PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some guidance. 68 Fairlane content inside.

Randle2I
09-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I have a 1968 Ford Fairlane (3 on the tree, straight 6, base model) that I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on. It's nothing fancy and it handles like an old 1968 American boat with original suspension would, but I would like to modernize it a bit. The problem is it's not a Camaro or Mustang or Chevelle so parts aren't exactly knocking on my door waiting to be installed. Without going crazy and modifying the frame what would my options be? I'm new to the whole suspension thing so any help with good products, bad products, what to look for, etc would be appreciated.

TIA :cheers:

exwestracer
09-18-2011, 02:27 PM
I believe that car uses the old coil-on-top suspension like the early Mustangs. You might take some measurements and see if Mustang parts will bolt on. If so, you are home free. Even if the sizes are different, take a look at some of the common modifications for Mustangs of the same era to get ideas on how to improve the suspension. I would probably ditch the rear leaf springs and go to a 2-link with torque arm in the rear, but you'll get a lot of opinions on that... Basically your car will respond to all the same tricks a Camaro or Chevelle will. I seem to remember the Fairlanes etc. had pretty bad bumpsteer from the factory, so that might be something to look at improving. They were raced in NASCAR (Torino) during that era, so there is some history to work from.

Randle2I
09-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the reply. I've been doing some reading on the 2-link and to say that there's a lot of opinions on it would be an understatement. What exactly would be the benefits of going to the 2-link in my situation (other than cost and relative ease)? I'll check on the measurements this weekend for the front suspension.

zombiekiller
09-19-2011, 12:03 PM
many circle track parts will fit as well. I'm in the same boat with my galaxie. It is frustrating at times.

Break out that tape measure and let your fingers do the walking.

another handy tool is the parts interchange book.

it can be found online Here (http://books.google.com/books?id=MFrxUXmxQuwC&lpg=PA76&dq=1966%20full%20size%20ford%20upper%20control%20a rms&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=true).

Randle2I
09-19-2011, 12:58 PM
another handy tool is the parts interchange book.

it can be found online Here (http://books.google.com/books?id=MFrxUXmxQuwC&lpg=PA76&dq=1966%20full%20size%20ford%20upper%20control%20a rms&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=true).

You're my hero for today. This is awesome.

zombiekiller
09-19-2011, 01:47 PM
You're my hero for today. This is awesome.

no worries man. Like I said, it is super handy.

One word of caution, don't take it as exact gospel, double check the measurements. I'd say it's correct 99.5% or the time.