PDA

View Full Version : What is your take on Coil Overs for 1st Gen Camaro?

tonyvol
09-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Hey guys, I wanted to see what you guys thought about coil overs for a 1st Gen Camaro? I have talked to several guys and have been told that a coil over set up for a 1st Gen Camaro isn't the best way to go because the spring rates need to be so high because of the small area that coil over needs to fit and work and the travel of coil over is very short. Keep in mind that this would be if you are using a coil over set up where there are no major modifications needed to the subframe. Direct fit set up. I was told that coil overs that are longer would be good, but to do that with a 1st Gen would require major modifications to the subframe. I would like to drop the car 2" in the front. I was told that I would be better off with something like a Hotchkis front lowering 2" Coil spring and some good adjustable stocks. Keep in mind I have also talked to guys that love coil overs. Is it just personal preference or is one really better than the other? I'm looking for any advice and direction you guys can give me.

Thanks,
Tony

sales@jcg
09-21-2011, 06:14 PM
When set up properly even on a factory subframe it is a vast improvement over factory coils, the problem is when not using the proper shock spring combonation you will run into coil bind, or using to light of a spring you will experience the shock botoming out which both can be avoided and have been with dirrect fit kits.... Ridetech offers an extremly nice affordable kit which is a dirrect bolt in application on the front and very minimal welding on the rear axle housing for the four link brackets... The Ridetech kit is complete with upper and lower control arms which correct the suspension geometry slightly, improve ball joint angles, and using the 2" spindle which is also a tall spindle will give you increased camber gains, and allow you to use a longer travel shock, the rear 4 link improves the performance by leaps and bounds and is complete with the under body cradle, 4-link bars and coil overs, the coil overs that are used are an impact forged monotube shock that they teamed up with fox racing to design and manufacture which resulted in a superior product at an affordable price .
now getting a little bit more radical you can step up to a DSE or Roadster Shop subframe which have all the antidive, caster camber etc... factored in, and there is DSE's Qudralink rear kit which much like the Ridetech kit is a bolt in application. all depends on the predetermind budget you have in mind any of the mentioned kits are exceptional
If you have any questions feel free to ask on this thread or via pm and I'll be more than happy to assist.

Hotchkis
09-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Tonyvol – You can’t beat the price and simplicity of installing a set of lowered coil springs. They’ve been proven on street and track cars and there’s no modification needed to install them. With all the money you save you could get some track time and driver instruction to improve your track times. :)

Carl Casanova and Mary Pozzi have proven that Hotchkis coil springs can perform great on the street and track.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/09/1107chp05oruntothecoastiievent68chevycam-1.jpg