PDA

View Full Version : What Should i do with this Sub Box

rfalker1
10-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Hey and first of all I want to thank everybody who chimes in with an opinion on this matter!! So in my 68 camaro I decided that a 10" w6 would handle all my bass that I could desire and even more. So after shopping around I had found my w6 and had my box made for it. But shortly after I got home. I blew the w6. So, if i blew it, I figured I should upgrade. Welcome Jl audio 10"w7 into the family. Now here is the problem. What in the world should I do with it. Should stick this massive box in a corner and build an inclosure around it or would that have drastic issues on my handling since the box and sub together weigh about 60 pounds. Plus I am not a track star, so shaving seconds does not matter to me. For me that is my best idea. Since the 68 camaro engineers decided to put in a slope in the middle of the trunk. and the box is rather bulky. Here is what I have and I cant put it all the way to the edge because I have a Hotchkis shock tower brace installed. https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/06/IMG_0133-1.jpg and the next https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/06/IMG_0134-1.jpg and here is the 68 camaros trunk for those who are not familiar https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/10/402072567-1.jpg P.S I am not looking to upgrade or change subs or anything like this. Thanks for any help/ advice

Payton King
10-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Personally I would build a different box. Appears that it is a sealed box, just make sure the interanl volume is correct, shape does not matter.

Not sure why you need the shock brace in the trunk. I assume you are running leafs? I would pull the shock brace out and build a new box that fits up against the rear seat brace and fire the sub through the rear seat. Mount the amp on the back of the box and build a light weight cover to tidy all of it up. Send me your email address and I will send you pics of the way that I did it...not that my way is the best, but it worked well for me and has the weight in the center of the trunk above the rear axle.

GrabberGT
10-27-2011, 07:45 AM
As Payton said. Build a new box that fits the contour of the trunk where you want to put it. With that much bass its not going to matter much if you adhere strictly to the manufacturers box recommendation. Just make sure the woofer fits in the box and it falls within the volume range specified.

rfalker1
10-27-2011, 10:23 AM
BUT I honestly have no idea, how to create a box within a volume range specified. But I guess I can do some reading and researching on box building and see what I can learn.

Payton King
10-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Your sub will have a reccommended volume per the manufacturer. For an example, my sub rec for a sealed inclosure was 1 cubic feet without the sub in the box(gross volume). I could build it 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches for a total of 1 cubic foot. If you shorten a side due to the amount of room you have, you will need to lengthen one to keep the volume correct...simple math.

hifi875
10-27-2011, 12:22 PM
hxwxd divided by 1728 = cu ft of box

rfalker1
10-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Your sub will have a reccommended volume per the manufacturer. For an example, my sub rec for a sealed inclosure was 1 cubic feet without the sub in the box(gross volume). I could build it 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches for a total of 1 cubic foot. If you shorten a side due to the amount of room you have, you will need to lengthen one to keep the volume correct...simple math.

What you have said makes sense, basically as long as the area inside the box is equivalent to the area needed to drive the sub no matter what shape it will be efficient. and the woofer fitting of course too
hxwxd divided by 1728 = cu ft of box

hahahahah I was so confused when I saw this first, I was hxwxd. Height x Width x Depth. thanks for sending back to school

Modo Innovations
10-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Your box looks like it is too big for the 10w6, that could be the reason it failed. JL Audio only calls for .625 cu.ft. (sealed)for that speaker. The 10w7 requires 1.25 cu.ft. (sealed) thats a huge difference...twice the amount.

Chris 68
10-27-2011, 11:11 PM
How about mounting the sub in the package tray? I'm looking into doing something similar, that way you can mount the box to the underside of the tray and make the side facing the opening the trunk wide enough to mount the amps and still have clearence for the shock brace (I too have the bace in my camaro)

rfalker1
10-28-2011, 12:01 AM
How about mounting the sub in the package tray? I'm looking into doing something similar, that way you can mount the box to the underside of the tray and make the side facing the opening the trunk wide enough to mount the amps and still have clearence for the shock brace (I too have the bace in my camaro)

The package tray is the corner correct where my amp is located in the picture? And if it is I thought about about that and thought it could be neat. But I don't think I have 1.28 cubit feet of space over there. However I think it would be smooth, but 60lbs sitting on the rear corner of the car. I dont know if that would be the right thing. the 10w7 weighs 40lbs, plus we figure the box is gonna weigh 10 + pounds. Well maybe it wont be that bad. But at the same time will we have enough space
Your box looks like it is too big for the 10w6, that could be the reason it failed. JL Audio only calls for .625 cu.ft. (sealed)for that speaker. The 10w7 requires 1.25 cu.ft. (sealed) thats a huge difference...twice the amount.

Yes I have no idea why they made the box so big, I even had it professionally done :banghead: But hey, I wont go to them anymore. However I think the box is about the right size for a w7. Which I decided to upgrade it too. P.S your pedals look great in my car. Now, time to get the e-brake to work with my kick panal https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/10/DSCN0128-1.jpg

Chris 68
10-28-2011, 11:25 AM
The package tray is the corner correct where my amp is located in the picture? And if it is I thought about about that and thought it could be neat. But I don't think I have 1.28 cubit feet of space over there. However I think it would be smooth, but 60lbs sitting on the rear corner of the car. I dont know if that would be the right thing. the 10w7 weighs 40lbs, plus we figure the box is gonna weigh 10 + pounds. Well maybe it wont be that bad. But at the same time will we have enough space

Yes I have no idea why they made the box so big, I even had it professionally done :banghead: But hey, I wont go to them anymore. However I think the box is about the right size for a w7. Which I decided to upgrade it too. P.S your pedals look great in my car. Now, time to get the e-brake to work with my kick panal https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/10/DSCN0128-1.jpg

The package tray is the area where you usually mount your 6x9's, that would place the weight inside the rear axle.

rfalker1
10-28-2011, 11:56 AM
^^^ Ohhh ok. I understand

Modo Innovations
10-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate it. They look nice with the gauges that you are using.

rfalker1
10-30-2011, 02:50 PM
No Problem Shannon and thanks for making a simple but nice product. Know for the E-Brake Pedal!!!

ROBS6T8
11-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Hey Randal, are those kick panels the ones from Screamin Performance?

nekkidhillbilly
11-02-2011, 02:32 PM
there box build calculators online you can use

rfalker1
11-07-2011, 05:45 AM
Hey Randal, are those kick panels the ones from Screamin Performance?

Yes Sir, works great too!!! And the speakers are Polk Audio MM Series 6.5"s

rfalker1
11-07-2011, 05:46 AM
there box build calculators online you can use

THanks Nekkid... Payton King has been giving me crash course in sub box'es over the past 2 weeks.

67speedfreak
11-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Hey Randal,

I would mount the box under the package tray and fire it into the car. We are currently working on a package try that will allow the use of a sub and 6x9s or components.

We hope to have this available in a couple weeks !

Thanks, Brian

67speedfreak
11-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Here is a sneek peek !

Panels will ship with covered grills . We made the grills big enought to accommodate a variety of speaker configurations.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/11/IMG_6640-1.jpg

rfalker1
11-27-2011, 09:48 AM
That looks interesting, I am interested in seeing more pictures of it installed. Please update when u have time!!