PDA

View Full Version : 12 bolt swap ?s

LSX69
09-22-2011, 01:33 PM
OK, So I know I dont post on here a lot but after 8 long years my car is finally out of paint and body lol. I am finally to the assembly stage and Im about to have a lot of questions for everyone on here. Ill start with this one.. I picked up a 12 bolt that came out of a 68 chevelle and a brand new eaton posi unit for a great deal hoping I would be able to put it in my 69 camaro. I recently mini tubbed the car so I was going to be narrowing the rear anyway and having the axles cut and resplined. From what I understand the 68 rear is 62.5" wide and the 69 camaro rear is 60". Am I going to have to have any issues or run into anything serious? seems like it would be a pretty straight swap but I thought I would get some insight from you guys. Thank you all in advance! -Jeff Loud

Skip Fix
09-25-2011, 08:07 AM
You wil have to have leaf spring perches welded on it, or ladder bar 4 link depending on what you did when you tubbed it .It will also have the "ears" on it for the Chevelle upper 4 links cast into it just as a cosmetic deal even if you cut off most of them.

I'd freshen it and resell it, or pull the posi and sell the carier and axles as a "core" for some Chevelle/GTO guy and either buy the correct housing or a new one from Moser, etc pop the posi in it with new shorter axles.

Bet with adding perches, cutting and resplining axles(assuming they are good axles) you'll have more into an almost 40 year old one than buying a new one.

Randy67
09-26-2011, 05:57 AM
I agree with Skip, sell the 12-bolt to a Chevelle/A-body owner and get a Moser/Currie/other new rear axle. I don't think the stock axles can be resplined, something to do with the way they are tapered. The axles usually are smaller in diameter right behind the splines, if so they can't be resplined unless you shorten the axles down to where they are large enough in diameter. Check with someone like Moser to verify.

TT302Z28
09-26-2011, 05:22 PM
You could use your housing and just buy new axles the correct length after shortening?