PDA

View Full Version : TCP front coil conversion question

A .
09-20-2011, 09:44 AM
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/fcoc-fd.html

I have a 64 falcon and I was wondering if there's a way to lower my front end up to 4inches with this setup...
Thanks.

Bryce
09-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Yep I am sure you could.

A .
09-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Jim from tcp emailed me back saying about the most it can go is 2-2.5in. I've looked at your front suspension a number of times. Can't at least 3 inches be achieved if I use a 2in drop spindle and TCP's 1in dopped pivot shaft?
thanks for the reply!
-A.

Bryce
09-21-2011, 10:24 PM
The 1 inch drop shaft does not really lower the car 1". it lowers the UCA attach point 1" and lowers the spring mount about .5".

I have my car about 3" lower in the front. The issue becomes tire width vs tire clearance at the lower ride heights.

A .
09-21-2011, 10:34 PM
What'd you use to lower it the extra inch? And i'm ok with possibly rolling my fenders and was thinking of running a 245 17x35. I wish I could go bigger like a 255 but i think clearance would be an issue.

Bryce
09-21-2011, 10:40 PM
I lowered it until my LCA were horizontal. That is the best as a starting point for handling. I have stock 65 falcon V8 spindles.

GrabberGT
09-22-2011, 06:16 AM
Your options for lowering further than the coil-overs allow are to modify the upper c/o mount or create a spacer to sandwich between the upper c/o mount and the shock tower mount. I've done both. Like Bryce mentioned though, optimal suspension geometry is achieved with the lower control arms at a horizontal position and not angled up. I've gone beyond that for cosmetic reasons. Im waiting for someone to develop a dropped spindle to elevate the issue though.

You only option for a dropped spindle is Fatman Fab. These limit your brake options to the use of 11" rotors designs. Either Wilwood, Grenada, or Maverick.

A .
09-22-2011, 06:48 AM
I like the idea of lowering it 3in since that's what I did in the rear. And keeping the lca horizontal is what I was planning on doing. Just wasn't sure exactly how to get the lca down that extra .5-1in lower.

A .
09-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Thanks for tje replies
-A.

Dee T
09-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Your options for lowering further than the coil-overs allow are to modify the upper c/o mount or create a spacer to sandwich between the upper c/o mount and the shock tower mount. I've done both. Like Bryce mentioned though, optimal suspension geometry is achieved with the lower control arms at a horizontal position and not angled up. I've gone beyond that for cosmetic reasons. Im waiting for someone to develop a dropped spindle to elevate the issue though.

You only option for a dropped spindle is Fatman Fab. These limit your brake options to the use of 11" rotors designs. Either Wilwood, Grenada, or Maverick.

Not anymore streetortrack offers a 13inch brake setup for granada spindles now. Basically a Mustang Cobra brake kit but it' looks to be pretty well thought out. They offer alot of stuff for us Ford guys though some of it is kind of pricey.

GrabberGT
09-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Not anymore streetortrack offers a 13inch brake setup for granada spindles now. Basically a Mustang Cobra brake kit but it' looks to be pretty well thought out. They offer alot of stuff for us Ford guys though some of it is kind of pricey.

This was just posted on another thread here. It looks like the user has adapted the Wilwood Mustang II Pro Spindle to rear steer. This may take some looking in to as its a shorter than stock classic mustang spindle but...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2387156/1969-ford-mustang/page-5

A .
09-23-2011, 09:15 AM
I lowered it until my LCA were horizontal. That is the best as a starting point for handling. I have stock 65 falcon V8 spindles.

What made you decide against the 2" dropped spindles? Because your lca wouldnt be level?

Dee T
09-23-2011, 03:20 PM
What made you decide against the 2" dropped spindles? Because your lca wouldnt be level?

More than likely because granada drop spindles were only used on street rods,and until just recently no one offered big brake setups for them. Dropped spindles do not really effect the angle of the lower control arm. They just move the actual spindle higher up on the connection between the upper and lower control arm, giving the car a lower ride height. The car may also be lowered more to get the LCA horizontal.

GrabberGT
09-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Looking at the caliper bracket mounting points between the classic mustang disc spindle and the Fatman spindle looks about the same. I wonder what the difference is that would keep you from mounting a Wilwood big brake kit.

Dee T
09-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Looking at the caliper bracket mounting points between the classic mustang disc spindle and the Fatman spindle looks about the same. I wonder what the difference is that would keep you from mounting a Wilwood big brake kit.

I have never personally looked (Had in my possession) at a granada spindle so I don't know what the difference is. I can only say that I was thinking about going this route about a year and a half ago until I got to looking around to see where I may get a better brake setup, and no one made a 13" kit for granada spindles.

GrabberGT
09-25-2011, 02:52 AM
I have never personally looked (Had in my possession) at a granada spindle so I don't know what the difference is. I can only say that I was thinking about going this route about a year and a half ago until I got to looking around to see where I may get a better brake setup, and no one made a 13" kit for granada spindles.

I may have to make this a winter project. It shouldnt be too hard to make a bracket for 13" breaks for this spindle. It looks far to similar to the Mustang. I need drop spindles before new wheels and tires and I want to step up to 13" brakes at the same time I change wheels.