PDA

View Full Version : new GTO seats in a first gen camaro

KevinT68
06-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I just bout a set of new GTO seats from an '04 both the fronts and the rear, and I want to put them into my 68 camaro. I did a search on here and the web and couldent find anything. I would like to know if any of you have tried the sawp or have anyinfo about it. I know for the fronts I will proboly have to ditich all the factory brackets and power adjust stuff and fab a frame. I dunno about the rear seat. Any info anyone has I would greatly appreciate. Thanks

Camaro_Kyle
06-28-2005, 07:47 PM
A member on Camaros.net (I think he is a member here too) tried this and was not able to get it to work. Here (http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46995) is the thread.
HTH
Kyle

KevinT68
06-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I think though if I modify the mounting brackets so that they are narower I can make them fit. I measured the floor pan and the seats would never ba a direct dolt on unless you carved an inchand a half into the door.

CAMAROBOY69
06-29-2005, 03:52 AM
Anything is possible. For a member to say he couldnt get it to work is just not acceptable IMO.
The fronts will probably be very easy. The rear will take a little more work but with some imagination and fabrication im sure you can do it. There is no such thing as "couldn't" or "can't" on this site. :icon_razz

Where do you live? If you are near me mabey I can help you do the install or mock up some designs for you. I looked at your profile but didnt see your state location.

KevinT68
06-29-2005, 06:08 AM
I am in So. California near L.A. I actucaly think the fronts will more difficult to fit because they are bigger than stock but the rear seat is the same front to back and 3 inches narrower on either side than the stock seat. If you are nearby I would appreciate the help.

CAMAROBOY69
06-29-2005, 06:10 AM
Unfortunately I live in the wrong state for almost everything and wont be able to help you. Im in Michigan. :pat:
THe good news is that there are a LOT of members from this site in California and im sure you should easily be able to get help from someone.

scogin918
06-29-2005, 08:35 AM
try living in South Carolina. I have to mail order everything. Where is Super Shops when you need them?

dgumoe
06-29-2005, 12:59 PM
lol...supershops went under when they expanded to mail order catalog, ASAP i think it was....i knew a guy that ran one of their stores in clearwater....something about the mail order catalog and being like a million in the hole to bfgoodrich

Bill Howell
06-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Remember when modifying the mounts not to raise them up or you will end up with head to roof clearance issues. I know that a lot of the later model GM seats are too wide to fit between the tunnel and door. That is a real shame too since the modern factory seats have all the bells and whistle now that were unheard of in 69. The great thing about the modern seats are if you have to cut them down (which doesn't sound it is going to be an issue in your case), it isn't half the work it would be to modify the 69 seat. If you can not make them work in you camaro, just save them, one day you may use them on an A-body. They have more room between the tunnel and door.
Ask Kevin (Jagarang) how I am so educated about all this, no don't, it may make him :crying: .LOL

KevinT68
06-29-2005, 03:21 PM
I measured these so I know they will fit between the door and tunnel. I know I cant go up with the brackets because I think the seats may already be to tall, so I may actucaly have to completley redo the mounting I think I need to drop the seat about an inch for it sit right.

apex69
07-08-2005, 03:06 AM
KT68,

I have taken seats and sectioned out anywhere from an inch to three inches of the frame which requires the covers to be narrowed, as well as the power drive mechs. Yea its some work but what cha gonna do with your time anyway.

CAMAROBOY69 is right, "There is no such thing as "couldn't" or "can't" on this site" just different approaches to how you accomplish the finished project. The seats will fit less the factory brackets and power mechs. I used some Saturn Ion Red seats in a 69. I ditched the underpinnings of the seat reworked the metal base allowing the original 69 seat brackets to be used.

Ciao!

KevinT68
07-20-2005, 09:29 PM
I have been playing with them some and I cant make them work as is, so in order to keep all the power goodies I think I will have to section the frame. Do you have any tips on doing this or is there anyone in the Pasadena CA area would would know how? It looks like there is only one moving part that would need to be shortened, the rest is just frame and plastic. It will sit to long I think, no matter what I do, the frame is 2 3/4 inches longer than the factory one. Havent messed with the rear yet, I'll start playing with it tommrow.

KevinT68
07-21-2005, 08:45 PM
I was working on the rear today I got the bottom to fit pruty nice, i had to take out the center piece for them to sit on the floor, I think I can wedge it back in once the seats are mounted it wount look quite as clean but it will lokk better than floor. The back is still 2 1/2 to 3 inches to tall. I think If I cut the brackets off the bottom it will give me about 2 inches but i dont know how to get the rest. I cant lean it foward or the bottom will stick out to much(It is alread about 2 inches further out than stock, I will have to find some short people to cary around)

Also In order for the back to even fit I had to cut a section for the trans tunnel in the base. The way this seat is, its almost like the floor in the GTO is flat. I've never seen one so I dont know