PDA

View Full Version : Front Upper control arm help Please!

zombiekiller
09-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for upper and possibly lower control arms. They can be for the following vehicles:

1965-72 full size ford
1972-76 Ford Torino or Mercury Montego
65-72 ford thunderbird

I'd like to get tubular arms, but at this point i'm a little desperate. I need to get my galaxie mobile again before the end of the month as i'm going to be moving ( again) and my galaxie is currently on jackstands.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bryce
09-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Does hotchkis make a set, I think Leno's galaxy has some prototype.

zombiekiller
09-12-2011, 11:55 AM
they have nothing but front sways and shocks (which are RCD).

added to the list are 74-78 cougar.

I really can't believe that there is zero aftermarket support for any of these cars.

I ordered shaft kits to at least get my car movable and I'll weld up the cracks in my factory arms for now, but there's no way these will hold up long term.

Bryce
09-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Dave,

Could you build your own?

Can you post a picture? Maybe you can repurpose another UCA. What is the bolt spacing on the cross shaft?

NOT A TA
09-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I talked to my bud with the Ford parts Dave, and he's going to look in his warehouse sometime during the week when he goes there. He thought he had a set from a 72 Torino. I'll PM ya when I find out from him.

zombiekiller
09-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Dave,

Could you build your own?

Can you post a picture? Maybe you can repurpose another UCA. What is the bolt spacing on the cross shaft?

I'll snap a picture in the morning. I have one of them pulled off and in front of the car.

I am sure that I could build my own without too much trouble. I just dont have the time in the next few weeks to pretty much engineer new arms. If i'm going to make my own, i'd like to take my time. I would love the chance to be lazt and just buy them. :)

Not to mention , my fab tools are in storage in delaware.

I talked to my bud with the Ford parts Dave, and he's going to look in his warehouse sometime during the week when he goes there. He thought he had a set from a 72 Torino. I'll PM ya when I find out from him.

Awesome. Thanks! they would need to be from a car built after march. pre-march are the old style , which tons of companies make aftermarket, but dont fit.

I even tried to track down some old nascar arms, no dice.

I ordered my cross shafts so when they come in, i'll make sure that they fit, then i'll weld up the cracks at my buddies shop to get my junk mobile. Before I can really trust it, i'm going to have to come up with a solution though. Maybe after I get it moved and can tear it down again, i'll send the arms to someone and have them fab something for me. The crazy thing is that most of the ford suspensions from this era are the same arm/rod/spring/shock design, just slightly different dimensions. I'm still dumbfounded that no one makes anything.

I had to get cross shafts because The bolts had started to walk at some point, so some dummy just tightened them and cross threaded them. I tried to use a die to fix the threads, but it looked ugly and i didnt trust them, even just to move the car. I stupidly pressed in the new bushings before i checked the arms from cracks and before I made my attempt to chase the threads, so now, if i want to use my nice new poly bushings, i need to press them back out and hope that i dont screw up the shells.

here's some pics that i stole from ebay.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Bryce
09-12-2011, 05:08 PM
If the centers are 6" apart you could but some new circle track stuff at teh required length.

zombiekiller
09-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to get some solid measurements on them when I get home from work today. Then I guess I'll start sifting through speedway's circle track catalog.