PDA

View Full Version : DSE MINI TUB KIT w/LEAF SPRINGS

DKz Garage
09-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I sure this has been hashed over more than a few times....Looking to buy the DSE mini tub kit with leafs and offset shackles + a rear sway bar. Seems like alot of guys have shed the rear leafs for the 4-link set up..... I am not going to "track" the car, just want the killer look that a 335 rear tire gives you. I want the car to handle/hook and drive reasonably well. Am I doing my self a disservice by not going all the way with a 4-link / 3-link??

MrQuick
09-13-2011, 07:55 PM
No, leafs have done many members good.

DKz Garage
09-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Also, Has anyone had any good/bad experience with the DSE 2" drop leafs??

MonzaRacer
09-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Honestly I wont knock DSE springs as they do work, but leafs came on wagons, and fir the record I helped a guy switch from drop leafs, not sure if Hotchkis or DSE but car handled SOOO good, but we put an Air Bar in and Shockwaves (when he bought kit they didnt have rear coil overs out yet) and he intends to swap those over to his drag car and switch to Coil Overs from Ridetech as he has them up front I believe. Check prices as that would be first teller, and the coil over with bolt in air bar should ride a bit smoother by design (leafs are rougher riding even though the companies have done great work on them) Give Frank a Prodigy a call or Ridetech but I am pretty sure the Air Bar will clear those tires.
Good luck in what ever you do and post some pics!

sr73bu
09-14-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm going with the same kit for my fathers 67 camaro i'm starting in a month or two. A friend of mines father has the kit on his 68, it was easy to install and the car handles great. Check out some old trans am videos... leaf springs work just fine....Hope this helps.

-Sean

Patrick
09-14-2011, 05:40 PM
I have a set 3" DSE drops springs, DSE offset shackles, and a narrowed 9in housing for sale. The springs are brand new, still in box. I also have a 3.90 gear with Auburn LSD (9k miles). $650.00 plus shipping for all. Call if you are interested.
Four Zero Seven -212-0006

Patrick

kp.touring
09-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Just a quick note with leaf springs you'll have 315 tires under a '69 not 335's. You will need the the Quadra link to run 335's.

Kevin

Rick D
09-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Just a quick note with leaf springs you'll have 315 tires under a '69 not 335's. You will need the the Quadra link to run 335's.

Kevin

On a 67 or 68 Yes but a 69 Camaro 335 fit, I and many other have done, and DSE states on their site you can run 335's w/leafs on a 69. Even in the mini tub vid they made they show you a 335.

6D9 Matt
09-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Im kinda in the same position... Im leaning towards going ahead and going the 4-link route, but just not sure. Trying to decide whether the 4-link is worth the extra money (getting a new Moser 12-bolt at the same time I do the minitub, etc).

One thing to think about is if you go 4-link, you WILL NOT need the whole DSE minitub kit ($1,300), you would only need the deep tubs ($400). So that will save you about $800-900. Then, if you use a 4-link, you DO NOT need a new narrowed fuel tank, you only need to notch the corners if you want tailpipes coming out the back (so could save some money there, especially if you dont want tailpipes run at all and just run dumps which means you are saving on not having to buy a new tank at all).

So really, the cost youre saving on the deep tubs vs minitub kit cuts the cost of the 4-link almost in half (save $800-900 and the 4-link is $2000+ depending on which you go with). Just gotta ask yourself if that extra money is worth the ride quality of 4-link over leafs.

ProdigyCustoms
09-16-2011, 05:59 AM
Very well put Matt. Handling can be very equal but the ride quality difference in a 4 link or torque arms VS leaf springs is a BIG difference. Leafs work, but when you flatten them you increase the spring rate and take away usefull travel. With a 4 link, all the adjustment is made with shock location, spring rate stays the same.

Most all the 4 link and torque arms are between $1900 and $2400, add tubs your looking at as little as $2300 to $2700, and the leaf spring kit is $1300. So right at a grand difference. If you building a Moser, we can provide the Moser with most 4 link brackets already jig welded making the rear a bolt in

MuscleRodz
09-18-2011, 05:55 PM
I sure this has been hashed over more than a few times....Looking to buy the DSE mini tub kit with leafs and offset shackles + a rear sway bar. Seems like alot of guys have shed the rear leafs for the 4-link set up..... I am not going to "track" the car, just want the killer look that a 335 rear tire gives you. I want the car to handle/hook and drive reasonably well. Am I doing my self a disservice by not going all the way with a 4-link / 3-link??If you are looking to do it in steps, you will have to redo the shock box later due to different placement from leafs to link rear suspension. Aside from that, leaf will handle fine, but nothing compared to a 4 link or other system. If looks are most important, leafs will do the job fine and save some pennies to put towards the new wheels and tires.

78silverZ28
09-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Leafs have surprised me many times in the past, and if you are using it as a street car save the cash and go with them

g-machine
09-24-2011, 06:18 PM
I am facing the same decision concerning leafs or 4 link for my 79 Camaro mini-tub. I also plan on using my car the same way. I purchased my DSE sub-frame connectors on eBay new in the box from the original buyer who is building a pro touring car - so I had to ask then when sell this item? He found another cost savings option when it comes to the 4 link set-up:

http://www.martzchassis.net/

Check out their website. Their 4 link suspension is $1340 plus they offer deep tubs for your car - deeper than DSE. 335 rubber will fit with inches to spare! The DSE connectors tie into the spring perches so they would not work, but he used them as a template to build his own and they looked great.

The Martz products are nice but I'm still using the DSE products. I like to keep everything the same when it comes to part manufacturers.....just my preference.

opnwide
10-04-2011, 11:33 AM
The four link on the Martz website is a drag racing style 4 link. Good for pro-STREET, not pro-TOURING. A street/road race 4 link has the upper bars at an angle and no panhard rod is necessary.