PDA

View Full Version : Can i do it?????

creekwood08
09-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Well fellas Im a month away from making a purchase of new suspension parts because my 69 camaro is in great need of it. Ive got about 5grand saved up at the moment and will increase by maybe a grand or 2 a month but want to get started soon so ill have her on the road when it warms up again. My power steering gear box and pump are VERY leaky so Im probly going to order some from lee. My ball joints are done so i figured might as well replace them with new control arms. Going to get a set of coilovers as well. So probly going to go with the ride tech or speechtech front kits for the car. Would love to get a whole new sub but id like to save as much $ as possible to spend on other parts of the car. Steering linkage under the car is very loose and probly will get replaced as well. I also plan on putting in c5/c6 brakes on the front of the car also this winter. I might be better off getting a whole new sub since my whole front suspension seems to need some TLC...idk for sure yet...... Ive really never worked on cars very much other than the very basic stuff. Is there anyway you think I could install all these things on my own since there is quite a bit to replace and me not having an experience or should I just send this off to a professional. Id like to do it but dont know if id be better off letting a pro do it. Tools to do it shouldn't be a problem.

grenade inspector
09-21-2011, 05:11 PM
I'd say go for it, there is tons of experience around here and people willing to help out

creekwood08
09-21-2011, 05:17 PM
yea everyone on here is been very helpful. I just wanted some opinions of some guys that has done something like this to see if they think a newbie could handle it

sales@jcg
09-21-2011, 06:41 PM
The Ridetech kit is a nice affordable kit which is a dirrect bolt in application on the front and very minimal welding on the rear axle housing for the four link brackets... The Ridetech kit is complete with upper and lower control arms which correct the suspension geometry slightly, improve ball joint angles, and using the 2" spindle which is also a tall spindle will give you increased camber gains, and allow you to use a longer travel shock, the rear 4 link improves the performance by leaps and bounds and is complete with the under body cradle, 4-link bars and coil overs, the coil overs that are used are an impact forged monotube shock that they teamed up with fox racing to design and manufacture which resulted in a superior product at an affordable price .

If you have any tech questions or questions on price we are here to help... Even if you opt to not purchase through us we would rather you get good correct information. We can also help you with install tech since we have 10 f bodies in the shop all getting full suspesion treatments.

Please let us know if there is any thing we can do to help with your build...

-JCG

shep
09-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Only thing I can think of that can get you in trouble is removing the current coil springs. Since your replacing everything leave the shocks in when you break the spindle loose from the ball joint to help keep the spring from flying out. After the tension is off the spring use a pair of vicegrips and lock them on the nut on the top of the shock rock it back and forth until it snaps off.

JRouche
09-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Ive really never worked on cars very much other than the very basic stuff. Is there anyway you think I could install all these things on my own since there is quite a bit to replace and me not having an experience or should I just send this off to a professional. Id like to do it but dont know if id be better off letting a pro do it. Tools to do it shouldn't be a problem.

Well, I have an opposing answer to my own answer.

If you have to ask then it might be abit much for you (and seriously, thats not meant as a knock on you or your question, Im NOT into discouraging people when it comes to doing your OWN work on your car, just the opposite). But if you think it might be a lil much for you to handle comfortably then it might be. A secure and intelligent person knows what his capabilities are. Not a DAMN thing wrong with deferring the work to someone else. As long as you have alot of input to how and where you want the modifications to go...

Now the counter point to my response.

Im a "newbie" also. My one and only "full" project car is the one Im currently working on. I never had the opportunity to work on cars as a teenager or young adult. I bought my car as a shell basically (clean slate) and learned to weld, learned about engines and drive trains, suspensions, body work, interior upholstery, brake systems, electrical systems and just about everything that has to do with a car. I started off in a one car garage (attached to my condo) with the only electrical going to it being the one receptacle for the lamp that lit the one stall garage. I needed 220vac for a welder I bought (still didnt know how to weld, never had welded). So I figured out a way to drop a couple lines down from my upstairs unit into my garage. So I FINALLY had 220 for my welder.

