PDA

View Full Version : Ride Tech True Turn and Coil Over Conversion Install At Prodigy Customs

ProdigyCustoms
09-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks to my buddy Patrick for allowing us to use his car for a test install. We did a install of Ride Techs New True Turn and Coil Over Conversion Packages. The True Turn kit included the True Turn and the Ride Tech Tall Drop Spindles. The Coil Over Conversion included upper and lower arms and Single Coil Overs shocks.

I will jump to the end of the review and tell you I truly believe the True Turn and True Coil Over Conversion, with Ride Techs Spline Sway Bar, combined with a quality steering box like our 600 box, really narrows the gap between aftermarket subframes and a modded stock frame!

That is a big statement but the proof is in the numbers, and I verified those numbers personally in our own shop (Photo documentation below).

TRUE TURN

The True Turn eliminates the Bump Steer. While I was not able to do a scientific bump steer analyses, I can tell you with the drivers side spindle locked in the place the steering did not move a measurable amount through our camber curve test.

COIL OVER CONVERSION

The Coil Over Conversion with the drop pocket lower control arm allows a longer shock and spring package within the confines of the factory spring pocket. The swivel end at the top of the shock is pure genius and eliminates the side loading of the shock shaft as the arm goes through it's travel. Side loading shocks is prevalent in previous coil over conversion offerings.

TALL SPINDLES

The Tall Spindle helps with the camber gain. I was a little worried because Patricks Car has a previous Gulstrand Mod. I was concerned the camber gain may be too severe and worried about possible ball joint bind. My concerns we unfounded. I was really happy with the camber gain. Very aggressive, increases exponentially where it needs to in the middle of the travel, but is not so extreme that it will lift the outside edge of the tire either. Damn near perfect.

275 TIRES

Add to that the fact you can put equal size front wheels and tires to aftermarket subframes 275s (HUGE DEAL) and I truly believe any performance difference is in the driver!

I had a chance to take a dozen laps in the 48 hour Camaro at RTTHs with Bret this past weekend (Scared the **** out of me). By the 3rd lap I was comfortable Bret was not going to kill us and was able to focus on what the car was doing. The car is really well balanced, no real push and manageable over-steer as needed.

Our install was a test install of the True Turn to critique the kit and instructions. We helped work out minor bugs related to inconsistencies in the original cars and the final product is awesome. The install is basic and can be done in a few hours in ones garage with hand tools.

If you are getting the idea I like this stuff, your right.

I will get to windy saying everything I can think of about this stuff, so look at the pics and ask away!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
True Turn Kit with Tall Drop Spindles

Below is the camber gain test

Ride height .4 degrees negative camber, notice the rotor is straght forward

1" travel, 1.2 degrees negative camber, ,8 degree camber gain, Rotor Still Straight

2" travel, 2.7 degrees negative camber, 2.3 degrees camber gain, Rotor still straight

2" travel, 3.5 degrees negative camber, 3.1 degrees camber gain, Rotor still straight

itsals1
09-30-2011, 04:59 AM
Thanks Frank! Just wondering what control arms the camaro is running?

Travis

ProdigyCustoms
09-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Ride tech Uppers and Lowers.

The Ride Tech Coil Over Conversion requires their lower arm with drop pocket and thru bolt

gdev_
09-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Is that a 68? Interested in the fender to hub measurement.

Bryce
09-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Nice write up Frank.

ProdigyCustoms
09-30-2011, 07:18 AM
That is a 68, runs a 26" tire so 13" to center of spindle is just at the top of the tire.

Probird
10-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I have a question, what is it about the True Turn that allows the larger tire size? Why can't you run a 275 on a stock subframe? What components get in the way with a stock spindle and steering arm? I'm curious because I'm building a 70 Nova right now. I have almost completed the fabrication work on the rear suspension, mini-tubbed and built a 3-link. It's almost time to move to the front and would like to get as much information as I can before hand, as well as figure out what I want to do with the front. I personally really like the drop spindles and add the taller version into the equation and it's a win, win situation IMO. I have considered doing the G-mod with a 1/2" taller ball joint instead. My previous experience with my 68 firechicken which was slammed by lowering springs that had been cut even further had tons of suspension problems. Like I would wipeout ball joints pretty consistently and I figured it was from being to low and the angle of the A-arms with relation to the ball joint to spindle angle. Pardon my wording of thing, but I really want to avoid those problems and the taller drop spindle is just the ticket.

rocketrod
10-03-2011, 03:27 PM
What type of brakes packages, C5/C6/???, was that setup designed for?

