PDA

View Full Version : Suspension 101

torinoguy75
10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Hello

I have a 1975 Ford Gran Torino with a 460cid, C6 trans. I would like to set up my suspension for pro touring. I know that there is not a lot out there in the way of after market control arms and steering boxes. What are some basic things that i can do to make my car handle better? Is there any one that can make or would like to make parts for my car?

thanks

killer69
10-19-2011, 11:28 AM
WOW talk about a Challenge!!!

astroracer
10-20-2011, 03:04 AM
It's easy to make your car handle better. Do a suspension rebuild with poly or del-a-lum bushings, drop it a few inches and bolt on some wider, lower profile tires. Upgrade to better shocks and add some larger swaybars. You will be amazed at what a few simple changes or additions can do to make your car handle better on the street. Granted it will be no track star but why do you need a 1+G car for a street driver? JMHO.
Mark

exwestracer
10-20-2011, 04:26 AM
I love a challenge... I'm just outside Pittsburgh. Bring it down and we can optimize the whole suspension for you...without spending a fortune.

Getting the camber curve right and reducing bump steer are 2 very important elements in consistent handling. Just bolting stuff on because somebody said it's the hot setup is a good way to throw away a lot of money with no good result...

Bryce
10-20-2011, 05:33 AM
I love a challenge... I'm just outside Pittsburgh. Bring it down and we can optimize the whole suspension for you...without spending a fortune.

Getting the camber curve right and reducing bump steer are 2 very important elements in consistent handling. Just bolting stuff on because somebody said it's the hot setup is a good way to throw away a lot of money with no good result...

X2 let me know if you want some suspension design help.

torinoguy75
10-23-2011, 09:16 AM
thanks a lot guys for all of the tips.

torinoguy75
10-23-2011, 09:49 AM

Cool thanks. There is a slight problem. My car is in Columbus Oh, I am In Mannheim Germany, and my car is being put back together. Is it better to have tubular upper and lower control arms made for my car? Can you make control arms if i get some old ones?

exwestracer
10-24-2011, 03:13 AM
Cool thanks. There is a slight problem. My car is in Columbus Oh, I am In Mannheim Germany, and my car is being put back together. Is it better to have tubular upper and lower control arms made for my car? Can you make control arms if i get some old ones?

Yes, we can make whatever you need. There are also "build-up" arms out there that may work just fine. As I said, I look for the simplest, most economical way that doesn't involve compromising the design.

The main thing is getting all the components in the proper location to keep the tires happy. You absolutely should have a definite tire/wheel combo figured out before anyone does any suspension work.

torinoguy75
10-24-2011, 09:40 AM
My wheel and tire combo is boss 335 wheels 18X8 in the front and 18X9.5 in the rear. With nitto NT05's, front tires are 265/35/R18,and rear 285/35/18

exwestracer
10-25-2011, 03:17 AM
My wheel and tire combo is boss 335 wheels 18X8 in the front and 18X9.5 in the rear. With nitto NT05's, front tires are 265/35/R18,and rear 285/35/18

You are not going to need much camber gain with that package, which makes things pretty simple. No need to go to a tall ball joint/spindle combo. Some minor geometry tweaks and bump steer adjustments should get it pretty well squared away. I would suggest a rack and pinion swap. It makes bump steer adjustment much simpler and gives better road feel in addition to more direct steering control.

As far as the rear suspension goes, some simple mods can improve the instant center, and the roll center can be tuned by going to an adjustable panhard bar.

torinoguy75
10-27-2011, 10:44 AM
cool good to know. :) The Rear control arms on a 1969-79 B-body ford are a little different than on GM's. both the upper and lower contol arms are at the out board ends of the axe where the drums are. Will that affect the handling of the car in the ?

exwestracer
10-27-2011, 04:40 PM
cool good to know. :) The Rear control arms on a 1969-79 B-body ford are a little different than on GM's. both the upper and lower contol arms are at the out board ends of the axe where the drums are. Will that affect the handling of the car in the ?

It will have slightly different roll steer characteristics, but nothing terrible.

TheJDMan
10-28-2011, 05:26 PM
exwestracer, PM sent.

torinoguy75
11-06-2011, 02:45 AM
What kind of rack would you suggest for my car? Also what type of springs should i get for my car? Can you make upper and lower control arms for my car?

exwestracer
11-06-2011, 05:00 AM
What kind of rack would you suggest for my car? Also what type of springs should i get for my car? Can you make upper and lower control arms for my car?

Yes, I can build upper and lower arms for you (if necessary...). I wouldn't answer your other questions without a lot more information about the car and your plans for it...

What ride height are you looking for? Not necessarily a number; but stock, slightly lowered, laying frame...etc.
What are you looking to do in the way of body/chassis mods to fit those tires?
Will the engine/trans or other components be moved from stock locations?
What are your goals for performance? Will this be a primarily street/show car, or an autocrosser, or a full on track attack car?
How many miles a year do you (realistically) plan on driving it?
And last but NOT least? What is a realistic budget? I look at the budget as a "line in the sand". If it means getting my ass kicked, I'm not even gonna get close; but it can also be re-drawn if need be.