I ended up learning how to weld and welded the front and rear sub frames in. Did I screw up ALOT of metal in the process? Heck yeah!!! It wasnt like some of the car building shows you see. It wasnt all coming together like it was supposed to. Thats why I LOVE metal work. If I screw something up I can fix it.

Fast forward 5 years. New house, bigger garage, but still a limited amount of skills and knowledge concerning cars in general (and money, it wasnt growing on trees for me, that was just as much of a limiting factor as my skill level). But I was still plugging away and learning with every step. For every step forward where I could sit back and say, YES, thats good there were just as many if not double that I screwed something up and was saying WTF!!! I want to sell this damn thing and be done with it.

And then fast forward again 10 years to now. Im STILL learning, and STILL screwing things up LOL.. But what keeps me from thinking of ditching the whole project is I finally got to drive the car a few months ago. That was the best day I had with the car. It was still really rough. The tune on the engine (EFI) was still way off. The tune on the suspension was a lil off. And there was SO much that still needed to be done to call it a "car". But once it was a drivable car it injected a whole new motivation for me to work on it.

So yeah, Im still working on it, still screwing up as much as I was 15 years ago, just on different areas LOL And Ill work through the screw ups and learn in the process.

So to sum it up? I think its OK to send a car off to have it modified to get what you want. And I think its OK to stumble through the process (and learn) if you want to do the work yourself.

Thats the thing about car enthusiasts. We ALL love cars right. Thats the common ground. How we get to our goal doesnt really matter much IMO... JR

Ash
09-22-2011, 04:19 AM
Very encouraging words.

BMR Sales
09-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Is there anyway you think I could install all these things on my own since there is quite a bit to replace and me not having an experience or should I just send this off to a professional. Id like to do it but dont know if id be better off letting a pro do it. Tools to do it shouldn't be a problem.

Fortunately for you there are many companies out there making parts for your car which will allow you choose according to your particular budget, wants and mechanical ability. We offer a trick Torque Arm rear suspension system for your car that is a bolt-on kit designed with the DIY mechanic in mind with unbelievable performance.

creekwood08
09-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Well, I have an opposing answer to my own answer.

If you have to ask then it might be abit much for you (and seriously, thats not meant as a knock on you or your question, Im NOT into discouraging people when it comes to doing your OWN work on your car, just the opposite). But if you think it might be a lil much for you to handle comfortably then it might be. A secure and intelligent person knows what his capabilities are. Not a DAMN thing wrong with deferring the work to someone else. As long as you have alot of input to how and where you want the modifications to go...

Now the counter point to my response.

Im a "newbie" also. My one and only "full" project car is the one Im currently working on. I never had the opportunity to work on cars as a teenager or young adult. I bought my car as a shell basically (clean slate) and learned to weld, learned about engines and drive trains, suspensions, body work, interior upholstery, brake systems, electrical systems and just about everything that has to do with a car. I started off in a one car garage (attached to my condo) with the only electrical going to it being the one receptacle for the lamp that lit the one stall garage. I needed 220vac for a welder I bought (still didnt know how to weld, never had welded). So I figured out a way to drop a couple lines down from my upstairs unit into my garage. So I FINALLY had 220 for my welder.

I ended up learning how to weld and welded the front and rear sub frames in. Did I screw up ALOT of metal in the process? Heck yeah!!! It wasnt like some of the car building shows you see. It wasnt all coming together like it was supposed to. Thats why I LOVE metal work. If I screw something up I can fix it.

Fast forward 5 years. New house, bigger garage, but still a limited amount of skills and knowledge concerning cars in general (and money, it wasnt growing on trees for me, that was just as much of a limiting factor as my skill level). But I was still plugging away and learning with every step. For every step forward where I could sit back and say, YES, thats good there were just as many if not double that I screwed something up and was saying WTF!!! I want to sell this damn thing and be done with it.

And then fast forward again 10 years to now. Im STILL learning, and STILL screwing things up LOL.. But what keeps me from thinking of ditching the whole project is I finally got to drive the car a few months ago. That was the best day I had with the car. It was still really rough. The tune on the engine (EFI) was still way off. The tune on the suspension was a lil off. And there was SO much that still needed to be done to call it a "car". But once it was a drivable car it injected a whole new motivation for me to work on it.

