-2011, 06:00 AM
I would look at the 9" circle track rear ends as well. That Dana is a heavy sucker with very thick tubes. The 9" floater would do everything you want without the weight penalty.

Bulletpruf
11-03-2011, 09:37 AM
I would look at the 9" circle track rear ends as well. That Dana is a heavy sucker with very thick tubes. The 9" floater would do everything you want without the weight penalty.

X2. My custom built full floater 9" just arrived - got it from Speedway Engineering (not Speedway Motors - they don't do custom stuff) - real nice piece.

Scott

Dirtleg
11-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Yeah I realize I'd be better off using a 9". Thanks for the input on what's out there. I'll update this again when I figure out which route I want to go. May be a while before I move on it.

Greg

Dirtleg
11-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Still researching it looks like I might be able to use a Chevy small bearing spindle from a front D44. Now just need to figure out the hubs/brakes. (edit) Just had time to really dig through Mosers website. You can get any part needed and pricing is realistic too. I am a retard for not just looking through all that in the first place.

So out of curiosity what is the weight difference, roughly, between a 60 and a 9".

Greg

Randy67
11-07-2011, 09:22 AM
A search lists a full-floater Dana 60 from a truck near 500 lbs.