PDA

View Full Version : Speed-Tech vs. Ridetech

itsals1
09-27-2011, 05:13 AM
Not trying to start a war here, just wanted some sugestions.
I have a 67' camaro and want to keep the stock sub. I have thought of using the same RideTech's front suspension as the 48 Hour camaro OR using Speed-Tech's high clearence control arms and ther Chicane package along with RideTechs 48 Hour camaro front end?
Lets here your ideas!

Travis

killer69
09-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Both good Choices, the Chicane kit lets you run a longer shock/spring , but there is some welding, We also have it set up for the Ridetech shocks, the hiclearance Control arms (Uppers only) will work Grat on the stock sub BUT you will need the AFX tall spindle, The tall spindle helps corrects the steering as well as giving you the camber gain and Corvette wheel bearings and brakes.
Currently we are working with RT to make the Truturn work with the AFX spindle, that will be the ultimate STOCK SUB set up.

itsals1
09-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks Blake,
Would I be abe to run the RideTech spindle with the Speed-Tech arms?
Would you say that the Truturn is even better than a power rack?

Travis

Bad94
09-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Im running ATS upper coil over mount, ridetech coilovers, DSE upper and lower arms, and Ridetech Tru turn set up, Works great.

I just had the 18x10's with 275's off brets 48 hour camaro, on the front of the nova at RTTH's and everything clears. Picked up 2 sec, too.

Damn True
09-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Both good Choices, the Chicane kit lets you run a longer shock/spring , but there is some welding, We also have it set up for the Ridetech shocks, the hiclearance Control arms (Uppers only) will work Grat on the stock sub BUT you will need the AFX tall spindle, The tall spindle helps corrects the steering as well as giving you the camber gain and Corvette wheel bearings and brakes.
Currently we are working with RT to make the Truturn work with the AFX spindle, that will be the ultimate STOCK SUB set up.

Does this address the issue we've previously discussed?

Flash68
09-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Does this address the issue we've previously discussed?

And what would that be? I have the AFX spindle and stock sub and am following this...

Damn True
09-27-2011, 03:32 PM
On some applications (mine) it is difficult to fit a 9.5" wheel w/o impacting the outer tie-rod end.

68Formula
09-27-2011, 03:41 PM
They both have "tech" in their names, how can you go wrong either way?

bret
09-28-2011, 06:44 AM
On some applications (mine) it is difficult to fit a 9.5" wheel w/o impacting the outer tie-rod end.

The TRU TURN system WILL clear up to a 10" wide wheel with up to a 5.75" backspace in a 17" or 18" diameter. The Tru Turn steering arm is a bit shorter and higher, so it fits inside the bell of the wheel instead of hitting the rim edge. On a 67-68 Camaro with 1/2 height body bushings, a 275 tire will require a small amount of outer/inner fender massaging for turning clearance. stock height body bushings SHOULD eliminate this requirement.
Also...this system will fit with NO tire clearance issues on a 2nd gen Nova. Apparently it has just a bit more room than the Camaro.

As for fitment with the AFX spindle...I don't know that yet because we haven't had a chance to try it. I don't know that it WON'T fit...just need to mock it up. Hopefully after the Texas Goodguys event this weekend we'll get a chance to do that. We'll also get a chance to mock up the Heidt's spindle as well.

I did have a customer, Prodigy Customs, that installed a Tru Turn with a previously done Guldstrand modification [lowering the attachment point of the upper control arm] and reported that installation to be successful.

I also had a customer attempt to install a Tru Turn with a small block and large tube super comp headers...the header tubes interferred with the steering linkage and it was not compatible. He is deciding now if he will change headers or return the tru turn system.

As for a rack and pinion conversions...absolutely NOT compatible. The systems that I have checked here have massive, undriveable amounts of bumpsteer, and I didn't see any feasible way to correct that. From what I can see, a rack could be made to work, but would require removal and replacement of the entire oem crossmember to get proper rack placement. Possible, but not really feasible. Remember with these rack systems...just because it will bolt on the car doesn't mean it will work.

We will continue to identify combinations that may or may not work and try to keep everyone informed.

Damn True
09-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Compelling stuff Bret. Thanks for the info. I shot you an email yesterday through the tool here on PT.com with a specific inquiry.

bret
09-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Send me a direct email at [email protected]. My iPad doesn't pick up the pm's well.

Damn True
09-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Send me a direct email at [email protected]. My iPad doesn't pick up the pm's well.

It should have gone to your email, not your PM. Will re-send later today.

itsals1
09-30-2011, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the advise given. Its nice that this site has people that are willing to give real world facts.

Travis

mdprovee
09-30-2011, 06:20 AM
"I also had a customer attempt to install a Tru Turn with a small block and large tube super comp headers...the header tubes interferred with the steering linkage and it was not compatible. He is deciding now if he will change headers or return the tru turn system. "

I have decided to have my headers modified to clear the inner tie rod. Pulled the header out, and started putting the passenger side back together last night.

ProdigyCustoms
09-30-2011, 07:24 AM
"I also had a customer attempt to install a Tru Turn with a small block and large tube super comp headers...the header tubes interferred with the steering linkage and it was not compatible. He is deciding now if he will change headers or return the tru turn system. "

I have decided to have my headers modified to clear the inner tie rod. Pulled the header out, and started putting the passenger side back together last night.

Useless trivia information. My Super Comp headers on my 69 Small Black Street Racer are so tight that even with stock steering I cannot run zerk fitting on one inner tie rod because I can relieve the header enoug to clear a simple grease fitting. Piss pour clearance design