PDA

View Full Version : RideTech choices, need to make it happen.

1970 TT Rustang
09-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Ok, right now my car is up in the air. I just removed my two rear air shocks (7000series shockwave single adjustable), due to the fact that one shock was leaking. I sent the pair out to ridetech and they told me that the one that was leaking is not rebuildable do the the age of the shock, the other shock is in working condition and is newer. So they proceed to tell me that i can get a 200 dollar credit towads new air shocks for the pair (shockwave single adjustable which are 900 without the credit).
So i start asking about coilovers, they have single adjustable pair for 650 and they will give me a 100 dollar credit for my old ones.( I like the triple adjustable, but $$$). So iam stuck now, should i just get new shockwave bags in the rear. Or do i go with the single adjustable coilovers in the rear and run shockwaves in the front (Has anyone done this? any negative benefits?). Or do i rip the hole shockwave system with the one broken shock and sell it and do coilovers all the way around.
Thanks for the help.

Bad94
09-13-2011, 04:03 PM
I have the singles and i love them.

Do you plan to track ur car everyweekend? Or just street drive the car, and auto x the car a few times a year along with a track day or two?

1970 TT Rustang
09-13-2011, 05:25 PM
I have the singles and i love them.

Do you plan to track ur car everyweekend? Or just street drive the car, and auto x the car a few times a year along with a track day or two?

You have single coils? I might track it maybe once a year at the most.

Bad94
09-13-2011, 06:09 PM
You have single coils? I might track it maybe once a year at the most.

Then i would just do the single adjustable coil overs,

wellis77
09-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Are you still running air up front? If you do, are you planning to replace that with coil-over's as well?

chuckd71
09-13-2011, 09:27 PM
If you are keeping air up front then keep it in the rear. You could mix and match, but why?

JRouche
09-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Sucks the shock is the only problem.. They said it wasnt rebuild-able? Thats odd cause the 7000 SW is not that old. I thought their earlier SWs had some similar integrated shocks like whats on their current SWs. But they were Chris Alston's shocks of Chassisworks?? I may be wrong but I think??

Um, just to clarify for those not used to the air springs, SWs.
They are not air shocks, hydraulic shocks. The spring is the air part, and thats prolly still good to go. There is a hydraulic shock in the center of the air spring. Think of a coilover with an air spring on the outside and not a coil spring on the outside.

Who did you talk to at ART??? JR

bret
09-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Ok, right now my car is up in the air. I just removed my two rear air shocks (7000series shockwave single adjustable), due to the fact that one shock was leaking. I sent the pair out to ridetech and they told me that the one that was leaking is not rebuildable do the the age of the shock, the other shock is in working condition and is newer. So they proceed to tell me that i can get a 200 dollar credit towads new air shocks for the pair (shockwave single adjustable which are 900 without the credit).
So i start asking about coilovers, they have single adjustable pair for 650 and they will give me a 100 dollar credit for my old ones.( I like the triple adjustable, but $$$). So iam stuck now, should i just get new shockwave bags in the rear. Or do i go with the single adjustable coilovers in the rear and run shockwaves in the front (Has anyone done this? any negative benefits?). Or do i rip the hole shockwave system with the one broken shock and sell it and do coilovers all the way around.
Thanks for the help.

Be aware that by trading in your old ShockWaves for new RideTech ShockWaves [or coilovers] you will be going a radical step forward in shock technology. Your current units are likely Varishock based...we used those for several years. Still a decent twin tube small piston shock but technology progresses in every venue, shocks included. Our new stuff uses the impact forged large piston monotube shock cartridge for both the ShockWave and the coilover. If you are going to drive this car agressively on the street and go to a couple track days per year...the non-adjustable will do everything you want. beautiful ride quality, confident handling, and firm control through the turnd and the bumps. If you really want to do some tuning at the track, the single rebound adjustable units are performing just was well for most people as the triples.
So, why consider the triples? Well, for the guys who have the ambition and talent to spend the time to really play with the various adjustments at the track, theres not much that you cant do with those shocks.

So, why didn't we keep some repair parts around for the Varishocks? We did...for about 2 years. At this point Chassisworks can still rebuild that Varishock based unit for a nominal fee.

Why are we offering a trade in program? So the guys [and girls] who have previously spent their hard earned money for our stuff can have a head start on enjoying the performance improvements of our new stuff. Think of the difference between a C5 Z06 Corvette and C6 Z06. The C5 Z06 was state-of-the-art in 2005...then in 2006 it all took a giant leap forward again!

My personal opinion? Obviously heavily biased, even within our own company, but I still think the overall perfromance [and convenience] is at least as good with the ShockWaves as with the coilovers. You will not be disappointed either way. Trade in your old Shockwaves for the new ShockWaves [either NA or SA], leave your current ShockWaves on the front.

1970 TT Rustang
09-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Ok, thanks everyone. I slept on it Iam going to stick to the shockwaves. I have double adjusts in the front.
Should I just do the single adjusts again. or should I go with doubles? again I might track the car one lap once a year lol.
Again thanks all and Bret

MonzaRacer
09-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Like Bret said the new singles are performing for the majority as good as triple adjustable's. You have the lines and air ran just keep it air and enjoy newer, better parts.
Yeah I see where it suck it broke but then we all have had older parts wear out and not be repairable. With the trade in program its getting something back and getting newer, better parts at a lesser price because you already paid the price for better stuff before.
A lot of people talk as good parts game but Bret backs it up, both in fairness AND by beating his own stuff to make it better.
Good Luck

bret
09-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Ok, thanks everyone. I slept on it Iam going to stick to the shockwaves. I have double adjusts in the front.
Should I just do the single adjusts again. or should I go with doubles? again I might track the car one lap once a year lol.
Again thanks all and Bret

We transitioned from the double adjustable twin tube shocks to the triple adjustable monotube shock. The triples are an amazing shock if you want to invest the money in a kick ass tuning tool , but I would still recommend the singles as the best bang for your buck.

1970 TT Rustang
09-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Ok Bret, thats again ill put my order in tomorrow with dan.
Rich

1970 TT Rustang
10-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Ok i just want to post a little update i got the rear shocks in and went over the rear setup and all is well. the front is a problem the front shocks are leaking but working i going to send them back they are double adjusts and iam going to do singles like in the rear.
here is a few shots i took today.

LowFast
10-22-2011, 05:07 AM
Very sharp looking car.

John Wright
10-22-2011, 05:51 AM
Very nice looking Mustang....I'm a chevy guy, but I really like this car.

beau@ridetech
10-24-2011, 04:58 AM
Very nice looking car. Make sure and let us know what you think of the New Single's you are putting on the car.

1970 TT Rustang
10-25-2011, 04:12 PM
thanks all for the kind words. I had my doubts about my setup but it coming along well.
Ill let you know Beau

bishir
10-31-2011, 06:51 AM
My first classic was a 69 Mustang. 69-70 are still my favorite years. Great looking car! It's nice to see a green one too.

Black93GT
11-03-2011, 05:16 AM
Very nice looking Mustang....I'm a chevy guy, but I really like this car.
I don't like mustangs... but I like this car!