PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen DSE Subframe and headers

olblue51
10-06-2011, 07:27 AM
I was just about to pull the trigger on a Chassisworks G-Machinge subframe when I got the new issue of Chevy High Performance and figured I would take another look at Detroit Speed's setup. I originally ruled out DSE because I could not use air springs but now I'm also reconsidering air springs vs coilovers.

My question is... what is everyone with a 2nd gen F-body and DSE subframe running as far as headers? I know Detroit Speed makes headers but at $2200, I'm out if that's my only option. Is there any other long tube header that will work? Mid length headers would be a last resort.

MuscleRodz
10-07-2011, 09:25 AM
lemons makes a header, but not really a cheaper option. DSE is my choice hands down bewteen the two. If you are wanting air, I would look at Speedtech before chassisworks

dhutton
10-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Art Morrison offers some affordable headers for their subframe.

olblue51
10-08-2011, 07:29 AM
lemons makes a header, but not really a cheaper option. DSE is my choice hands down bewteen the two. If you are wanting air, I would look at Speedtech before chassisworks

As far as I know, Speedtech only makes an aftermarket subframe for 1st gen. F-bodies. Lemons also does not list a header on their website for 2nd gen Camaros w/ a DSE subframe but I will call them Monday. I'm sure if they do make them they will be quite pricey also. I don't mind spending good money for a quality set of headers but $2200 would be better spent in other areas of my car right now. Are there any mid-length headers that would get me by until I'm further along with my car and can spring for the long tubes?

Art Morrison offers some affordable headers for their subframe.

When I first decided to use an aftermarket subframe Art Morrison was my first choice. I wasn't completely sold on the way the Shockwaves had to be mounted so I decided on Chassiworks. Since I might be scrapping the whole air ride deal I might take another look at the AM Subframe. I just like Detroit Speed's suspension because it seems to be the most proven setup out there.

ProdigyCustoms
10-08-2011, 10:20 AM
The DSE Subframe is a proven performer. Bryan Finch and Kyle Tucker are always top 5 and often number 1 and 2 with their 2nd gen cars. Un disputable. The AME Subframe has equal geometry numbers but there are no regular participants at Pro Touring events running the AME set up so the actual performance reports may be skewed because there are no contenders running the AME. Personally, I think they are equal and sell both of them with pride.

The full boggy second Gen Chris Alston kit is not quite ready but is promised to be coming soon.

I hear a runmor the Speedtech set up is coming soon also.

I am so happy we sell them all.

Now on to your original question. Headers. You did not specify engine but if it is a LS engine there is something we are test fitting very soon for DSE and also AME subframes. So if you do not need headers today and have a little time for headers. I would say it is safe to say you can buy the DSE subframe with no fear of being forced to buy high dollars headers.

MuscleRodz
10-08-2011, 09:24 PM
sorry, forgot you mentioned 2nd gen when I posted response. DSE headers tuck nice and tight, hard pressed to find another set of production headers with equal ground clearance on full length headers

olblue51
10-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Sorry... I did forget to mention I'm running an LS6. Looks like I'll be combing through my options once again since I've pretty much decided to run coilovers. Decisions are a pain in the ass.

PARKERRS
10-11-2011, 05:53 AM
I used the DSE sub-frame with an LS engine. At the time DSE didn't offer the headers, if I'm not mistaken their headers are being built by Lemons. They told me to contact lemons as they were working on the jigs from DSE's pattern.

I have an excellent exhaust fabricator here locally. He does everything from top fuel to street cars, hand building headers. An entire set of custom one-off headers, 3 inch pipes with hand built X pipe, 18 inch Magnaflow mufflers, tail pipes and hangers ran me just under 2 grand. Now the ceramic coating was extra as these weren't stainless, stainless would have added another grand easy.

carbuff
10-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Have you looked into Jake's Rod Shop's Apex setup? Jake makes a very nice subframe setup based on C6 geometry and can utilize either stock C6 suspension components or his own fabricated tubular arms. Jake also manufactures 2 different styles of headers to match an LS engine with his subframe: a typical 4:1 collector style and a Tri-Y style (which is the one I chose).

Price-wise he is a bit less expensive than the DSE setup, and after purchasing one and seeing it in person (as well as visiting his shop earlier this week), I can say that his work is top-notch. He also races the products that he makes/sells, and does quite well in the NASA American Iron series in which he races

So one more option to add to the decision... ;)

http://www.jakesrodshop.com/public_html/Products.html

solarguy09
10-12-2011, 01:22 PM
You guys have some great cars.
I am in the shop right now for a bunch of stuff.
I am installing the speed tech pro touring front end with 13 inch willwoods. and Hotchkis rear springs and subframe connectors.
I am also redoing the exhaust completely.I too am looking for good ground clearance and access to the spark plugs.
Completely new to pro touring , but a 2nd Gen owner since 1976....My 71 Z/28 since 1983.
I am lookin forward to the new tech that i am having installed including an upgraded power steering unit..

TBART70
10-12-2011, 04:03 PM
I hear a runmor the Speedtech set up is coming soon also.

I am so happy we sell them all.

what is the rumor

olblue51
10-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Have you looked into Jake's Rod Shop's Apex setup? Jake makes a very nice subframe setup based on C6 geometry and can utilize either stock C6 suspension components or his own fabricated tubular arms. Jake also manufactures 2 different styles of headers to match an LS engine with his subframe: a typical 4:1 collector style and a Tri-Y style (which is the one I chose).

Price-wise he is a bit less expensive than the DSE setup, and after purchasing one and seeing it in person (as well as visiting his shop earlier this week), I can say that his work is top-notch. He also races the products that he makes/sells, and does quite well in the NASA American Iron series in which he races

So one more option to add to the decision... ;)

http://www.jakesrodshop.com/public_html/Products.html

Funny you mention because I've been speeking with Jake for the last couple of days. For me, it's a no brainer to go with his setup. It's very well thought out and he has some nice options/upgrades to choose from. His header options are reasonably priced as well. I got a qoute from him today and should be pulling trigger by the end of this week.

carbuff
10-12-2011, 07:29 PM
You were probably trying to call while I was occupying his time Monday afternoon. ;) If you place the order, I probably saw the subframe that you are going to get during my visit to his shop...