Pontiac Chris
10-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi Frank, you mention Patrick's car had the Guldstrand Mod, did you run the tall spindles with the G-Mod?

I currently have the G-Mod with a GW upper and could go back to the stock location with some strengthening work (clearanced for stock upper) as I am seriously considering upgrading to the Ride Tech True Turn and coil over conversion when finances allow.

Cheers,
Chris.

nkopper
10-11-2011, 02:58 PM
When Speedtech gets the TruTurn to work with ATS tall spindles, I'm all in.

Nathan

ProdigyCustoms
10-11-2011, 03:31 PM
I have a question, what is it about the True Turn that allows the larger tire size? Why can't you run a 275 on a stock subframe? What components get in the way with a stock spindle and steering arm? I'm curious because I'm building a 70 Nova right now. I have almost completed the fabrication work on the rear suspension, mini-tubbed and built a 3-link. It's almost time to move to the front and would like to get as much information as I can before hand, as well as figure out what I want to do with the front. I personally really like the drop spindles and add the taller version into the equation and it's a win, win situation IMO. I have considered doing the G-mod with a 1/2" taller ball joint instead. My previous experience with my 68 firechicken which was slammed by lowering springs that had been cut even further had tons of suspension problems. Like I would wipeout ball joints pretty consistently and I figured it was from being to low and the angle of the A-arms with relation to the ball joint to spindle angle. Pardon my wording of thing, but I really want to avoid those problems and the taller drop spindle is just the ticket.

Sorry, missed these replies. The steering arms and sway bar are the limiting factors

ProdigyCustoms
10-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Hi Frank, you mention Patrick's car had the Guldstrand Mod, did you run the tall spindles with the G-Mod?

I currently have the G-Mod with a GW upper and could go back to the stock location with some strengthening work (clearanced for stock upper) as I am seriously considering upgrading to the Ride Tech True Turn and coil over conversion when finances allow.

Cheers,
Chris.

Yes, we are running the Ride Tech Spindles with the G Mod, those camber gain results are for the combo of tall spindle and Gulstrand Mod accoring to the template

ProdigyCustoms
10-11-2011, 03:37 PM
What type of brakes packages, C5/C6/???, was that setup designed for?

The Ride Tech Spindle takes any brake kit designed for a orignal F or A Body spindle. So cool thing is if you already have a Wilwood, Baer, or Corvette kit adapted to your orignal spindle, your good to go.

With that said, on Patrick's car, he had a C5 kit previously and drum brake spindles and we needed a .500 spacer and a longer bolt on one of the caliper brackets that most likely would be included in a new kit for drum or disc spindles.

killer69
10-11-2011, 08:00 PM
no interferance with the caliper and the steering arm?

glr0212
03-12-2012, 08:00 AM
What is the final determination on the backspacing frank?

Is 18x9.5 with 5.75" BS what you recommend?

David Pozzi
03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
I drove the 48 hour Camaro at Del Mar last fall. The True Turn system is awesome, it makes the steering very precise. Getting a 275 tire on a 67-68 is a huge benefit. I think the extra negative camber gain helps the tire move inward in bump which moves it away from the fender lip.
David

bret
03-13-2012, 06:07 AM
We run an 18x10 wheel with a 5.75 backspace and a 275-35/18 BFG KDW tire. On the 67/68 there WILL be some outer and inner fender trimming to be done for tire clearance...IF you are running the half height body bushings that lower the car an extra 1/2". I have not run this combination on a 69 yet [but coming soon] or with the full height bushings, so I cannot comment directly on that. The trimming on the outer and inner fender is not hard and the finish work can be as simple or elaborate as your ambition and talent allow.