So yeah, Im still working on it, still screwing up as much as I was 15 years ago, just on different areas LOL And Ill work through the screw ups and learn in the process.

So to sum it up? I think its OK to send a car off to have it modified to get what you want. And I think its OK to stumble through the process (and learn) if you want to do the work yourself.

Thats the thing about car enthusiasts. We ALL love cars right. Thats the common ground. How we get to our goal doesnt really matter much IMO... JR

Well I think I can do it. I mean my dad is knowledgeable with cars. The only thing is we work completely different schedules. Id really like to do the work myself to get the experience and save some $. I dont know I might break the car down and get over whelmed then send the car off. I guess that would mean less hours a pro would have to work on the car. I might give it a try I'm not for sure yet. Might see if I can get a quote for someone. I live in the Nashville Tn area so theres gotta ppl that would do it.

shep
09-22-2011, 05:43 PM
There are people on the board here in that area might be able to con some into helping out, pizza and beer usually work as a pretty good bribe.

sales@jcg
09-23-2011, 05:15 PM
what you are looking todo with the steering, suspension etc. is a pretty simple task and can be tackled by you with no problems. Just keep the instructions handy and you'll be OK the suspension is simple it is just simply unbolting the old suspension parts and replacing them with the new, although the 4-link does require a tid bit of welding, but I'm sure you can con a friend or family member to take on that task which should only take an hr or so. Depending on the steering option it can be just as easy... Common sense a good set of tools pizza and beer you should be good to go...

JRouche
09-23-2011, 08:02 PM
what you are looking todo with the steering, suspension etc. is a pretty simple task and can be tackled by you with no problems. Just keep the instructions handy and you'll be OK the suspension is simple it is just simply unbolting the old suspension parts and replacing them with the new, although the 4-link does require a tid bit of welding, but I'm sure you can con a friend or family member to take on that task which should only take an hr or so. Depending on the steering option it can be just as easy... Common sense a good set of tools pizza and beer you should be good to go...

Instructions? Thats interesting. I never really saw any instructions for my parts, I must be on the "short" list, dont give that guy instructions, he will screw it up anyway :) And I HAVE!! Ive screwed the best of plans up several times. But... Eventually it works out.

Instructions are great, but with the knowledge that cars are kinda "off" in many dimensions. The old cars anyway. My car is 49 years old, the tolerances were much lower than the cars off the line now.

The new cars have really great tolerances. There are bolt on products that are truly bolt up components. Id love to have the money for a new car and ALL the new bolt on aftermarket products. That part of the business is really working.

Yes sales@jcg, time to keep the instructions for those cars. And even for old cars, I just never saw much in the way for instructions and when there were some it still ended up being a "time to get it to work with what I had" (some modifications). Almost certainly because my car is so old.

Ive read so many posts from folks that are a lil discouraged because the "bolt on" product wasnt correct. And its NOT because the aftermarket product wasnt correct. Its because the old cars are not as uniform and the specs from the factory were a lil loose.

And thats not a bad thing for the original car manufactures or a bad for the aftermarket manufactures. I have to give them (the aftermarket manufactures) huge credit!!! They know the early cars are built kinda loose as far as specs go and they still manufacture parts for the cars so we have something to work with. They could easily ditch the old cars and focus on producing parts for the new cars, it would make their work so much easier.

But they still provide some parts for our old cars, knowing there will be some major fitment issues. Hats off to ALL the business folks that realize there is a market for our cars. Cause if they didnt work with us and decided to drop ALL the old lines then us as consumers would be subjected to the one or two aftermarket manufactures and the rise in cost for the "specialized" parts would go through the roof..

YES!! If there are instructions read the heck out of them. But try not to be discouraged if you run into some fitment issues. Dont be quick to diss the manufacture. Think about buying aftermarket parts for your older car as a 90% bolt up item and you will have to supply the other 10% with your own skills and ingenuity.

