PDA

View Full Version : Camaro steering arms - effect on turning radius

Turbo67camaro
09-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm getting very close to buying wheels, and finding that the fairly standard tire size of 245 / 40 / 18 on my 67 Camaro is calling for some fairly non-standard backspacing (i.e. ~3.5"), especially on the drivers side with the wheel turned all the way to the left (based on using a Percy's Wheelrite).

My question is - will the different length 1st gen Camaro steering arms affect how far you can turn the wheel?

I have a pair of the short Z/28 arms on there now, and I'd like to limit the steering a bit to keep the tire from rubbing on the subframe. I'm thinking of trying a set of the medium or long ones to see if they'll limit the steering a bit.

Another other option is to tap my lower control arms to installing a steering limiter.

As it stands now, the smaller than usual backspacing to prevent subframe rub is pushing the tire out beyond the lip of the fender a bit.

I can't go with 17" wheels, since my brakes require 18" wheels.

Other related info: ATS AFX Spindles, SPC upper (adjustable) and lower arms.

I don't have the tools at the moment to check if the alignment is way out of whack, but it certainly could be since I've not got to that point yet with the car.

David Pozzi
09-18-2011, 09:47 PM
My 69 race car has a nut welded on where the stock stops are located on the A arm. I'll trade my long arms for your short ones! :naughty:
Honestly, the longer arms won't restrict turn angle at all.
David

Turbo67camaro
09-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks David.

I had a feeling that was the case.

I have all three sets of arms - short, medium, and long. The medium ones have a larger stop built into them, but it doesn't look large enough to limit my steering to the degree I need. I may try them, but I don't think they'll cut it.

I think my best option is to use the short arms, and incorporate a larger stop in the lower control arm or the steering arm itself. The short arms will ensure I maximize wheel clearance at the tie rod.

David Pozzi
09-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Sounds good. The only way long arms would reduce turn angle would be if your box hit it's internal stops before the long steering arms hit their stops. But the box would be easily damaged if you hit a curb for example. It's easy to weld a bit of metal to the lower A arm stop to reduce travel a little.