PDA

View Full Version : Play in Front End AFTER New Parts

knucklebusted
09-14-2011, 04:17 PM
So, anyone with power steering knows how much play is in the wheel when the car is off and the steering isn't locked, about 2-3 inches before it gets real hard to move, right?

Well, my '70 Buick Stage 1 GS, after putting all new tubular control arms, all new ball joints, tall upper ball joints, all new springs and shocks, new idler, drag link and sway bar bushings and a new/reman close ratio steering gear box last year with a performance alignment 2 months ago, it doesn't feel as tight as it should be.

The car has stock disc spindles, stock ride height with stock springs and stock 15" chrome wheels. I like the stock look but want it to corner on rails, which it does much better than stock.

Going down the road at slower speeds it feels like it is wandering, like the gear box is worn out or the idler is shot. They feel good as individual parts but it still seems to have play at center around 25-45.

The alignment was +4 caster, -1 camber and 1/16" toe in total. I realize the added caster can make it harder to steer and may be magnifying the effort to move the wheel.

Could my toe need adjustment? Would I need to go closer to 0 or closer to 1/8" to make it more stable?