Now if you had a 2011 camaro or vett and bought some "bolt on" parts they should bolt right up. If they dont then the aftermarket manufacture didnt do his or her homework , or its an offshore product :box: JR

JRouche
09-23-2011, 08:20 PM
One thing I forgot to mention. My car is a 62 Nova. Every piece of the car is new except for the outer body (the sheetmetal skin). The interior metal (entire floor, firewall, all the engine compartment metal and all the trunk metal) is also new (my make). The entire suspension and frame. And EVERYTHING else, the entire car. So I have dealt with some aftermarket manufactures and dealers.

Older cars are NOT bolt together projects. They are a platform to do whatever you want to do. Right or wrong? There isnt.... I dont care to hear much about the correct way to do something. My car, my project. If it sounds like its not safe then dont get near me :) If it looks ugly then dont look :)

What it comes down to is what fun can you have working on it and driving it. Plain and simple. JR

creekwood08
09-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Well ive pretty much came down to the point where Im just going to buy the air ride stuff ( uppers, lowers, spindles, true turn, single adjustable coilovers, and sway bar). I really dont see a need for me buying a new sub. With the true turn ill be able to throw a 9.5 or 10 in wheel up front. Probly will go with the 9.5. My car is just gonna be a cruiser and maybe once a year see the track. I drive the crap out of it so it will get use. Ive seen great things about ride tech so I think I will be pleased. Im hoping I can get the suspension in. I dont think Ill have a problem. One ? tho.....what is the best way of removing the coil spring?

sales@jcg
09-24-2011, 12:08 PM
JRouche,
Trust me I know, I have plenty of holes in my garage walls from thrown wrenches lol... I have been building cars for some time and trust me I know what you're saying when it comes to tolerances I have had 55-57's which in my experiance are the worst that have made me want to pull my hair out or 1st and 2nd gen f bodies, a bodies etc with new floor pans and 1/4s and nothing lines up there are tons of variables when dealing with older cars, but at the same time alot of my fondest memories are going out in the garage and building my personal cars and I try not to discourage anyone from doing so... I come from a manufacture that produces OEM and after market components and will never tell anyone not to expect a few speed bumps thats just foolish but I will make my self available just about anytime for tech. advice. I do remember what its like being stuck late at night trying to wrap up a project and if we can help we will... Here at the shop we are all enthusiast and understand what it takes, we also know what it's like to not be able to afford a pro built car and having to do it your self, and will only sell a product we know that will work with the least amount of headaches.... Just like my curent project a 65 nova it has new fenders, 1/4s, floor pan and everything has needed a little bit of love but the end result will be worth it... My 71 on the other hand took very little to no effort which is why it was hard to let go it seemed to have been completely unmolested....

zzfranczz
10-09-2011, 11:05 PM
W tho.....what is the best way of removing the coil spring?

Get a spring compressor. You can get them at Sears or any Tool store that has automotive tools. Be safe with these things as they can be deadly.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM222402017P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

Most of the work can be learned. I am doing the same\similar type of project and will be farming out the work that will alleviate my frustration. I figure those tasks (welding) I will learn at some point but not now. I am rusty but have not forgotten my skills. I am determined to do the work but I want to get to the fun or the hard work. I plan to do the interior, body work and mechanical work myself. Welding is going to a professional.

As far as therapy there is nothing like hurling your tool box 20 feet into the street. You figure the Shot put wind up down the driveway would have been enough but there is true satisfaction in watching it fly and crash. There is nothing more humbling than cleaning it up.

My advice. Find a shop near your house that you can trust and talked to them. Plan the work and research the products you want to use. Find some books and read up on the work you want done or you are most interested in. My interests are fiberglass, electrical systems and Fuel injection so I am concentrating on those topics. Read the posts around this site about some of the builds that have been done. Figure out what you want to do and what you want some one else to do. Write down a plan. Write down a list of the parts you will need. Research the vendors and work related to them. See if they are truly bolt-ons or need welding or customizing.

I watched every episode of overhauling. It helped me learn that there was a process and seeing them do it helped me learn how to plan mine. Once I figured that out I followed the builds on this site and studied their build process. Each will be different but similar enough to know that there is an order. I have even written mine down a few times just so I understand it and could think about it.

The last thing...Just start it. Tomorrow I will be making a few calls to start mine.