PDA

View Full Version : Summit tubular control arms

1LIVEF85
09-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I have a 65 GM A Body that I would like to update the suspension on n was thinking of buying summit racing front upper n lower tubular control arms n going with the Jegs rear control arms...

The question at hand is really "Has anyone bought these n how strong are they?"

Is there anything I need to find out about these?

For the price($330 Lpper & $500 Lower) for the pair I think it would be a good buy.

Suspension guru's can chime in anytime.

I would like to drive this car everyday with a weekend visit to autocross track..

srh3trinity
09-24-2011, 02:36 PM
I think they may have stock geometry. No first hand experience, but they don't look as strong as other arms. Probably more for a straight line/weight reduction.

Nothingface5384
09-24-2011, 05:18 PM
i'm think the same alsao...tubular version of stock.

just go with a combination such as spc uppers/lowers for the front and currie bottom/edelbrock uppers for the rear. with hr parts in stuff rear bar
This is the typical strret/strip combo.
since you mentioned auto-x perhaps dse rear upper/lower arms with their bar with mentioned spc fronts, or speed tech kit

69cutlassrkt
09-26-2011, 07:21 AM
The hr parts n stuff bar is for drag racing. It would probably make the rear suspension really stiff. The hellwig adj. bar would be more ideal for a street car. If it were me I would go with SCandC especially if you were to autocross it.

Norm Peterson
09-26-2011, 08:12 AM
How much stronger than stock do you really need them to be? Are you on the verge of pulling the LF tire on a launch?

I don't know exactly which arms you're looking at, but all of the aftermarket arms I've ever seen advertised as having polyurethane bushings are oriented toward drag racing. The stiffness of the poly can get in the way of the kind of handling you're after at autocross. It'll also ride a little stiffer than really necessary - not an unbearably harsh kind of stiffness like you inflated your tires with concrete instead of air, more like an extra dose of side to side head toss under some conditions.

What you really want is arms that have some sort of spherical pivot in at least one end, or possibly arms that have a torsional release built into the arms themselves. I'm not sure how that plays with a rear sta-bar that connects like GM OE to the lower arms, but it's probably better to get the bar off the arms anyway. Don't go to big on a rear bar, as it'll make the tail get loose easier.

Norm

1LIVEF85
09-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Okay, so I found out that the Summit arms r designed for optimum balljoint angles n optimum suspension travel plus optimized arm length for handling n Proper alignment. Made from CNC-Bent DOM tubing... SUM770220...

I wish I knew How to link the site but I got this from the website. I just feel like its a general explination... Still for $330.. I didnt see anything thats a pair for close to that... thats adjustable.. Still would like to see a set reviewed by a hot rod magazine or a forum member

badazz81z28
09-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Okay, so I found out that the Summit arms r designed for optimum balljoint angles n optimum suspension travel plus optimized arm length for handling n Proper alignment. Made from CNC-Bent DOM tubing... SUM770220...

I wish I knew How to link the site but I got this from the website. I just feel like its a general explination... Still for $330.. I didnt see anything thats a pair for close to that... thats adjustable.. Still would like to see a set reviewed by a hot rod magazine or a forum member

They may be only $330, but thats $330 wasted if you don't gain any benefits from them. In this game, don't go cheap. I would stick with stock or pony up the bucks.

Rod
09-28-2011, 06:06 PM
please don't buy, there is a difference between the 1964-1967 A-body and 1968-1972 A-body arms and if there selling one set of arms to cover all the years there cant be a geometry gain in any way at all, I have spent the last year prototyping a few control arms and I have measured some of these one style fits many models and there not correct! just cheap! if you can wait PM me after SEMA and I may have some help for your arm search

Norm Peterson
09-29-2011, 03:41 AM
Be a little careful about how you interpret the word "optimum" when it shows up in advertising copy. Marketing and sales people have been known to exaggerate their claims from time to time . . .

Just copy the page address text and paste it into your reply.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-770220/

Norm