PDA

View Full Version : removing a Ridetech air line ??'s

HotRod47
09-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I have a bag over leaf rear system in a 72 Camaro I just bought. One of the rear bags blew out the other night. I have a new one on order.

My question is, how do I remover the air line fitting at the top of the bag? It is one of the black plastic fittings. Is there a special tool I need? I do not see anything listed on their web site.

RS_Customs
09-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Are you just trying to remove the air line from the fitting?
You can do that by pushing the air line into the fitting, when you push the airline in, the upper ring on the fitting should move towards the fitting. This is the lock, hold it down and pull the airline out. Sometime takes a few tries.

Robert

HotRod47
09-17-2011, 01:26 PM
At the end of the air line is black 90 degree fitting that I need to remove from the top of the air bag so I can remove and replace the bag.

RS_Customs
09-17-2011, 01:48 PM
ah ok,

I guess one like this? http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspension-components/components-hardware/compressor-system-components/fittings/1-4-npt-x-3-8-tube-swivel-90.html

Looks like a 12 point socket configuration. Can you get a regular metric or standard wrench to grab it? I haven't used that particular fitting, so at a loss for hands on experience, sorry.

Robert

JRouche
09-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Now Im a lil curious. Like Glenn said if its the fitting he showed its a wrenching fitting. But I have a feeling you could have seen that. So it sounds like more too the picture than what was described? Is the angled fitting obstructed so you cant turn it all the way around? A picture would be cool if so.

If not, and the info was what you were looking for yer good to go. Well, after you know why the bag failed. They dont usually go bad. But even the smallest amount of rubbing will kill them. JR

marolf101x
09-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Like JRouche said, you need to make sure the air spring is clear of ANY obstruction. In a battle between a rubber air spring and anything metal, metal will always win.

Here's what you do:
1-push the air line in toward the fitting
2-hold the grey plastic lock on the fitting in when pushing in the air line
3-pull the air line out of the fitting
4-remove the air spring
5-use a 9/16" wrench to remove the fitting (if it's the same as the one listed above)

HotRod47
09-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks,
Glenn

marolf101x
09-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Looks like the bracket came loose then "flexed" the metal to the breaking point.

I would strongly advise looking into the AirBar. Not only will it eliminate this problem, but you'll get better geometry out of the rear as well, thereby providing more traction, better ride quality, and better handling.

The Air Over Leaf systems were originally designed as "helper" springs for pick-up trucks. Over the years hot rodders have adapted them to hot rods and muscle cars to allow them to lower the vehicle without replacing the rear suspension. It does achieve that goal, but it is by no means the "proper" way of doing it.

HotRod47
09-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the info. Not having seen and Airbar in person, how much room is needed where it attaches to the floor? The car has fuel injection, so the wiring and fuel lines are in the area. I could take a picture and show you. I just want to know if I need to remove or reroute it all.

JRouche
09-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Hey Glenn.. Great looking CAR!!! Shes a looker... And as far as the suspension goes now? Ill defer to Britt at air ride. You will be in good hands. JR